Canal Boat or Waterways World

Knighty

Featured Posts

Morning everyone, I received a ‘Canal Boat’ magazine subscription as a gift a little while ago and have recently renewed,       I’m thinking of taking Waterways World as well but would love to know which publication people think is the best & why?

?

As was said years ago in a different context, I would say this wouldn't I but for boats and boating I think Canal Boat has the edge but for wider waterways content and history Waterways World so it depends upon you. As an example, commercial carrying may get  paragraph in Canal Boat's news pages but Waterways world would have a whole article about some aspect or another.

3 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

As was said years ago in a different context, I would say this wouldn't I but for boats and boating I think Canal Boat has the edge but for wider waterways content and history Waterways World so it depends upon you. As an example, commercial carrying may get  paragraph in Canal Boat's news pages but Waterways world would have a whole article about some aspect or another.

I think you're spot on there Tony.

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, Knighty said:

Morning everyone, I received a ‘Canal Boat’ magazine subscription as a gift a little while ago and have recently renewed,       I’m thinking of taking Waterways World as well but would love to know which publication people think is the best & why?

?

If you subscribe to Canal Boat for long enough you will start to see they have to repeat stuff. Eventually after seeing this happen for a short while I cancelled my subscription.

I can't comment on WWW as I havent subscribed to it.

2 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

If you subscribe to Canal Boat for long enough you will start to see they have to repeat stuff. Eventually after seeing this happen for a short while I cancelled my subscription.

As longtime subscribers to both, we have noticed this, yes. It's because each month they like to include a "cruising guide" to a particular canal or section of canal. Fine, but there are only so many canals (and rivers) to write about. So after a few years, the same ones are bound to come round again.

Very useful for people in their first few years of boating, or of interest in boating, though.

Just now, The Happy Nomad said:

Yes but not the Q&As unless the question is asked again ------- and again, and again. That is little different to this forum, the same basic questions keep being asked. I must admit getting enough new questions has become almost impossible since the summer but I am making up by using questions from 2011 that I have not used before although if one had a lot of emails going back and forth and I had not deleted all the emails one might slip through as a repeat.

• Greenie 1

38 minutes ago, Athy said:

As longtime subscribers to both, we have noticed this, yes. It's because each month they like to include a "cruising guide" to a particular canal or section of canal. Fine, but there are only so many canals (and rivers) to write about. So after a few years, the same ones are bound to come round again.

Very useful for people in their first few years of boating, or of interest in boating, though.

But as with cruising, the experience of going along a waterway that you have not been on for a while is still interesting and worthwhile. Each time  - even out and back on the same trip - reveals different things each time. This is even more the case when one has time to stop and explore the surrounding areas.

2 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

If you subscribe to both, over ayear or so you'll find they both repeat not only their own content but each others.

As they both have pretty well the same advertisers, try each then settle on whichever you like, or more likely neither.

13 hours ago, Knighty said:

?

Funnily enough I took a six month Waterways World subscription a few years ago at Crick Boatshow and have been thinking about trying Canal World. Similarly thinking of trying both.

I like Waterways World. Do tend to find I've read it in about half an hour mind. 

Perhaps a reason to have both...?!

27 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Find a boating mate who has a subscription to WW and, once you have read it,  do them a swap for your CB.  

After a while you can make it permanent, or subscribe to the one of your choice.

N

....and, of course, you both get to read two for the price of one.

This takes me back to when I was ten, and used to swop my 'Beezer' for the boy across the road's 'Eagle', thereby making my pocket money go further.

On 10/02/2021 at 06:17, Knighty said:

?

I've just cancelled my subscription to Canal Boat, after buying every copy since it started in, I think, 1996. I find the quality of production these days, totally unacceptable for a national magazine. Every month I find spelling, grammatical and factual errors, and I find myself getting angry and frustrated by it. 

In this months edition a photograph is printed upside down! And that's not the first time it's happened. During the first lockdown, having plenty of time on my hands, I found so many mistakes in the first couple of pages that I sat down and went through the whole edition  with a fine toothed comb. ( Sorry, I'm a sad old git)  I found over forty errors. I contacted the magazine to say how disappointed I was, and I'm still waiting for a reply. WW may have its faults, but it's in a different league to Canal Boat.

30 minutes ago, monkeyhanger said:

. Every month I find spelling, grammatical and factual errors, and I find myself getting angry and frustrated by it. 

At least you can read it. These days, much of WW is printed in such a faint typeface that, even when wearing my spectacles, I find it hard to read in artificial light. I assume this is an economy measure, but it's a false economy.

It won't be an economy thing, just that the designer liked that typeface. Do email the WW office and let them know, citing particular pages if you can (because different typefaces are used for different articles) - reader feedback like this is always helpful.

• Greenie 1

16 hours ago, monkeyhanger said:

I've just cancelled my subscription to Canal Boat, after buying every copy since it started in, I think, 1996. I find the quality of production these days, totally unacceptable for a national magazine. Every month I find spelling, grammatical and factual errors, and I find myself getting angry and frustrated by it. 

In this months edition a photograph is printed upside down! And that's not the first time it's happened. During the first lockdown, having plenty of time on my hands, I found so many mistakes in the first couple of pages that I sat down and went through the whole edition  with a fine toothed comb. ( Sorry, I'm a sad old git)  I found over forty errors. I contacted the magazine to say how disappointed I was, and I'm still waiting for a reply. WW may have its faults, but it's in a different league to Canal Boat.

These errors began after the previous editor Nick Wall retired a few years ago and they didn't replace him.  Many of the mistakes are so basic, and not confined to spelling or grammatical errors. For example, a frequent occurrence is photos where they have forgotten to write the caption, and instead reads xxxxxx.  You don't need a thorough proof read to spot that surely!!!

Other than that I think it's generally a good read, but I prefer WW. Both are prone to duplicating stuff over a period of time though, but as somebody else said, there's only so much one can write about. Despite this, I've been boating for 40+ years and still subscribe to both.

8 hours ago, Grassman said:

These errors began after the previous editor Nick Wall retired a few years ago and they didn't replace him.  Many of the mistakes are so basic, and not confined to spelling or grammatical errors. For example, a frequent occurrence is photos where they have forgotten to write the caption, and instead reads xxxxxx.  You don't need a thorough proof read to spot that surely!!!

I have on occasions noted something like "Xxxxxxx xxx Xxxxxx", which intrigues me! 

On 10/02/2021 at 12:06, Athy said:

Yes agree after a few years it's a repeat of itself.