Dredging. Am I missing something?

noddyboater

Featured Posts

Reminds me of one of the first "environmental issues" I was faced with 50 years ago when few people even understood the word.   We were building a pipeline crossing of the tidal Dee near Queensferry and had damaged some topsoil on a farm owned by Jackie Stewart.  The farm manager insisted it was the best soil this side of Lincolnshire and required us to remove the "damaged" (compacted) soil and replace it with soil he had identified near Horncastle.

It must have been good soil 'cos on another project (in Lincolnshire) we had some "surplus" topsoil that ended up having to be trucked 100miles and dumped in the Plant Manager's garden.    Presumably that was the nearest location that could be found that didn't need a licence to dump it.  :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

Reminds me of one of the first "environmental issues" I was faced with 50 years ago when few people even understood the word.   We were building a pipeline crossing of the tidal Dee near Queensferry and had damaged some topsoil on a farm owned by Jackie Stewart.  The farm manager insisted it was the best soil this side of Lincolnshire and required us to remove the "damaged" (compacted) soil and replace it with soil he had identified near Horncastle.

It must have been good soil 'cos on another project (in Lincolnshire) we had some "surplus" topsoil that ended up having to be trucked 100miles and dumped in the Plant Manager's garden.    Presumably that was the nearest location that could be found that didn't need a licence to dump it.  :rolleyes:

Which, in context of this thread, is quite ironic as much of the Lincolnshire soil is equivalent to 'dredgings' having been at the bottom of the sea / marshes / lakes before the Fens were drained in the 1800's.

• Greenie 1

23 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Which, in context of this thread, is quite ironic as much of the Lincolnshire soil is equivalent to 'dredgings' having been at the bottom of the sea / marshes / lakes before the Fens were drained in the 1800's.

probably full of snails' droppings and dead shrimps.  It would be classified as "contaminated waste" these days.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It's likely most of the soil nr queensferry is alluvial in a similar way to the Lincolnshire "dredgings" the route of the Dee was canalised  to try to keep it navigable 

Edited by tree monkey
  • Greenie 1