Is water damage to wood veneer repairable?

NB DW

Featured Posts

Hi,

I've just been to view a boat that's up for sale privately.  Other than a roof repaint, all looks well.

The only issue I can see is with it being a reverse layout cruiser, the hatch appears to have been leaking which has then run into a cupboard at the stern which houses the calorifier.  The surface of the door and cabiet - I'm assuming veneer on top of MDF - has bubbled and rippled across an area that's roughly 15cm by 15cm.

I think I once read this could be made to look better if heat is applied.  Is this correct?  Or is it a case of a replacement panels?

Thanks

I'm looking for a liveaboard boat as a primary residence and visited the boat pictured earlier today.  I kept well away from the owner, with him letting me walk about the boat alone, and wore a mask and disposable gloves.  Shopping in a supermarket would have been a thousand times more risky given how close people get.  Just thought it worth adding in case anyone were to think I was sticking 2 fingers up at the rules etc.

Detail:

Built in 2010.  Fitted out by Orchard Marine and shell by Liverpool Boats

1 owner from new, manual present

60ft Cruiser with Isuzu 42 engine having done only 400 hours

Reverse layout

Sterling 1600w inverter, Webasto Top C feeding the radiators, Morso Squirrel

12v/240 Shoreline fridge

No shortage of storage!  Drawers and cupboards all over the place

Evidently barely used with the interior being as new.  The oven's never been switched on!

Seems a nice quality fit out.  Granite work surfaces, no evidence of water marks or ingress anywhere (see below)

Blacked every 3 years at Wrenbury boat yard with bitumen

I like the layout

Bad points:

Needs blacking

It's been sat a while so felt a little damp inside.  The floor is ever so slightly flexible in some areas of the boat

Looks like the hatch has been letting water into the cupboard at the stern housing the califorier causing the woodwork to bubble

Wooden window/porthole frames all need refinishing

The roof was painted last year by the owner but not sure the prep was what it should have been - there's evidence of it bubbling again

No immersion heater and owner unsure whether the Webasto could be used to heat the water

No plumbing for a washing machine

Only 1 small side hatch (but that's hardly the owner's fault!)

The owner will take £55k

I've got to factor in the cost of somebody re-working a cupboard space and plumbing for a washing machince and fitting of an immersion heater/new califorier.  Plus potential new cupboard required due to damage from water ingress from hatch.

2 pack paint and blasting will likely set me back £2500, maybe £1000-1500(?) for a washing machine and plumbing plus a califorier with an immersion element?

What do you reckon?  Apologies, only very limited photos..

Boat1.JPG

boat2.JPG

boat3.JPG

boat4.JPG

boat5.JPG

boat6.JPG

I'm not 100% sure what it's made of.  Potentially it's solid wood.  The reason I say this is because a few years after the fitout was done, the same people fitted fixed seating and this was done in the same matching wood.  I noticed the joints were dovetailed so guess that's solidwood too.

25 minutes ago, NB DW said:

I'm not 100% sure what it's made of.  Potentially it's solid wood.  The reason I say this is because a few years after the fitout was done, the same people fitted fixed seating and this was done in the same matching wood.  I noticed the joints were dovetailed so guess that's solidwood too.

If it turned out to be solid wood you could of course smooth the surface and refinish.