First boat residential mooring.

M.S.F.

Featured Posts

Good evening, good afternoon and good morning lovely people of the narrow boating world. Myself Mytch, my other half Hollie and our beautiful German shepherd Flo are looking to buy a Narrow boat to live in full time. With family I have hired out narrow boats 3 or 4 times, we are looking to get a loan/Mortgage on this Boat. we're currently living in Aldershot. My other half works in Aldershot and I work in Farnborough. We are looking for a place to Moore before we buy, we are looking for suggestion on places to Moore/availability. We are very new to the game, is private mooring something you could do? A mooring onto a farm or small land would be perfect but we are struggling to find places. we are looking on the river Wey. 

Thank you in advance for any help/advice you can offer.

15 minutes ago, M.S.F. said:

With family I have hired out narrow boats 3 or 4 times, we are looking to get a loan/Mortgage on this Boat.

I don't think there still are any companies offering either loans or mortgages** secured on canal boats, I think your only option (apart from family) is to get a Personal Loan.

** A boat is such an easy product to move / steal / lose / repaint / change numbers that there is no 'security' in it for a lender.

There are companies offering 'Marine Mortgages' but these tend to be for expensive boats and one requirement is for it to be registered on the Government database.

There are no residential moorings on the Basingstoke Canal except those owned by Surrey County Council at New Haw and I think they own the 2 at Brookwood. I imagine there is a waiting list for these as they have all facilities and security. I have noticed one or two gaps but you would have to contact Surrey County Council  at County Hall, Kingston and not the Basingstoke Canal Authority. On the Wey most of the historic residential moorings have gone but they do have 'wardens' on their own mooring sites who are allowed to live aboard. Some people, I believe, are resident in Pyrford marina. On both the Basingstoke and Wey they are very careful not to allow live aboard boats anywhere. Any Marina berth around here is going to be expensive. 6-7K a year.

31 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I don't think there still are any companies offering either loans or mortgages** secured on canal boats, I think your only option (apart from family) is to get a Personal Loan.

** A boat is such an easy product to move / steal / lose / repaint / change numbers that there is no 'security' in it for a lender.

There are companies offering 'Marine Mortgages' but these tend to be for expensive boats and one requirement is for it to be registered on the Government database.

https://www.pegasusmarinefinance.co.uk/

https://www.arklefinance.co.uk/products/marine-mortgage

Edited by ditchcrawler

I lived in farnborough for 4 years then Guildford before London, the only place I found was Farncombe boathouse, Godolming, no residential moorings but keep your head down non residential. But this was in 2004 when I needed a base in Surrey as work was dunsfold based.

Moving from house to boat usually involves giving up a lot of security.

Residential moorings are very rare, and many/most have no security of tenure.

Most people live on a "leisure mooring" and maintain a lowish profile. This is often done with the informal agreement of the mooring owner (or at least looking the other way) but nothing in writing. Any trouble or a complaint from a local house owner and its time to go.

Boats move and the mooring owner can request that they do that on a whim.

Boats are really intended to be used for boating and the whole concept of living on a boat in one fixed location is not really covered by any housing law or standards.

.............Dave

• Greenie 4

Keep your ear to the ground, network with other boaters, visit boaters hang outs and spread the word.

Use your feet to pound the towpath/bank see what you can find and make enquiries in the first person rather than by phone or email.

Have you any photos of Flo?

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Did you notice one of the conditions ?

Only boats that can be registered on the UK’s shipping register are eligible for a mortgage.

(As I mentioned in post #4)

Registering a Leisure Vessel (Part 1)

For a first time registration on the UK Ship register the following documents will need to be submitted:

Application to register 

Registration fee

Declaration of eligibility 

Certificate of incorporation (if applicable)

Bill of Sale or Builders Certificate

Five years title evidence is required to register a pleasure vessel. A vessel that is under five years old will require title from the builders certificate to the current bill of sale.

