Convertable bed/desk space - StudyBed

MisterP

Featured Posts

As a boat-based office worker I'm going to be placing a premium on a decent sized dedicated homeworking space that allows me to spread out a bit and not have the hassle of packing away at the end of the day. Do any of you have a StudyBed or similar contraption installed or found a reason (aside perhaps from cost) why it didn't fit your use case? Ingenious solution and something I'd seriously consider ripping out the fitted bed for. Sizes start from a single up. Only drawback I can see at the moment is the window that would inevitably be blocked out on the bed side of the boat. The topbox storage bit is an optional extra. I'm also assuming there are no tanks under the bed that would need moving (eg no pumpout) on the boat I go for and I'd compensate for not having underbed storage by building overhead storage instead.

Edited by MisterP
Changed code to display video

I chose not to have a 'dinette' space and between the kitchen and living area I had built a high workbench with drawers and cupboards under. 6'foot long by 3.8' wide.  The calorifier is upright under there too. I have an overhang at one end for a tall chair. I told myself I could eat my meals at that end but of course I never do! 

When I make the railways the whole bench is covered with stuff which stays out for most of the winter. 

I have thought about putting a single foldaway bed under there because there is room to do so but I never have guests so I'd rather have the storage space. 

Edited by Chagall

8 minutes ago, Chagall said:

I chose not to have a 'dinette' space and between the kitchen and living area I had built a high workbench with drawers and cupboards under. 6'foot long by 3.8' wide.  The calorifier is upright under there too. I have an overhang at one end for a tall chair. I told myself I could eat my meals at that end but of course I never do! 

When I make the railways the whole bench is covered with stuff which stays out for most of the winter. 

I'd still quite like a dinette, preferably a Pullman.

1st question is...how tall are you.??

Having experienced this product a couple of years ago, do not be tempted to go for anything other than the extended (+£120 extra).

If not, you will inadvertently knock, kick the safety catch and end up falling behind the bed as it flips up. I almost did, and my lockwheeler definitely did in his cabin!! Very uncomfortable mattress and worst nights sleep I had for an long time.

Hope this helps.

54 minutes ago, Chagall said:

I have thought about putting a single foldaway bed under there because there is room to do so but I never have guests so I'd rather have the storage space. 

You mean like this lol

IMG_20210209_181429.jpg

Edited by mrsmelly
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

1st question is...how tall are you.??

Having experienced this product a couple of years ago, do not be tempted to go for anything other than the extended (+£120 extra).

If not, you will inadvertently knock, kick the safety catch and end up falling behind the bed as it flips up. I almost did, and my lockwheeler definitely did in his cabin!! Very uncomfortable mattress and worst nights sleep I had for an long time.

Hope this helps.

That's helpful, cheers. I'm 6ft. Not bothered by the mattress, I'd be putting my own in. Hoping to see one in action if/when we ever get to experience the fullblown retail experience again.

Nice model by the way, great way to spend the Winter.

20 hours ago, MisterP said:

As a boat-based office worker I'm going to be placing a premium on a decent sized dedicated homeworking space that allows me to spread out a bit and not have the hassle of packing away at the end of the day. Do any of you have a StudyBed or similar contraption installed or found a reason (aside perhaps from cost) why it didn't fit your use case? Ingenious solution and something I'd seriously consider ripping out the fitted bed for. Sizes start from a single up. Only drawback I can see at the moment is the window that would inevitably be blocked out on the bed side of the boat. The topbox storage bit is an optional extra. I'm also assuming there are no tanks under the bed that would need moving (eg no pumpout) on the boat I go for and I'd compensate for not having underbed storage by building overhead storage instead.

I love these ingenious Murphy bed type contraptions. I considered getting one a few years ago. I ended up ruling it out for a few reasons:

Boat mattresses can easily become mouldy from condensation/ perspiration if they don't have circulating air around and below them. (I binned three before devising a raised slatted bed base made from pallets). When upright the Study Bed has no circulating air above the mattress, and even in the bed position it still has no circulating air below it.

A fold down bed with a 4ft mattress on a Study Bed won't fit efficiently within the cabin space of a 4ft wide bulkhead on a narrowboat, because unlike a narrowboat bed, it doesn't fit under the gunnels. The sloping irregular shaped side wall of the boat prevents the horizontal folding unit from being placed flush against it, wasting quite a lot of space. And the curve of a narrowboat ceiling prevents a vertical Murphy bed of a comfortable length being folded up against that either. You would need to measure carefully to be sure that there is space to open it and that it doesn't make corridor access problematic - unless you don't mind blocking corridors like a cross bed does; or having a narrow single bed instead of something more generous that would be pretty much standard on a narrowboat. 

On a boat like mine, the bed unit would block out the window when in the bed or desk position, reducing light and air flow, and encouraging damp there.

So as much as I think they're ingenious in a house, I think emulating the fold out bed and drop down table/cupboard of a boatman's cabin would work better on a lot of narrowboats, than an off-the-shelf Study Bed designed to suit a home with vertical walls and little risk of damp problems arising. 

