Is there a good/bad time of year to buy a NB?

Thank You

Featured Posts

43 minutes ago, Thank You said:

Hello.

Just one simple question.

I am looking to buy a used NB.

Is there a time of year when it is a buyers market?

Thank you.

Welcome,

Simple answer.

No, especially at the moment.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

Currently a sellers market, I suspect that once foreign holidays are back on the market without travel restrictions this may change

I would keep your eye open and if the right boat comes along and in your price range, then it's time to buy, or you'll never buy

• Greenie 1

Lockdown is the problem at the moment. It's difficult to see a boat before buying and even more difficult to visit it when you have brought it.  Once lockdown eases it will be easier to view but I think demand will exceed supply for the next few years. 

It has been a sellers market for the last 5+ years (maybe 10 years) due to the large amount of disposable incomes 'floating about' (Pension pots now available, house downsizing, etc etc) and I foresee it continuing to be that way for several years yet.

A reasonable boat, reasonably priced will sell within hours - many before they are even advertised as buyers register with brokers, they then get a call, "boat meeting your requirements is coming in this afternoon, get here quickly, there are 4 others on their way".

If you try and beat down the price, 'hum and haw' or delay for any reason you will lose it.

There are many instances / stories of boats being sold and deposits paid without the buyer even seeing the boat, or, having it surveyed.

Absolute wrecks are even selling, you only have to look at some of the threads here where someone has brought a 'scrapper' and are trying to do it up to live on in London.

If a boat is for sale for more than a week there is something wrong with it, or, the price is way way over the top.

• Greenie 1

Thank you all,

Your advice is really useful.

I am not anticipating buying until about very late 2021 or early 2022, so I have time to research and register with brokers.

My aim is for a small NB to live on for myself, cruising but with a winter mooring, and not anywhere near London.

I will keep reading these boards as the topics and information are interesting, educational and useful, and the contributors appear to be a very nice community.

Thank You,

29 minutes ago, Thank You said:

Thank you all,

Your advice is really useful.

I am not anticipating buying until about very late 2021 or early 2022, so I have time to research and register with brokers.

My aim is for a small NB to live on for myself, cruising but with a winter mooring, and not anywhere near London.

I will keep reading these boards as the topics and information are interesting, educational and useful, and the contributors appear to be a very nice community.

Thank You,

That part of your post speaks volumes. you will do well. for what its worth in my experience of living on boats in excess of thirty years boats priced correctly sell very quicklt at all times of the year. At present if you dont buy it within a couple of days it will be gone. A bit like a house in that any you see hanging around for months are simply overpriced for what they are and where they are.

• Greenie 1

No need to worry about registering with brokers, the good ones are not interested until you have the cash! 

Then you will probably find it all happens in a rush.... booking viewing, booking good surveyor, etc etc, and in my experience a full on family crisis that same week! 

Edited by LadyG

When you've got the cash it's still worth contacting brokers to let them know what you're looking for and what position you're in.  Talk nicely to them and it might pay off.  In my case in recent weeks I've had personal emails/phone calls from some brokers having taken this approach of boats which are on their way into brokerage or have arrived and haven't been advertised.  It beats being on the automated mailshot everyone receives and by which point it's possibly too late.

Explain to brokers it's for a residential purchase to stand you some chance of a viewing.

There's compatively nothing on the market at the moment - even Whilton/Venetian who usually have easily 60+ boats for sale between them have next to nothing. 

Those who bought them on the basis of not being able to do a foreign holiday etc will I suspect have them back up for sale in a year or so.

• Greenie 1