All new registrations regardless of the size of the vessel will require a UK certificate of survey for tonnage and measurement issued with a 12 month period of the application to register. The survey must be completed by a surveyor from a class/certifying authority.

UK ITC 69 - is required for all new registrations for vessel over 24m load line/registered length. The ITC must be completed by a surveyor from either the MCA or a Recognised Organisation (ship inspection and survey organisation) listed in MSN 1672.

Once the application has been approved, the Carving and Marking note will be issued, which will confirm the correct markings for the vessel. The Carving and Marking note will need to be completed by the owner of the vessel or if the vessel is 24m or more in length a recognised surveyor will need to sign, date and stamp the document. 

Before you start

You’ll need:

• the dimensions of your boat

• the previous registration details of the boat (if it’s been registered before)
  • the bill of sale

• the radio signal detail - including your UK radio call sign, Maritime Mobile Service Identity (MMSI) number and International Maritime Organization (IMO) number
  • the builders certificate

• a certificate of survey for tonnage and measurement

• an international tonnage certificate (ITC69)

• safety certificates

Edited by Alan de Enfield

34 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Did you notice one of the conditions ?

Only boats that can be registered on the UK’s shipping register are eligible for a mortgage.

(As I mentioned in post #4)

Registering a Leisure Vessel (Part 1)

For a first time registration on the UK Ship register the following documents will need to be submitted:

Application to register 

Registration fee

Declaration of eligibility 

Certificate of incorporation (if applicable)

Bill of Sale or Builders Certificate

Five years title evidence is required to register a pleasure vessel. A vessel that is under five years old will require title from the builders certificate to the current bill of sale.

All new registrations regardless of the size of the vessel will require a UK certificate of survey for tonnage and measurement issued with a 12 month period of the application to register. The survey must be completed by a surveyor from a class/certifying authority.

UK ITC 69 - is required for all new registrations for vessel over 24m load line/registered length. The ITC must be completed by a surveyor from either the MCA or a Recognised Organisation (ship inspection and survey organisation) listed in MSN 1672.

Once the application has been approved, the Carving and Marking note will be issued, which will confirm the correct markings for the vessel. The Carving and Marking note will need to be completed by the owner of the vessel or if the vessel is 24m or more in length a recognised surveyor will need to sign, date and stamp the document. 

Before you start

You’ll need:

• the dimensions of your boat

• the previous registration details of the boat (if it’s been registered before)
  • the bill of sale

• the radio signal detail - including your UK radio call sign, Maritime Mobile Service Identity (MMSI) number and International Maritime Organization (IMO) number
  • the builders certificate

• a certificate of survey for tonnage and measurement

• an international tonnage certificate (ITC69)

• safety certificates

In their header they include Narrowboats

43 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

In their header they include Narrowboats

Yes, A NB can be registered but it is an expensive 'faff' having to get a 'tonnage certificate' (not the weight) by an authorised surveyor, have ownership bills of sale for at least 5 years, and / or Builders certificates etc etc.

Not many canal boats have such a paper trail.

Not being difficult just stating facts.

12 hours ago, M.S.F. said:

Good evening, good afternoon and good morning lovely people of the narrow boating world. Myself Mytch, my other half Hollie and our beautiful German shepherd Flo are looking to buy a Narrow boat to live in full time. With family I have hired out narrow boats 3 or 4 times, we are looking to get a loan/Mortgage on this Boat. we're currently living in Aldershot. My other half works in Aldershot and I work in Farnborough. We are looking for a place to Moore before we buy, we are looking for suggestion on places to Moore/availability. We are very new to the game, is private mooring something you could do? A mooring onto a farm or small land would be perfect but we are struggling to find places. we are looking on the river Wey. 

Thank you in advance for any help/advice you can offer.

