Any ideas where this is?

Philip

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, archie57 said:

- but it has been modernised (in this picture) - centre paddles removed........

Can't see the picture? I did the Grand Union mainline for the first time last year, and the vast majority of the locks between Brentford and Braunston had two centre paddles on each top gate, like in the top pic. Looking at GU lock photos from 10 or more years ago, it looks like many have been re-fitted in recent years.

Edited by Philip

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

Can't see the picture? I did the Grand Union mainline for the first time last year, and the vast majority of the locks between Brentford and Braunston had two centre paddles on each top gate, like in the top pic. Looking at GU lock photos from 10 or more years ago, it looks like many have been re-fitted in recent years.

I was referring to the main picture - the spindles have been removed.....

BW agreed some years back with boating organisations, including HNBOC and IWA that, for heritage reasons, new GU top gates would be fitted with centre paddles and BW would also stop removing boating furniture like holding back pins

Generally it works, and when Stoke Bruerne top was done the top gates were fitted for but not with paddles until the tail footbridge was completed.

Unfortunately, periodically a cheese paring new manager conveniently 'forgets' to specify gate paddles and then has to be reminded of the agreement.  Braunston lock 5 ( top one in the piccy) is one example of this.  The gates were renewed a couple of years ago but gate paddles were not fitted.

N