Steam Narrowboat

morrisminor

Featured Posts

• 5 years later...
On 02/01/2017 at 07:33, Athy said:

Nice to hear that Hasty is out and about. She wasn't at Alvecote (where she had previously been one of the stars of the show) last year, I thought perhaps she was out of commission.

And here's Hasty today, she passed us about half an hour ago and promptly moored up opposite the Boat House in Braunston.

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

I thought a photo of Hasty was going to be added to your post.

Ha, so did I. In the space of a minute or two whilst I was typing it had been forgotten!

I see someone else has beaten me to it. Anyway, here's mine.

They judged that space just right, it looked as though they wouldn't fit from where I was sitting.

IMG_20220415_174240134_HDR.jpg

Edited by Lily Rose
Add photo
  • Greenie 2

Had quite an interesting chat with Keith (or Andy, I dunno) about Hasty this morning and the problems they have getting good "clean" Welsh coal rather than the filthy German stuff. 

Apparently they will be taking Hasty past our marina on the way from Coventry to Stockton for a steam rally at The Blue Lias on 28 & 29 May.

http://www.msrvs.co.uk/club-news.html

Two steam boats in one day!

Hasty went past us about half an hour ago, about a mile north of Braunston, heading towards Rugby and then Trevor went past a couple of minutes ago heading for Braunston.

Trevor's steerer said it was the first time he'd ever met another steam boat coming towards him.

No photos this time I'm afraid. 

Yes, I know Keith and Hasty well, and have been aboard Trevor who are oil fired fired. 

Coal is becoming an issue, the Welsh government appear to be refusing to renew the extraction license at Foss-y-fran, the only Welsh mine operating, which means it will close in October. Which is a shame as it's absolutely lovely high grade, clean burning, certified smokeless, low sulphur, Steam Coal. 

Russian coal is fine and still currently available from stockpiles I'm told, but obviously facing uncertainty due to politics and war, likewise coal from Kazakhstan. 

We've done two days trialing 'Wildfire' ovals, which would do at a pinch, but you would never but them from choice. Much higher ash, loads of klicker, more smoke, more soot in the tubes, higher fuel consumption, and the sulfur content is really noticeable. 

And the wholes lots jumped up 30% in price like everything else!

Heyho

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/04/2022 at 22:52, DHutch said:

Yes, I know Keith and Hasty well, and have been aboard Trevor who are oil fired fired. 

Coal is becoming an issue, the Welsh government appear to be refusing to renew the extraction license at Foss-y-fran, the only Welsh mine operating, which means it will close in October. Which is a shame as it's absolutely lovely high grade, clean burning, certified smokeless, low sulphur, Steam Coal. 

Russian coal is fine and still currently available from stockpiles I'm told, but obviously facing uncertainty due to politics and war, likewise coal from Kazakhstan. 

We've done two days trialing 'Wildfire' ovals, which would do at a pinch, but you would never but them from choice. Much higher ash, loads of klicker, more smoke, more soot in the tubes, higher fuel consumption, and the sulfur content is really noticeable. 

And the wholes lots jumped up 30% in price like everything else!

Heyho

Have the various eco coals

got any future firing steam engines? The stuff that is 50% olive stones or thereabouts.

8 minutes ago, Up-Side-Down said:

got any future firing steam engines? The stuff that is 50% olive stones or thereabouts.

When we have a system wide network of electric boat charging bollards, you can fill the coal bunker with Lithium batteries and put an immersion heater in the boiler. An Essex flange can be used to retro-fit a boiler initially designed for coal firing. 😀

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Up-Side-Down said:

Bound to be the perfect solution, as olive stones have exactly the same calorific value as best quality Welsh steam coal. Probably...

:giggles:

I understand that experments on some heritage steam railways suggest that around twice the volume/weight of the olive stone stuff is needed compared with the now virtually unobtainable Welsh stuff. It makes correspondingly much more, and much finer,  ash too.