Where is this

bizzard

Featured Posts

16 minutes ago, Athy said:

We saw it at Downham Market when it was hauling a special about five or six years ago - the first Streak I'd seen in action since they were withdrawn. As it approached the station and the driver sounded the distinctive whistle, I said to Mrs. Athy "I've waited since about 1964 to hear that".

Good one.

And another from the Railway Herald website. Mallard about to leave Kings X with the Yorkshire Pullman in 1956, Leeds, Bradford, Hull.  Stoked up, blower full on ready for the climb to Potters Bar.  Pollution.

334021.jpg

Edited by bizzard
  • Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, Ray T said:

As we are onto steam. When I visited Rugby Station and saw  Duchess of Sutherland, Bittern was there at the same time.

The whistling match they had made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck.  

DSCF1942.jpg

DSCF1953.jpg

Funnily enough when I was train spotting with my mates in the late 1950's, when we went to Kings X Bittern always seemed to be on the Yorkshire Pullman, only needed the one tender for that run.

3 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Funnily enough when I was train spotting with my mates in the late 1950's, when we went to Kings X Bittern always seemed to be on the Yorkshire Pullman, only needed the one tender for that run.

It was green then of course, side valances over the motion removed. Just the BR emblem on the tender.

For Bizzard & Athy, some of my collection of LNER model loco's.
I do have a display cabinet with A4's but what with canal pictures and others have run out of wall space.

The loco's are a mixture of propriety, kits and kit bashes being the P1 and the streamlined B17.

The P2 is a K's white metal kit.

I am in the process of building a V2 kit, but that has stalled at the moment.

IMGP5183.JPG

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, Ray T said:

For Bizzard & Athy, some of my collection of LNER model loco's.
I do have a display cabinet with A4's but what with canal pictures and others have run out of wall space.

The loco's are a mixture of propriety, kits and kit bashes being the P1 and the streamlined B17.

The P2 is a K's white metal kit.

I am in the process of building a V2 kit, but that has stalled at the moment.

IMGP5183.JPG

Very nice Ray. I think I spy a Sentinel 4 wheel shunter. One of those came puffing through Goodmayes station on the GE mainline, (up fast) in the late 1950's when we were train spotting during school dinner time. My old Observers book of steam loco's said it was stationed at Lowestoft. It must have come down in bursts, about 90 miles and probably going to Stratford for overhaul or maybe scrapping. You have no Coronation, Duchess class in your collection, the most huge and most powerful express loco.

Just now, bizzard said:

Very nice Ray. I think I spy a Sentinel 4 wheel shunter. One of those came puffing through Goodmayes station on the GE mainline, (up fast) in the late 1950's when we were train spotting during school dinner time. My old Observers book of steam loco's said it was stationed at Lowestoft. It must have come down in bursts, about 90 miles and probably going to Stratford for overhaul or maybe scrapping. You have no Coronation, Duchess class in your collection, the most huge and most powerful express loco.

Yes it is a Sentinel shunter. Apart from LNER and some BR loco models I have a full 8 coach set Lima Intercity 125 in Swallow livery.

I have none of the other Big 4.

3 hours ago, Athy said:

That last photo takes me straight back to Donny* station circa 1961-62, on day train-spotting trips from Sheffield with my friend.

*For non-railwayacs, Doncaster.

It's in Yorkshire.

In the 90s I had responsibilities for for staff at Derby, Doncaster, Crewe, Reading, Paddington and Nottingham.  So I had offices at all of those sites.  

One year on 3 March I was in my office at Doncaster Works which looked out over at the station when a powerful whistle and a cloud of steam rose up obscuring the windows.

Mallard had toddled down from York museum to to spend her birthday with us, where she was born.  Our offices were above the shed where they were built.

Not a lot of work got done that lunchtime due to everyone hanging out of the windows.

Stirring stuff!

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, bizzard said:

Good one.

And another from the Railway Herald website. Mallard about to leave Kings X with the Yorkshire Pullman in 1956, Leeds, Bradford, Hull.  Stoked up, blower full on ready for the climb to Potters Bar.  Pollution.

334021.jpg

Is that another footbridge across the end of the train shed? I have often wondered what was there before the triangular lattice girder that now supports the bottom edge of the glazing.

