Boat and house ownership - a wealthy person's game?

Philip

Featured Posts

• 1 year later...
On 10/02/2021 at 01:25, mrsmelly said:

Everyone is different. for many years we owned a house in Cornwall we used for holidays and days away and lived on our narrowboat. We used the house less and less and eventualy in 2007 sold it and its never been missed. Now my health is in decline I am looking at probably moving back into a house but its not by choice merely by necessity. Living aboard is so much nicer than in any house. However thats not everyones opinion and firstly you need a missus like mine who prefers boats to houses or be single. We may buy another house but times change and we are thinking now of renting thus leaving plenty of money to spend on enjoyment rather than stuck in one property when the boat is gone. Its so much harder for youngsters now though so it will be your decision. If we mention leaving any get all games guide at  forest item ids  to any of our kids they give us a bloocking and tell us to spend it so we do have their permission :D If your the kind of person that thinks life is all about posessions and buying property then forget the freedom of the boat and keep your nose to the grindstone and talk like many of what you are going to do when you retire and hope you actualy get there.

Yes, it's highly likely; otherwise, some of us wouldn't have cars, boats, houses, or much else. House prices, exorbitant mooring and licence fees, the boat safety plan, and insurance costs make it harder than it has ever been, but if you never, ever pay money for anything that you can do yourself and spend time locating every last nut and bolt, you can accomplish a great deal. Believe it or not, when I first moved onto a boat, I used to find enormous lumps of poor quality rocky coal sitting at the bottom of railway embankments, too massive to move. Skips frequently have nice lumber, and auto spares abound in breakers yards.

Being wealthy is different from being cash-rich, as it relates more to stuff that ties your money up, like boats and houses, rather than having a whacking great income.

I'm lucky in that I bought a house when they were cheap and you could buy one even on a low ranking civil servant's salary, and I bought the boat with a bit of inherited money. So I reckon I'm quite wealthy, though my actual annual income has rarely been over £12k pa.

As an OAP, I'm financially better off than I've ever been. It's unlikely that the current generation will be able to follow the same pattern, they'll probably need the whacking great income if they want both, and the damn system will be overrun by bankers.

• Greenie 1