Where is this

bizzard

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, bizzard said:

I'm not sure really where it is.

It's a class 40 loco.

The boats certainly look like Humber Keels/Sheffield Class. The very bluff bow is a give away so probably/very likely up North. There is in the distance a very typical wide lock as seen on the North East Waterways.

Just now, bizzard said:

I'm not sure really where it is.

It's a class 40 loco.

Judging by the number of people hanging out of the windows looks like an excursion. 

Also there is something on the front of the loco, a wreath or headboard of some sort?

@bizzard

The other thread is locked and I can't reply there.

The Don is incorporated into the S&SYN (Sheffield and South Yorkshire Navigation).

Swinton is on a 'canalised' section.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

Just now, Athy said:

For those of use not au fait with later class names, is it a Peak Class, a D200 or neither of these?

D200 class Whistler.  Peaks were class 44 and 45, same wheel arrangement

2 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

@bizzard

The other thread is locked and I can't reply there.

The Don is incorporated into the S&SYN (Sheffield and South Yorkshire Navigation).

Is it, thank you

• Greenie 1

22 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Sheffield & Tinsley Canal?

1832429075_SheffieldTinsleyCanal.jpg.1b8b547601ccf771c5029d0ea6c03aa2.jpg

Not there. The railway is on the inside of the curve in the photo and on the outside in your screenshot.

How about here https://maps.app.goo.gl/4Q5D83tcwZ9VdPSr8 looking north. 

Swinton, with Waddingtons yard, ex Dove and Dearne Canal in the background.

• Greenie 2

11 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Judging by the number of people hanging out of the windows looks like an excursion. 

Also there is something on the front of the loco, a wreath or headboard of some sort?

A Staffordshire railtour Ray 1984.

2 minutes ago, bizzard said:

A Staffordshire railtour Ray 1984.

The train was called ''The Dore Mat''.

2 minutes ago, bizzard said:

The train was called ''The Dore Mat''.

Naned after the suburb of Sheffield I expect.

5 minutes ago, bizzard said:

The loco had been named Empress of England wereas I don't think it was originally a named class 40.

Thanks Ray ,very good.  The photo of it on the Railway Herald website says its 40033. Perhaps they ran the train a couple of time with the different loco's. At least it's steam heating boiler was working, they often were'nt.

13 minutes ago, Athy said:

I grew up in Sheffield but don't remember a suburb called Mat.

:)

26 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Swinton, a good possibility.

Swinton.JPG

Definitely Swinton, looking towards the Waddingtons site, with their boats moored up, the lock to the right with the white walkway and control tower and the abandoned locks of the Dearne and Dove Canal to the left. There are more trees now and the chimneys are gone, but it is there.

A more modern view.

83_d6n.jpg.82eb78788430c1ea3309bf1a2d280216.jpg

This photograph is copyright Peter Stockdale and is from CanalPlanAC. It is Licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike licence

• Greenie 1

25 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Thanks Ray ,very good.  The photo of it on the Railway Herald website says its 40033.

This shows how memories can fail or fade. Whilst I was aware that the first few Peak Class engines were namers - I recall Skiddaw and Inglesborough for example - I had no recollection of the D200s carrying names. Yes they did, says Wiki, and even prints a list of them, including this one. Appafrently a few were named unofficially later in their lives.

Just one thing: was there ever an official title of Empress of England (rather than of Britain)? 

Edited by Athy

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

This shows how memories can fail or fade. Whilst I was aware that the first few Peak Class engines were namers - I recall Skiddaw and Inglesborough for example - I had no recollection of the D200s carrying names. Yes they did, says Wiki, and even prints a list of them, including this one. Appafrently a few were named unofficially later in their lives.

Just one thing: was there ever an official title of Empress of England (rather than of Britain)? 

The very first quota of the class 40's, D200's onwards to about D210 were sent to the Great Eastern section. Liverpool st  Norwich to supplement the Britannia pacifics. Non of them were named then.  When the classes Brush Type 4, class 47's and class 37's came along all theClass 40's D200's were transferred away from the GE to the LM West coast mainline and elswhere when many of them received named. Yes Empress of Britain.

• Greenie 1

Just now, bizzard said:

Here's a proper loco.  A4 Union of South Africa on a Kings X York charter in 2005.

588026.jpg

We saw it at Downham Market when it was hauling a special about five or six years ago - the first Streak I'd seen in action since they were withdrawn. As it approached the station and the driver sounded the distinctive whistle, I said to Mrs. Athy "I've waited since about 1964 to hear that".