Replacement windows

Greta

Featured Posts

Hello 

Your opinions are welcomed - I am looking to replace my windows aboard a 70 ft narrowboat - I believe they are currently single payne fully opener , rounded corner hoppers. Looking to replace with double glazed as I understand this may help with condensation. my questions are

- will this help reduce condensation

- does anyone have a fitter recommendation ( we live aboard in Surrey )

with thanks ?  

It will help with condensation but changing all the windows will be expensive. If it is only the condensation issue then many here have used Clingfilm type double glazing film over the winter months or made up a wooden frame with a more substantial plastic film that they fit each autumn and remove in the spring.

Thank you Tony . Yes I have worked out the cost and it’s significant but I feel it’s necessary in this case as I want to prevent damage to the lining and they let in the cold so much ! I’ll try the  film though first thank you ? 

11 minutes ago, Greta said:

Hello 

Your opinions are welcomed - I am looking to replace my windows aboard a 70 ft narrowboat - I believe they are currently single payne fully opener , rounded corner hoppers. Looking to replace with double glazed as I understand this may help with condensation. my questions are

with thanks ?  

Double glazing definitely reduces condensation on the panes. You also need to consider condensation on the frames which, with aluminium frames screwed straight onto the steel boat, is often a worse problem in terms of water damage to woodwork. So you need frames with a “thermal break” ie the frame is insulated as well. The problem with that is that it tends to make the frames quite thick. You do see boats with domestic double glazing/frames but these often seem to stick out of the side of the boat rather, looking unsightly, being prone to damage, making walking along the gunnels more tricky.

So I would try to get purpose built boat Windows eg from Wesley Marine or Channelglaze. But they are not cheap!

If it works to your satisfaction you could gradually make up a frame for thinish Perspex so you can easily clip them on or off as needed but this would depend upon having somewhere to store them. Some double beds have a largish void under the side closest to the hull. I think you can still get plastic DIY frames or make wooden ones.

The glass is the least of the problem, its the ally frames that cause most of the condensation, the glass just mists up a bit.

We have the same problem with Houdini roof hatches, I have come up with push in clear polycarbonate bungs with rubber channel around the edge to stop the warm moist air getting to the glazing.

Re-framing you will spend a lot of money to achieve very little. 

Those cling film or perspex secondary glazing ideas don't really work if you have windows with a hopper opening along the top, as the stays for the hopper in the open position project too far into the boat even when the window is closed. Any good ideas for getting round that?

2 hours ago, Greta said:

Hello 

with thanks ?  

If you’re not bothered about it being traditional in say the standard looking boat. You could go for UPVC domestic type windows.

Not my cup of tea , but may be a solution for you.   

24 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Those cling film or perspex secondary glazing ideas don't really work if you have windows with a hopper opening along the top, as the stays for the hopper in the open position project too far into the boat even when the window is closed. Any good ideas for getting round that?

Remove them? You won't be able to open them anyway whilst the DG is in place. Put them back on when the DG comes off again. I haven't done it, but I have centre full height hoppers which would have the same issue.

48 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Yes, it all depends upon the boat. Yours may but not all do. If they do make up a wooden frame to fit onto the cabin side so the film stays clear of the stays. There is a very clear plastic material now used in pull up covid screens that should work a treat and last for a long time.

26 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

If you’re not bothered about it being traditional in say the standard looking boat. You could go for UPVC domestic type windows.

Not my cup of tea , but may be a solution for you.   

Trouble is all those I have seen are outward openers, including the ones in a post a few weeks ago that were claimed to be made for bats. (Check Ebay) . Unless the degree of opening is severely restricted you are likely to damage them in a lock. Then there is how they may impede walking down the gunnel.

56 minutes ago, David Mack said:

The hopper stays on my windows simply unscrew. 

47 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Trouble is all those I have seen are outward openers, including the ones in a post a few weeks ago that were claimed to be made for bats. (Check Ebay) . Unless the degree of opening is severely restricted you are likely to damage them in a lock. Then there is how they may impede walking down the gunnel.

Absolutely. But we don’t know if the poster ever moves his boat/house on water.