Recommendations for base plate blacking

MaggieA

Featured Posts

Hi All,

I've got a Pete Nicholls boat built in 1982. She's in really good nick and I've generally had her base plate backed at my local marina. I know many folk do not do this, but I can tell you that the bitumen has always been on there when she's been re-blacked, so it's not always the case of 'don't bother, it will come off on the bottom of the canal'!

I am  by Braunston, heading south on the Oxford Canal. can anyone recommend any boat yards where they will also black the baseplate?

Thank you

2 minutes ago, MaggieA said:

Hi All,

I've got a Pete Nicholls boat built in 1982. She's in really good nick and I've generally had her base plate backed at my local marina. I know many folk do not do this, but I can tell you that the bitumen has always been on there when she's been re-blacked, so it's not always the case of 'don't bother, it will come off on the bottom of the canal'!

I am  by Braunston, heading south on the Oxford Canal. can anyone recommend any boat yards where they will also black the baseplate?

Thank you

I'd suggest that unless you find a heated dry dock, you don't even try to get it blacked for another 3 months at least (or you will be doing it again before the end of the year)

Not that close to Braunston, sorry, but the dry-dock in Northwich has high enough bostocks to get underneath and black the bottom. They do DIY (and supply a nifty trolley to lie on a wheel yourself underneath) or full service including collection and delivery if you want. No connection other than a satisfied customer.

http://www.northwichdrydock.com/

MP.

1 hour ago, MoominPapa said:

Not that close to Braunston, sorry, but the dry-dock in Northwich has high enough bostocks to get underneath and black the bottom. They do DIY (and supply a nifty trolley to lie on a wheel yourself underneath) or full service including collection and delivery if you want. No connection other than a satisfied customer.

http://www.northwichdrydock.com/

MP.

I  have just noticed looking at that photo where an old anode was removed and the difference in the blacking around it.

DSCF1412.JPG

Edited by ditchcrawler

I'm in Braunston Boats on the 8th of March. So I'm thinking I could black the base plate my self.  I am concerned about the time of year, but I have slipped up before in May, so it's always a gamble in the UK 

That pic. of the area around the anode is interesting. Seems that they don't really do very much unless you use many of them spaced at maybe 2 - 3 m intervals. (I would always use them near propellers and other mixed metals though)  

38 minutes ago, Bee said:

That pic. of the area around the anode is interesting. Seems that they don't really do very much unless you use many of them spaced at maybe 2 - 3 m intervals. (I would always use them near propellers and other mixed metals though)  

It looks slightly different for an area of about 6 foot by two

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Norm55 said:

Mine desperately needs blacking.  Is it too early in the year? Am thinking a dry dock is always going to be a damp environment any time of year.  Cold temperatures too must make a difference ?

You could light a bonfire under the boat to keep it nice and dry whilst painting. Or to make sure it's dry while painting wave a hot air gun about just ahead of your paint brush,. If your right handed work towards your left, if your left handed work towards your right so that the hot air gun is always ahead of the paint brush. :closedeyes:

Edited by bizzard
  • Horror 1

On 01/02/2021 at 11:25, MaggieA said:

Hi All,

Thank you

Debdale marina just north of foxton locks do the bottom I had mine done and afterwards going along used 200 rpm less for same speed.