Cassette Loo - How Often?

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

On 09/02/2021 at 16:55, Naughty Cal said:

The van we want has 120 litre water tank and 110 litre grey water tank so we won't need to be filling up and emptying those every day, they are bigger than the boat tanks were.

If we can get a couple of days out of the toilet cassette that will be a bonus.

On a side note, that's 230kg of liquid if they're both full, probably enough to take you over the vehicles safe / legal weight. 

With impeccable timing, we acquired a motorhome last year .... you can maximise the time the cassette lasts by not putting any water in when you charge it, just the 'blue'liquid (ideally the green stuff, so you're cesspit friendly). It's also not unknown for the chaps to take advantage of darkness and not necessarily use it. 

Grey water can be just as much of an issue, dropping it in to surface water drains or just letting it run into the verge is getting Motorhomers a bad name.      

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Note to self. Check cassette is in place before using the loo!!

Very helpful thank you :lol:

The one thing for the 'emptier' to check is that the bowl is empty before removing the cassette. If you don't you can guess where the bowl contents end up as you slide the cassette out.

(It only happens generally if you have a 6 year old grandchild with you though, and they have forgotten to empty the bowl contents into the waste tank).

59 minutes ago, twbm said:

On a side note, that's 230kg of liquid if they're both full, probably enough to take you over the vehicles safe / legal weight. 

With impeccable timing, we acquired a motorhome last year .... you can maximise the time the cassette lasts by not putting any water in when you charge it, just the 'blue'liquid (ideally the green stuff, so you're cesspit friendly). It's also not unknown for the chaps to take advantage of darkness and not necessarily use it. 

Grey water can be just as much of an issue, dropping it in to surface water drains or just letting it run into the verge is getting Motorhomers a bad name.      

The mass in running order of the van we want is 2980kg leaving a 520kg payload. I doubt we will get over that it is quite a generous payload for the size of the van.

Grey water we are not as concerned about. With the size of the tank we should get a few days out of that before it needs to be emptied by which time we will have had to find somewhere to empty the loo anyway.

Worth considering joining the Camping & Caravan Club or similar.

https://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/?msclkid=c29dbd6a6b0f1c4c5dfddd4f4421e009&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=BB_1_Camping Caravan Close Generics - Inc CLUB {E} [Code%3A 12406889] {CCC} {Desktop} 2020-2021&utm_term=Camping%26caravan Club&utm_content=Camping%26caravan Club

They will forward book from one site to another if required. We have always found their sites to be clean and tidy. They also gave us a full refund for a site we had booked last year but couldn't go because of COVID.

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1

26 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Worth considering joining the Camping & Caravan Club or similar.

https://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/?msclkid=c29dbd6a6b0f1c4c5dfddd4f4421e009&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=BB_1_Camping Caravan Close Generics - Inc CLUB {E} [Code%3A 12406889] {CCC} {Desktop} 2020-2021&utm_term=Camping%26caravan Club&utm_content=Camping%26caravan Club

They will forward book from one site to another if required. We have always found their sites to be clean and tidy. They also gave us a full refund for a site we had booked last year but couldn't go because of COVID.

We had already decided we would join the caravan club as their discounts on ferries and sites seem rather good and I'm sure we would save more than the membership cost each year.

We are also looking at joining Britstop as well which will provide us with plenty of options for overnight stays.

• Greenie 1

56 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

The mass in running order of the van we want is 2980kg leaving a 520kg payload. I doubt we will get over that it is quite a generous payload for the size of the van.

Grey water we are not as concerned about. With the size of the tank we should get a few days out of that before it needs to be emptied by which time we will have had to find somewhere to empty the loo anyway.

Righto - don't forget to count yourselves in the load. 

• Greenie 2

10 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

We had already decided we would join the caravan club as their discounts on ferries and sites seem rather good and I'm sure we would save more than the membership cost each year.

We are also looking at joining Britstop as well which will provide us with plenty of options for overnight stays.

Their insurance is highly regarded too. Not always the cheapest but a good reputation for swift and trouble free claims. I can also recommend their 'Red Pennant' foreign travel breakdown and health insurance'

Some of their sites are a bit too 'regimented' for some with lots moving over to all hard standing.

You do get access though to small 5 outfit max Certified Locations which range from a field with a tap and some where to empty the loo through to 5 Fully serviced pitches with hard standing,  mains, waste and water. 

We like the fairly basic ones which give you the closest you can get to 'wild camping' but with somewhere to have electricity and some where to properly empty the loo.