You will do better if you drop the " Residential " bit. There are many moorings about the country and the beauty of your new life is you dont need to be stuck in one bit, thats what is so good about it, non of the putting roots down nonsense. I have a hell of a lot of full time liveaboard friends up and down the country non of which have a residential mooring and many of us have well in excess of twenty thirty and forty years living aboard. If you are working in one place then definately getting a mooring makes life much easier.

22 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I am really pleased that you are looking for a mooring before committing to buying. Residential moorings are like droppings from golden unicorns especially where you want one.

Good luck.

we are thinking about working from home and continuous cruising but it is likely we will have to take a pay cut for this to happen. we are trying to do everything we can to make it happen

21 hours ago, dmr said:

Moving from house to boat usually involves giving up a lot of security.

Residential moorings are very rare, and many/most have no security of tenure.

Most people live on a "leisure mooring" and maintain a lowish profile. This is often done with the informal agreement of the mooring owner (or at least looking the other way) but nothing in writing. Any trouble or a complaint from a local house owner and its time to go.

Boats move and the mooring owner can request that they do that on a whim.

Boats are really intended to be used for boating and the whole concept of living on a boat in one fixed location is not really covered by any housing law or standards.

.............Dave

thank you very much Dave, really appreciate your advice. are you aloud to stay over night in these leisure moorings. so a few nights in the week and disapear at the weekend ?

21 hours ago, zenataomm said:

Keep your ear to the ground, network with other boaters, visit boaters hang outs and spread the word.

Use your feet to pound the towpath/bank see what you can find and make enquiries in the first person rather than by phone or email.

Have you any photos of Flo?

thank you Zenataomm. my other half has a instagram account for Flo @GSD-Flo 

image.png

19 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yes, A NB can be registered but it is an expensive 'faff'

Yes our first narrow boat Thistle had originally been registered by Anglo-Welsh as a 13-ton ship complete with all her "boats, guns, ammunition, small arms, and appurtenances" to secure a marine mortgage in setting up their hire fleet.

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

I wonder if this is ideal for Flo, unless you get a widebeam it's going to be pretty crowded on board, also boats tend to get quite hot indoors in summer.

I have a long haired cat and try to find a mooring which allows the solar to charge the batteries, and the rest of the roof is under a tree,  my cat has the option to lie outdoors, so I try to find a place not to near a road, he does stay outdoors in summer if he finds a suitable den.

42 minutes ago, M.S.F. said:

thank you very much Dave, really appreciate your advice. are you aloud to stay over night in these leisure moorings. so a few nights in the week and disapear at the weekend ?

If your face fits and you behave yourself and keep a low profile you can get away with anything you like ?.

Marinas and some mooring owners will have very variable rules ranging from "no or very occasional over night stays" to "stay as much as you want but it must not be your main address" (if you have children then buy them a house and use their address ?)

Some marinas now even have "high use" moorings where you live full time (at extra cost) but do not use it as an address.

Its actually mostly down to planning law and most moorings do not have residential status. CRT have many moorings and have no interest at all in what you do with them, they say that's a matter between you and the local planners, and usually the local planners are not interested....till somebody rocks the boat ?

but as I said    zero long term security.

.............Dave

59 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I wonder if this is ideal for Flo, unless you get a widebeam it's going to be pretty crowded on board, also boats tend to get quite hot indoors in summer.

I have a long haired cat and try to find a mooring which allows the solar to charge the batteries, and the rest of the roof is under a tree,  my cat has the option to lie outdoors, so I try to find a place not to near a road, he does stay outdoors in summer if he finds a suitable den.

I recall in the 80s, Alan (can't remember last name) who owned ex FMC Jaguar spent his time in the original cabin with his three GSDs.  This was before he swapped the HA2 for a Bolinder and added a short lived fore cabin. I think Flo will be fine in a narrow boat.

• 6 months later...

Some residential moorings have just been advertised on Facebook on the GU

Hi, moorings available, we have 2 types ones with facilities and ones without, residential welcome, please pm for further details, located on the grand union Blisworth near Northampton