Boat and house ownership - a wealthy person's game?

Philip

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, JonesBoy said:

So glad to see that you are paying for my pension.

Got nothing to do with both my wife and I having worked since we were 16 worked long hours scrimped and saved paid into a private pension paid tax and NI.

We have a house and at long last a narrowboat not with the pittance state pension (you say provided by you) but what we did with our lives before retirement.

Don’t get onto pensioners cos you have to work until 2022 take it up with government.

So glad to know that you are contented too.  

Not to bring politics into this thread but all the people who want the unsustainable govt expenditure(covid or otherwise) to continue should know its will come from pockets of younger generation, next time you feel aggravated by young folks(especially teenagers), remember that.

Edited by restlessnomad
  • Greenie 2

3 hours ago, Chagall said:

Well yes, I wouldn't turn down a lottery win!  

Meantime I wait to fully round off my contentment with travel on the boat. Im still working until June 2022 in order to pay for those who retired already.... still content with that, the money has to come from somewhere, but woe betide any pensioner that complains to me on this forum that they dont have enough or try to insist on further entitlement when they have a boat and full freedom to use it!  

So, who's going to start paying for you from July 2022 ?. I seem to remember working for 43 years. It's called life

1 hour ago, JonesBoy said:

Got nothing to do with both my wife and I having worked since we were 16 worked long hours scrimped and saved paid into a private pension paid tax and NI.

We have a house and at long last a narrowboat not with the pittance state pension (you say provided by you) but what we did with our lives before retirement.

Don’t get onto pensioners cos you have to work until 2022 take it up with government.

State pension went current-funded long ago. Hence what you get is determined by budget statements (and thence a vote in Parliament) rather than an actuarial calculation based on contributions.

Actually, ONS calls it unfunded - that is to say, there are no funds set aside to pay your state pension, unlike a work place pension, say. 

Hence it is strictly correx5t that today's workers are paying for today's pensioners. The idea that National Insurance was a glorified saving scheme (like a real pension) was what was envisaged at its creation but soon found to be unsustainable, I believe because today's cost of living is related more to today's earnings rather than yesterday's earnings. Without this change, state pensioners would all be below a poverty line. In the end it does not make a lot of difference since the introduction of a pension top up benefit that ensures that no person above pension age falls below a threshold income. The difficulty for successive governments has been how both to ensure no pensioner is in poverty and at the same time not to discourage those of working age saving for a pension!

33 minutes ago, Slim said:

So, who's going to start paying for you from July 2022 ?. I seem to remember working for 43 years. It's called life

Yes I too have life and a working history, totally different to yours but the basic facts are the same that todays workers pay for todays pensions. Im looking forward to mine. God willing I get there.  Of course Covid may well have designs I know nothing about.   

Edited by Chagall
changed "pensioners" to pensions

11 hours ago, Chagall said:

Perhaps before Murflyn edited he may have written "not' realised his error and changed it to 'never'   Athy may then have quoted the original?

Well that is possible but Murflyn's post (with "may" and "never") still existed at the time I posted. As the post no longer appears to exist, or I can't find it. The possibility is difficult to check now.

So its up to you whether (to the extent that it matters - which is not a lot!) you wish to give Athy the benefit of the doubt.

18 hours ago, Chagall said:

Perhaps before Murflyn edited he may have written "not' realised his error and changed it to 'never'   Athy may then have quoted the original?

That is exactly what happened: Murflynn, realising his error, quickly edited the post to correct it, as he had every right to do. 

17 minutes ago, Athy said:

That is exactly what happened: Murflynn, realising his error, quickly edited the post to correct it, as he had every right to do. 

exactly.

what is the argument about anyway ............  not, never, much the same in the context I was referring to.

pedants at large methinks.  B)

Just now, Murflynn said:

exactly.

what is the argument about anyway ............  not, never, much the same in the context I was referring to.

pedants at large methinks.  B)

Storm, teacup....yes, there are a few pedants at large, thank goodness that you and I are not amongst that number.

I think it started with the interpretation of the word "may", which can have two meanings. So the true culprit is obviously the English language.

17 hours ago, JonesBoy said:

I absolutely agree, folks today have no idea how scarce things were (from  today's point of reference), I was of a lower middle class, ie Dad had  shop. I was working on a Saturday from age 12/13 to top up my pocket money, This cash was then spent on 'luxuries' like nylon stockings, and fashionable footwear or even my hobbies!

At College there was no cash for me as Father considered by this method " I would come to realize the value of money" lol, tight git.

I worked two days a week to fund books, a blazer, and a scarf, plus a mini skirt (yes, one mini skirt!).

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

I absolutely agree, folks today have no idea how scarce things were (from  today's point of reference), I was of a lower middle class, ie Dad had  shop. I was working on a Saturday from age 12/13 to top up my pocket money, This cash was then spent on 'luxuries' like nylon stockings, and fashionable footwear or even my hobbies!

At College there was no cash for me as Father considered by this method " I would come to realize the value of money" lol, tight git.

I worked two days a week to fund books, a blazer, and a scarf, plus a mini skirt (yes, one mini skirt!).

Lower middle class owning a shop.  Wikipedia disagrees. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_class_in_the_United_Kingdom

image.png.2ea0698a26cff6c7f9f882dd1b2da4f4.png

14 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Lost the edit button?  Get your whisky glass and use it to look through, top right corner of your post, three little dots, click them...then fill the glass again. 

Edited by Chagall
see...easy peasy

I was lucky enough to in effect inherit our boat off my grandfather, who as mentioned earlier in thread financed the boat from the proceeds of being able to buy and sell properties and take out a whole-life assurance policy, during a time of high inflation. That legacy has then managed to run as far as also assisting me and my parents before me in buying there house, and I hope to be able to do the same for my children if I am lucky enough. However, boats are hard to do cheaply, and property ownership (or making a decent living at all) is becoming increasingly hard for normal hard working people at the moment sadly.

Daniel