Having owned several motorhomes I was having a look at the layout of the Benimar which is quite unusual.   We bought a Hymer in 1986 with a pull down bed over the cab.   We used to do a lot of wild camping then round Europe but only used the pull down bed on camp sites as occasionally you may need to make a quick getaway or  look as if you are just parked.   Where would you store a spare cassette?

3 hours ago, twbm said:

That would be seriously bad planning!

Generally, you only ever have one tank full and the other empty or you have the redistribution of a proportion of the fresh water ending up in the grey waste tank. That’s why most grey tanks are smaller than the van’s associated fresh water tank.

Ian

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, JamesFrance said:

Having owned several motorhomes I was having a look at the layout of the Benimar which is quite unusual.   We bought a Hymer in 1986 with a pull down bed over the cab.   We used to do a lot of wild camping then round Europe but only used the pull down bed on camp sites as occasionally you may need to make a quick getaway or  look as if you are just parked.   Where would you store a spare cassette?

There are a few places the spare cassette could go. The gas locker is huge and one would slot down the back of the bottles, or there is an external locker on the opposite side of the van and then as a last resort there is the locker where the spare wheel is usually stored which backs onto the wardrobe/storage cupboard.

3 hours ago, twbm said:

A friend of mine used to drive facilities trucks for films & TV programmes....on one occasion in the middle of the night in central London they needed to empty the black water tank in a hurry.....so they found a likely looking manhole...lifted it...drove the wagon over it and pulled the dump lever....all was good until when trying to replace said manhole cover one of them slipped and the cover fell into the sewer with a splash & a clang....being the responsible type of citizen they scarpered quick and hoped they weren't seen!

Luckily it was in the days before there was masses of cctv on every street....

10 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Note to self. Check cassette is in place before using the loo!!

Very helpful thank you :lol:

Cassette lives behind a slide out hatch just outside baffroom door. Slide out hatch and lay flat on top of toilet. Remove and deal with cassette (empty or store). Insert empty cassette, replace hatch, prime cassette. Jobza Guddun. No risks ?.

9 minutes ago, Opener said:

Cassette lives behind a slide out hatch just outside baffroom door. Slide out hatch and lay flat on top of toilet. Remove and deal with cassette (empty or store). Insert empty cassette, replace hatch, prime cassette. Jobza Guddun. No risks ?.

Cassette lives outside in its own locker. 

Reading here that boaters are emptying cassettes every few days make me very glad we have a pump  out loo which.only needs emptying every six weeks with two of us on board.

Sorry Rachael to have butted into your thread. 

Haggis

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, rasputin said:

Gosh, We get a week out of ours, would drive me mad if I had to empty it every second day

Impossible.

Unless you make use of facilities other than the cassette loo.

19 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Cassette lives outside in its own locker. 

Agree the rules with the crew. Close toilet lid and stand bottle of bloo on top. Go outside. Empty/exchange cassette. Inside. Prime cassette. Put bloo away. No risks ?.

• Greenie 1

I don't know how you can cruise if you have to empty it every 2 days, But it does explain why there was a q at the last camp site i visited where there was a q at the elsan point on only the second day that the site was open, Thetford 165, 21litres

(wife doesn't drink a lot) I do let it fill up, maybe people just empty it when its half full or after one use as I thought that must be happening on the campsite.

Edited by rasputin

5 minutes ago, rasputin said:

I don't know how you can cruise if you have to empty it every 2 days, But it does explain why there was a q at the last camp site i visited where there was a q at the elsan point on only the second day that the site was open, 165L (wife doesn't drink a lot) I do let it fill up, maybe people just empty it when its half full or after one use as I thought that must be happening on the campsite.

Because you carry a spare.

You are rarely if ever more than four to five days away from an Elsan. Assuming you are actually moving of course.

From the web "The normal range for 24-hour urine volume is 800 to 2,000 milliliters per day (with a normal fluid intake of about 2 liters per day)"

2 people could be 2l per day at 21 litre capacity that's over 10 days.

You people must be flushing a lot.

Yes I move when I am on the canal.

I do carry a spare, but rarely use it, the last time was 2 weeks on the Norfolk Broads, Not many elsan points there.

Edited by rasputin

11 minutes ago, rasputin said:

From the web "The normal range for 24-hour urine volume is 800 to 2,000 milliliters per day (with a normal fluid intake of about 2 liters per day)"

2 people could be 2l per day at 21 litre capacity that's over 10 days.

You people must be flushing a lot.

Yes I move when I am on the canal.

I do carry a spare, but rarely use it, the last time was 2 weeks on the Norfolk Broads, Not many elsan points there.

So where do your number twos go?