Woke up this morning and my water pump is not working.

JackShaftoe

Featured Posts

As the title says, I woke up this morning and the water pump is just doing nothing. It was fine last night and has given me no issues in the past. There is power on the boat and water in the tank but when you open a tap nothing. No water, no sound. Have checked for loose wires or any other obvious reasons why it wouldn't be working. It was cold in the night but it's been cold before. Any suggestions?

17 minutes ago, Higgs said:

Have you got any type of multimeter, to confirm you have power to the pump? 

No I don't. Guess I will have to get one.

18 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

But do you have electricity at the pump?

My boat had the water pump switch hidden away in a cupboard and could have taken ages to find if someone had turned it off.

I have a switch under the sink and have tried it a few times but nothing happening.

11 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Where is it located? @Onewheeler's suggestion may well be correct but you won't know until you establish if there is an electrical supply at the pump.

OK so how do i do this. Assume I am an idiot that knows nothing

9 minutes ago, JackShaftoe said:

I attached a cigarette lighter charger to the wires coming out of the switch into the pump and it worked fine

The power might be enough to operate a cigarette lighter charger, but it might not be enough to get the pump started. The pump may have seized. The pump may have seized. Or there may just be a current drop in the line.

Edited by Higgs

8 minutes ago, JackShaftoe said:

I attached a cigarette lighter charger to the wires coming out of the switch into the pump and it worked fine

That MIGHT suggest the switch is faulty but it could just as easily be further back towards the batteries.

Are the fuses torpedo shaped euro fuses? If so clean the tips and bent the holders together a little. Then when convenient buy a decent fuse holder and change. Blade types are good.

Couldn't tell you exactly but less than 5. About 2 to 3 years at guess

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

That MIGHT suggest the switch is faulty but it could just as easily be further back towards the batteries.

Are the fuses torpedo shaped euro fuses? If so clean the tips and bent the holders together a little. Then when convenient buy a decent fuse holder and change. Blade types are good.

Blade fuses