Cassette Loo - How Often?

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

Not for a boat but I'm sure you lovely lot can help me with this one.

We have never had any dealings with a cassette loo but the motorhome we are getting will have a Thetford cassette loo installed. The cassette holds 17.5 litres of waste.

My question to you all is, how long do you expect a cassette to last and how often do you have to empty it?

There will be two of us "onboard" and we don't expect to be sited on campsites with facilities all that often.

3 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

We have never had any dealings with a cassette loo but the motorhome we are getting will have a Thetford cassette loo installed. The cassette holds 17.5 litres of waste.

My question to you all is, how long do you expect a cassette to last and how often do you have to empty it?

There will be two of us "onboard" and we don't expect to be sited on campsites with facilities all that often.

2 of us 4-5 days.

If you drink a lot maybe less

If you go to pubs a lot, maybe a lot longer.

• Greenie 1

Wow, that's a long time out of one cassette.

I find that with the good lady & myself a day and a half is about all, it depends on how well we do with 'boaters do it ashore'.

When on my own, yes 3 maybe 4 days is about it.

We have 3 cassettes for the Thetford to make life easy, you only overfill a cassette once.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

2 of us 4-5 days.

If you drink a lot maybe less

If you go to pubs a lot, maybe a lot longer.

What's a pub :rolleyes:

Just now, DaveR said:

Wow, that's a long time out of one cassette.

I find that with the good lady & myself a day and a half is about all, it depends on how well we do with 'boaters do it ashore'.

When on my own, yes 3 maybe 4 days is about it.

We have 3 cassettes for the Thetford to make life easy, you only overfill a cassette once.

Hoping to never have it get that far :D

I have told Liam that dealing with the cassette is definitely a blue job.

Sounds like having a spare cassette could be a wise move?

Just now, Naughty Cal said:

What's a pub :rolleyes:

Them things that a year ago you could go in and give them money in exchange for horse pi$$

2 minutes ago, DaveR said:

We have always had cassette toilets and don't ever have much trouble achieving 4 days

• Greenie 1

When out on the boat, we generally empty our PP cassette daily. It MIGHT last two days, but better safe than sorry.

A couple of years ago we started carrying a spare one in case we ever got stuck anywhere with no facilities. Needless to say, we haven't.

19 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Ours lasts 2 days absolute max. if on sites with no facilities.

Only one of us uses the on site facilities if we have access to them so when we do we might get a bit longer.

Don't forget to hang on to your waterways key for access to CRT emptying facilities whilst in the UK, but don't tell anybody I suggested that.

7 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Ours lasts 2 days absolute max. if on sites with no facilities.

Only one of us uses the on site facilities if we have access to them so when we do we might get a bit longer.

Don't forget to hang on to your waterways key for access to CRT emptying facilities whilst in the UK, but don't tell anybody I suggested that.

We are absolutely keeping hold of our CRT and EA keys. The boat is going to Norfolk so won't need them anyway :)

We get 2 days and its bigger than 17.5 ltrs. However neither of us ever pee outside or wait to use pubs, we use the facilities properly as we did in a house. I doubt you will get any longer than two days especialy as you drink P__s in bottles anyway to get rid of. We also get 2 days out of the motorhome cassette, maybe push it to 3 but never had the need to.

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

We get 2 days and its bigger than 17.5 ltrs. However neither of us ever pee outside or wait to use pubs, we use the facilities properly as we did in a house. I doubt you will get any longer than two days especialy as you drink P__s in bottles anyway to get rid of. We also get 2 days out of the motorhome cassette, maybe push it to 3 but never had the need to.

Eat loads and loads of eggs, get bunged up and it'll last two to three weeks.

• Haha 1

On the boat we have 3 cassettes so can go for a week between "having" to empty, in practice we empty at the next Dunny Dump after the first one is full

More importantly 

In the caravan we empty every day, it is part of the daily ritual of filling with water and emptying grey water and the cassette. 

The limiting factor for us is that the grey water tank is the same size as the water (40 litres) and that will not go for 2 days.

ETA  don't use blue in the cassette a capful of cheap bio washing liquid is far better for all concerned.

Edited by Loddon
  • Greenie 2

28 minutes ago, Loddon said:

On the boat we have 3 cassettes so can go for a week between "having" to empty, in practice we empty at the next Dunny Dump after the first one is full

More importantly 

In the caravan we empty every day, it is part of the daily ritual of filling with water and emptying grey water and the cassette. 

The limiting factor for us is that the grey water tank is the same size as the water (40 litres) and that will not go for 2 days.

ETA  don't use blue in the cassette a capful of cheap bio washing liquid is far better for all concerned.

The van we want has 120 litre water tank and 110 litre grey water tank so we won't need to be filling up and emptying those every day, they are bigger than the boat tanks were.

If we can get a couple of days out of the toilet cassette that will be a bonus.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Naughty Cal said:

The van we want has 120 litre water tank and 110 litre grey water tank so we won't need to be filling up and emptying those every day, they are bigger than the boat tanks were.

More eggs.

1 minute ago, Naughty Cal said:

Those size tanks will easily give you a couple of days, As you presumably will have the new smaller cassette then if you have the storage space grab a spare.

Composting toilets appear to be thein thing ;)

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

What you may find is that unless you are on campsites you will find it difficult to find anywhere to empty your cassette unless you are prepared to dig a hole to empty it in . Wild camping sounds ideal but what many of the van lifers do is pee in a bottle and tip it in the hedge and poo in bin liners and put that in rubbish bins. . For weekends away you will be able to empty your cassette when you get home , for longer trips maybe a camp site every other day or so . If you travel across the channel then facilities are more readily available . Have you negotiated a good deal on that Benimar Mileo 202 in stock just down the road from you ? Looks a lovely spec on that van and automatic too which makes a huge difference. 

23 minutes ago, Troyboy said:

What you may find is that unless you are on campsites you will find it difficult to find anywhere to empty your cassette unless you are prepared to dig a hole to empty it in . Wild camping sounds ideal but what many of the van lifers do is pee in a bottle and tip it in the hedge and poo in bin liners and put that in rubbish bins. . For weekends away you will be able to empty your cassette when you get home , for longer trips maybe a camp site every other day or so . If you travel across the channel then facilities are more readily available . Have you negotiated a good deal on that Benimar Mileo 202 in stock just down the road from you ? Looks a lovely spec on that van and automatic too which makes a huge difference. 

No. We are not in a position to yet which is a shame.

It is the Mileo 202 we want though. Another one will crop up when we are ready in May, we are sure of that.

We had hoped we might get every third night on a site with facilities but looks like that might be stretching it a bit.

Edited by Naughty Cal

20 minutes ago, Onewheeler said:

It's harder to have a pee while steering a van than when tillering on the back deck of a boat. On the other hand, you don't find so many anglers hiding behind bushes.

Perhaps you need one of these.

s-l500.jpg

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1