Edited by BlueStringPudding
  • Greenie 1

Some years ago a boater proudly showed me around his boat. The front cabin had a fold up double bed which in the down position prevented through access and in the up position filled about half the width of the cabin almost floor to ceiling, completely blocking the window on that side. The  bed was hinged on a series of metal bars, all visible in the up position, along with the underside of the divan base. The whole thing was bulky, looked a mess, and took up just as much (if not more) room than the extendable bed base with split mattress one more often encounters. I couldn't see the point of it.

4 hours ago, BlueStringPudding said:

I love these ingenious Murphy bed type contraptions. I considered getting one a few years ago. I ended up ruling it out for a few reasons:

Boat mattresses can easily become mouldy from condensation/ perspiration if they don't have circulating air around and below them. (I binned three before devising a raised slatted bed base made from pallets). When upright the Study Bed has no circulating air above the mattress, and even in the bed position it still has no circulating air below it.

A fold down bed with a 4ft mattress on a Study Bed won't fit efficiently within the cabin space of a 4ft wide bulkhead on a narrowboat, because unlike a narrowboat bed, it doesn't fit under the gunnels. The sloping irregular shaped side wall of the boat prevents the horizontal folding unit from being placed flush against it, wasting quite a lot of space. And the curve of a narrowboat ceiling prevents a vertical Murphy bed of a comfortable length being folded up against that either. You would need to measure carefully to be sure that there is space to open it and that it doesn't make corridor access problematic - unless you don't mind blocking corridors like a cross bed does; or having a narrow single bed instead of something more generous that would be pretty much standard on a narrowboat. 

On a boat like mine, the bed unit would block out the window when in the bed or desk position, reducing light and air flow, and encouraging damp there.

So as much as I think they're ingenious in a house, I think emulating the fold out bed and drop down table/cupboard of a boatman's cabin would work better on a lot of narrowboats, than an off-the-shelf Study Bed designed to suit a home with vertical walls and little risk of damp problems arising. 

I've just remembered something else  I considered back when I was fitting out my boat studio area: a compact sofa bed and a separate fold out computer desk. Some desks are really clever, either wall-mounted or freestanding (but probably best supported against the bulkhead near the top in case the boat ever got hung up). Ikea used to-do a brilliant tall computer desk with concealed storage above and below, where the act of pulling down the desk surface from vertical to horizontal was kind of cantilevered with the cupboard doors below that would open up to support it. Even the top cupboard on it opened upwards on struts, so nothing had to arc beyond the sides of the unit. I was able to turn a tiny nook in a narrow corridor of a little Victorian flat into a very usable office space that all folded away to create a flat vertical surface when not in use. It moved house with me more than once and ended up being put in a shallow hallway broom cupboard of a sixties council flat, turning the cupboard into a fully functioning office space too. It was a great little contraption. 

I've seen similar smaller versions that can be fixed to a wall to keep the floor space clear. I'm sure a bit of Googlage will show you some options.

Then you can pick from a wide choice of sofa beds separately, maybe even a slim drop leaf table tucked under the gunnel too. That would give the cabin effectively three uses: lounge/diner, bedroom and concealed office. 

Just an idea...

Edited by BlueStringPudding

21 hours ago, BlueStringPudding said:

I've just remembered something else  I considered back when I was fitting out my boat studio area: a compact sofa bed and a separate fold out computer desk. Some desks are really clever, either wall-mounted or freestanding (but probably best supported against the bulkhead near the top in case the boat ever got hung up). Ikea used to-do a brilliant tall computer desk with concealed storage above and below, where the act of pulling down the desk surface from vertical to horizontal was kind of cantilevered with the cupboard doors below that would open up to support it. Even the top cupboard on it opened upwards on struts, so nothing had to arc beyond the sides of the unit. I was able to turn a tiny nook in a narrow corridor of a little Victorian flat into a very usable office space that all folded away to create a flat vertical surface when not in use. It moved house with me more than once and ended up being put in a shallow hallway broom cupboard of a sixties council flat, turning the cupboard into a fully functioning office space too. It was a great little contraption. 

I've seen similar smaller versions that can be fixed to a wall to keep the floor space clear. I'm sure a bit of Googlage will show you some options.

Then you can pick from a wide choice of sofa beds separately, maybe even a slim drop leaf table tucked under the gunnel too. That would give the cabin effectively three uses: lounge/diner, bedroom and concealed office. 

Just an idea...

Now that's a great tip, thanks.

Nice idea which i am also very interested in.

I have a idea to put in a folding single of similar design, but not with the topbox arrangement as i would like the window to stay usable.

However i would like the single to have the possibility to be able to be extended out to 4ft or so when down, with the extra 'mattress' section also being stowed away when not in use.

Time to do some sketching and find a decent boat fitter to make the space i have work.

On 09/02/2021 at 17:08, MisterP said:

Take a look on this website, there maybe something you cold adapt. https://www.pinterest.co.uk