Cassette Loo - How Often?

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

13 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

We, well I, generally empty the cassette every 3-4 days. We have one spare cassette but do try not to end up with both full.  There are two of us and we don't make too much use of pubs or other facilities.

Glad we are not alone.

I was beginning to think we may have a 'blockage'.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Glad we are not alone.

I was beginning to think we may have a 'blockage'.

I think its mainly down to how people use the kit. We flush a fair bit each use especialy the missus, I know some people practicaly use very little flush action on their bogs.

3 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

My question to you all is, how long do you expect a cassette to last and how often do you have to empty it?

There will be two of us "onboard" and we don't expect to be sited on campsites with facilities all that often.

Aged boat crew of two. I reckon two to three days for each of the three cassettes on board. But one big factor will be how much liquid you ' pre-load' the cassette with after emptying. Instructions reckon adding ? stacks of fresh water along with the bloo - I just add the bloo dose plus the same in fresh to rinse the bowl. I'm always going to be adding more 'fluid' soon anyway to why waste capacity??

• Greenie 2

17 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Not for a boat but I'm sure you lovely lot can help me with this one.

We have never had any dealings with a cassette loo but the motorhome we are getting will have a Thetford cassette loo installed. The cassette holds 17.5 litres of waste.

My question to you all is, how long do you expect a cassette to last and how often do you have to empty it?

There will be two of us "onboard" and we don't expect to be sited on campsites with facilities all that often.

Every other day when the two of us were touring in our caravan. Things get a bit messy if you allow it to overfill; don't ask how I know, I'd rather forget!

Another vote for the 2 people / 2 days here as well. I'm really careful not to use much pre-loaded fluid with the Bloo when setting it up, and neither me nor the Mrs use anything more than a very quick flush. But we drink gallons of tea ?

Oh, and it'll always register "full" on the indicator when the Mrs uses it at 2 in the morning. It just does.

• Haha 1

With just the 2 of us in the 'van I prefer to empty the cassette every 2 days but can go to 3 at a pinch. Biggest problem isn't the level of the "fill" but the weight of a full cassette. The amount of flush needed can make a big difference. Best way I have found to reduce that was to keep the bowl scrupulously clean and have even sprayed it with polish. I have heard of spraying it with WD40 but haven't tried that.

Many caravanners discourage number 2's so that there is only water to dispose of and it hopefully reduces the amount of flush needed. 

• Greenie 1

I reckon boaters probably have fewer opportunities to use external facilities. I would venture to suggest that boaters would manage fewer days than motorhomers since they are, effectively, living onboard whereas motorhomers are likely to spend a greater proportion of the day away from the vehicle.

I don’t know if that hypothesis is supported by the responses above but if the total suggested by @Alan de Enfield is indeed 4 then given that @Ray T and myself are both Motorhomers, that lends some weight to the hypothesis.  

Ian

3 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

It will be Liams job to empty it. Definitely a blue job.

In all the years we've been caravanning I think I could count ON ONE HAND the number of times I've seen a lady emptying the cassette on one hand!

Edited by Graham Davis
pedantry!!
  • Happy 1

27 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

In all the years we've been caravanning I think I could count the number of times I've seen a lady emptying the cassette on one hand!

Where have you seen that? I’ve never seen a lady emptying the cassette on her hand! ?????

Ian?

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Bigtwin said:

Where have you seen that? I’ve never seen a lady emptying the cassette on her hand! ?????

Ian?

Beat me to it !

SWMBO does ours.

We have 'blue' jobs (engines, mechanicals, electricals) and 'pink' jobs, (toilet cassette, washing machine), and 'Blink' jobs, (walking the dog, cooking and shopping)

1 minute ago, Chagall said:

Hah, it also took me a few goes to read it properly. ?

She'd need the other hand to hold and tip the cassette.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Bigtwin said:

Ian?

Nor me.

But I know one who used a Thetford without a casette in place,

Twice,

26 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Nor me.

Twice,

deleted...not nice. 

It did make me briefly consider the Compoosting toilet which has been discussed recently, but the cost to replace is a considerable factor. 

Edited by Chagall
thought better of it!

1 hour ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Nor me.

Twice,

Changed it now you ....................................?

And almost like Martin, but I shouted when I heard the toilet door open as I slid the cassette out!

• Greenie 1

We worked on a day and a half to two and a half days per person per day at a stretch,  for users incentivised by having to cope with emptying them. For guests, used to a house permanently connected to pipes and wires, they could easily fill a cassette by themselves just before bed, whilst draining  the calorifier of all hot water in a single shower, and damn near empty the entire water tank in preparing a single meal with cups of tea and dishes afterwards. The leisure batteries didn't last long between charging also.

For extending cassette life, a pee bottle topped off with canal water, sure helped the potted flower plants, although I nearly killed the resident petunias when I diluted the said bottle water with the water at our mooring at salthouse dock in Liverpool. The saltwater jellyfish swimming around alerted me of the potential problem.

I am not sure that carying petunias on the roof would be viable for any form of caravaning though.  

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1