LPG in cable trays

jakenaljib

Featured Posts

57 minutes ago, jakenaljib said:

Can anyone tell me if the BSS allows you to run lpg pipes in cables trays?

thanks!

If its secured according to the BSS and if it has sufficient separation from electrical cables I can't see why not but best ask the BSS Office.

7 minutes ago, jakenaljib said:

No I haven’t read the guide. Not sure where to find it! It’s 230 and 24v

If you think a tray will save you using trunking then I fear you may have problems fin ding the width to get sufficient separation between the gas pipe, 12V & 240V supplies.

Try here http://www.marinesurveys.net/boatsafety.htm

1 minute ago, Murflynn said:

I am more than a bit concerned that there are boat owners out there doing work on their boats who cannot locate this on their search engines:

https://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/requirements-examinations-certification/

Yes, at least two other sources, one of which I linked to. I am also concerned the OP may well not know about whatever the RCD is now called. He almost certainly won't have access to all the ISOs he will need to comply with that.

19 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

Section 7 says 30mm separation and sheathed cables are regarded as being in a conduit so my reading would so long as there is the required 30mm min. gap  between the gas pipe and sheathed cables it would be ok

However, I would still want a physical air gap between 12 and 240 volt cables despite the sheath on the 240V cable. Having seen the results of a short on 12v burning a number of 12v conductors together I would not want to add 240V to that mix. That brings the material the tray is made of into play, If its metal it just another potential cause of a short even if it is isolated from the hull.

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

However, I would still want a physical air gap between 12 and 240 volt cables despite the sheath on the 240V cable. Having seen the results of a short on 12v burning a number of 12v conductors together I would not want to add 240V to that mix. That brings the material the tray is made of into play, If its metal it just another potential cause of a short even if it is isolated from the hull.

Yes im not sure how practical a typical metal cable tray would be. 

Copper pipe and metal cable tray with potential damp atmosphere would be a concern for me.

25 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

Copper pipe and metal cable tray with potential damp atmosphere would be a concern for me.

I am also not sure where/how he intends to use them and why he thinks they are a good idea. I find 12V wires bundled with zip ties or similar every few inches and then supported by zip tie in a screw on "bracket" is neat enough and also easy to undo in the future if needed. I also quite like clip top plastic trunking for 12 or 240V cables (not in the same trunking).

1 hour ago, jonathanA said:

You do get FRP cable tray these days so no metal at all.