And was it altered as part of the electrification or earlier?

overview-of-the-trainshed-at-londons-kin

Edited by David Mack

49 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Is that another footbridge across the end of the train shed? I have often wondered what was there before the triangular lattice girder that now supports the bottom edge of the glazing.

And was it altered as part of the electrification or earlier?

overview-of-the-trainshed-at-londons-kin

I can't really remember, a long time ago. But I don't think it was a public foot bridge, it was wide and might have been for mail parcel vans or cars to get to the Motorail on the far west side platforms. There used to be a completely separate platform over on the far eastern side which linked with the Metropolitan tunnels. N2 0-6-2 condensing engines used to pop out of there with local suburban passenger trains and goods trains.

9 hours ago, bizzard said:

There used to be a completely separate platform over on the far eastern side which linked with the Metropolitan tunnels. N2 0-6-2 condensing engines used to pop out of there with local suburban passenger trains and goods trains.

King's Cross (York Road), wasn't it? I caught trains there once or twice, possibly when they'd been diverted from the main suburban station because of p.w. work. A poky and charmless place, as I recall.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

King's Cross (York Road), wasn't it? I caught trains there once or twice, possibly when they'd been diverted from the main suburban station because of p.w. work. A poky and charmless place, as I recall.

That was it York Road.  Summer saturdays were the best days to train spot at Kings X. All the holiday trains coming and going. On the western side and right beside I think it was platform 1 was the the loco servicing point, coaling plant, turntable, and of course the large signal box, there in the middle of the station throat. Great anticipation as to what came puffing out of the Gasworks tunnel.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, bizzard said:

That was it York Road. 

I just looked it up on the anoracky but informative Disused Stations web site. It mentions that some trains to/from Hertford North ran from/to York Road. I used that station a fair bit in the early '70s, most Hertford North trains departed from King's Cross Suburban on the other side of the main station (a sprawlier part of the station than it is now, with one wooden platform tacked on to the extreme left side as a sort of afterthought), but obviously they were sometimes diverted.

6 minutes ago, Athy said:

I just looked it up on the anoracky but informative Disused Stations web site. It mentions that some trains to/from Hertford North ran from/to York Road. I used that station a fair bit in the early '70s, most Hertford North trains departed from King's Cross Suburban on the other side of the main station (a sprawlier part of the station than it is now, with one wooden platform tacked on to the extreme left side as a sort of afterthought), but obviously they were sometimes diverted.

Yes, interesting.  On the other west side were the main suburban platforms, The moto rail also loaded and unloaded folks cars at that platform. I remember seeing the first baby Deltics on the those trains, but usually the old N2 tanks sometime Gresley 2-6-4 tanks.  Usually the N2 0-6-2 tanks that trundled all the empty mainline stock to and from  Hornsey.

1 hour ago, Victor Vectis said:

'And who, pray, is Mrs Lopsided?'

?

It's a hard call between The Ladykillers' or 'Kind Hearts and Coronets' as to which is my favourite film.

Mrs Lopsided was the elderly landlady of the house where the thieves booked the upstairs rooms and is what the big villain of the five called her. Yes, Kind Hearts and Coronets is good too, Dennis Price and Alec Guiness. 

37 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Mrs Lopsided was the elderly landlady of the house where the thieves booked the upstairs rooms and is what the big villain of the five called her. Yes, Kind Hearts and Coronets is good too, Dennis Price and Alec Guiness. 

'One Round'.

ETA Ain't Talking Pictures TV good!

Edited by Victor Vectis

On 09/02/2021 at 14:30, bizzard said:

The very first quota of the class 40's, D200's onwards to about D210 were sent to the Great Eastern section. Liverpool st  Norwich to supplement the Britannia pacifics. Non of them were named then.  When the classes Brush Type 4, class 47's and class 37's came along all theClass 40's D200's were transferred away from the GE to the LM West coast mainline and elswhere when many of them received named. Yes Empress of Britain.

About twenty of the EE type 4s got named after ocean liners. They were used on the West Coast line between Euston and Liverpool, to connect with transatlantic  shipping from the port. This was at the time that the liners were fading away, so it wasn't  a brilliant publicity move. The main west coast traffic to Scotland was still in the hands of Coronation pacifics, the type 4s could only just keep up with them and perhaps BR didn't trust them for such a long  journey. Later double headed  EE class50s came in  north of Crewe and stole the show until full electrification.