River Lot France problem with pontoon

Phoenix_V

Featured Posts

Hireboat base on the Lot appears to have had a rather expensive problem with it's overloaded pontoon.

https://www.facebook.com/christine.sanderson.3591/videos/781983502413568

https://www.ultimedia.com/deliver/generic/iframe/mdtk/01794313/src/q0sk03p/zone/1/showtitle/1/

Edited by Phoenix_V
  • Horror 2

Remarkably, he current ensured that most, if not all, of the boats got through the bridge without smashing into the pillars. Catching them will be a problem though, unless there's a nearby lock which will stop them all.

10 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

That is going to be expensive, hope their insurance covers it.

A lot of the more modern Le Boat fleet boats are privately owned and only managed by Le Boat. Not sure how the insurance works in that instance!

48 minutes ago, Athy said:

Remarkably, he current ensured that most, if not all, of the boats got through the bridge without smashing into the pillars. Catching them will be a problem though, unless there's a nearby lock which will stop them all.

The first video suggests the next lock or sluice might not be a blessing!

10 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

The first video suggests the next lock or sluice might not be a blessing!

I see what you mean!

I hadn't realised that the two videos were filmed in adjacent locations.

Never mind, when the first half-dozen have taken the plunge, they'll form an effective barrier to bring all the others to a halt.

One thing you do see quite often in France is weirs often have no floating barriers above them like here in the UK. The benefit of such in those circumstances is debatable though I would say. 

3 minutes ago, Bacchus said:

Holy ravioli. There will be a few "ideal live-aboard" bateaux on le ebay this year "la projet facile d'ete"

Quite impressive how the boats stand up to that treatment though!

But how much water does a boat take on when it goes over a weir, and how many weirs before they get washed out to sea?

2 minutes ago, David Mack said:

But how much water does a boat take on when it goes over a weir, and how many weirs before they get washed out to sea?

No idea. And I am not going to try it to find out

The boat on the far end of the weir (at about 2.55-3.00) seems to have taken on rather a lot.

6 hours ago, Athy said:

I dont thing going down the weir will have done them much good

59 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I doubt they will make it that far. That location, Luzech, is a long way from the coast. They will sink or become trapped.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

It can also happen here, (but on a bigger scale)

A massive drill ship sparked panic last night when it broke loose from its moorings  and drifted in high winds near a nuclear power plant's cooling inlet.

The vessel - the Valaris DS4 - was moored at Hunterston Terminal in Fairlie, North Ayrshire when it began drifting without power at around 7.20pm on Tuesday.

The Coastguard received a mayday call to assist the vessel and the rescue operation was still ongoing today.

The eight-strong crew of the 748ft-long drill ship had dropped the vessel's anchors which appeared to be holding in the strong gusts.   

Another ship moored at the terminal - which is between the mainland and the Isle of Cumbrae - also required assistance, and is being held in position by a number of tug boats. 

The vessel - the Valaris DS4 - was moored at Hunterston Terminal in Fairlie, North Ayrshire when it began drifting without power at around 7.20pm last night. Pictured: The ship today

Massive ship sparks panic when it breaks loose from its moorings | Daily Mail Online

8 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

A lot of the more modern Le Boat fleet boats are privately owned and only managed by Le Boat. Not sure how the insurance works in that instance!

The boats are fully covered for loss, having just checked my LeBoat contracts. Unless the insurancers try and claim 'Act of God'. Fortunately for me, none of the pension fund fleet are located at this base.

Edited by nbfiresprite
  • Greenie 1

57 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I know there are loads of links on here but this one shows them breaking away, hitting bridges and shooting weirs https://www.facebook.com/groups/761406507220740/permalink/4188635261164497/

So was this just a single raft of a pontoon and boats moored to it, with the boats separating from the raft as they proceeded downstream, or have some/all of the single boats come from other moorings?

7 minutes ago, David Mack said:

So was this just a single raft of a pontoon and boats moored to it, with the boats separating from the raft as they proceeded downstream, or have some/all of the single boats come from other moorings?

The consensus on facebook is that there were 20 of them so looks like they all started off with their pontoon, further consensus is that none would have got past the hydroelectric station downriver.  Whether this is all true or not I don't know.

16 minutes ago, David Mack said:

They started their journey together still tethered to the pontoon  they had been moored on.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/761406507220740/permalink/4187213561306667/