The state of the market for used boats.

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

issue is its difficult to know what is sensible price of a specific boat... house may be slightly easier... 

would you buy a boat just based on pictures and it's price? 

Absolutely not. And we genuinely find it strange that two of our potential buyers are considering doing so. But in the current climate that has become the norm.

No doubt we will find the same when we are motorhome shopping.

3 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

We have an offer on our boat from someone who has not seen it other than photos. 

Another wants to view which is obviously difficult right now.

And we have a third interested party who again has no intention of viewing the boat but wants to see what the others offer first?

No shortage of buyers right now for sensibly priced boats.

Perhaps the offer is from a member or a browser of this forum,and has read some of your posts about your boat and feels confident enough to make an offer.

5 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Perhaps the offer is from a member or a browser of this forum,and has read some of your posts about your boat and feels confident enough to make an offer.

Not this forum but another forum. 

Even so I would rather view something I am going to spend the thick end of £30k on ?

4 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

I did wonder that, and of course she's a series production boat not a one-off narrowboat so a more knowable starting point.

Anyone doing any internet searching for Naughty Cal will find out just how well she's been looked after over the years too.

No doubt we will find the same when we are motorhome shopping.

Someone I know works for Salop Caravans and he's said they have sold lots of motorhomes and caravans unseen by the buyers. They are having problems getting stuff delivered.

Have to admit I don't like the thought of holidaymakers who would normally be taking their 'must-have' exotic foreign holiday this year, instead clogging up the canals and lengthening the queues at locks! 

Edited by Philip

7 hours ago, Graham Davis said:

Someone I know works for Salop Caravans and he's said they have sold lots of motorhomes and caravans unseen by the buyers. They are having problems getting stuff delivered.

We're looking to buy a motor home or caravan (as yet undecided which). We've decided to wait until foreign holidays start up again, we have a feeling there might be a lot of folks selling.

The joys of a British caravan/motor home holiday may rapidly wane to those used to spending their holidays in Goa or the Algarve ?

• Happy 1

8 hours ago, Graham Davis said:

We have narrowed down the make and model of motorhome that we want and there are very few for sale at the moment and those that do come for sale are expensive.

We are considering going against our better judgement and buying a new one as there really isn't a deal of difference in price between ones at a couple of years old and new at the minute.

16 hours ago, peterboat said:

How many planes will be fit to fly after standing for a year or 2?

I think the planes will be OK as they are maintained - its the rusty pilots I'd be concerned about as apparently not enough flight sim time available to cope with them keeping up hours..

42 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

I think the planes will be OK as they are maintained - its the rusty pilots I'd be concerned about as apparently not enough flight sim time available to cope with them keeping up hours..

I was talking to a sacked Ryan air pilot who said they were just sitting on the ground unmaintained! No money to do it apparently, it's serious money and the coffers are bare in most cases. Now that might be sour grapes talking but he was retiring anyway as he was fed up of being treated like crap

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I was talking to a sacked Ryan air pilot who said they were just sitting on the ground unmaintained! No money to do it apparently, it's serious money and the coffers are bare in most cases. Now that might be sour grapes talking but he was retiring anyway as he was fed up of being treated like crap

oh, thats not good... takes loads to fire them up again after sitting......  

1 minute ago, robtheplod said:

oh, thats not good... takes loads to fire them up again after sitting......  

That's what he said he got his redundancy and pension so he was happy really, as we have heard on the news urynal air were screwing the pilot's on wages

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

We have narrowed down the make and model of motorhome that we want and there are very few for sale at the moment and those that do come for sale are expensive.

We are considering going against our better judgement and buying a new one as there really isn't a deal of difference in price between ones at a couple of years old and new at the minute.

Have a check of the warranty situation on your intended putchase. Often when first owner of a MH you ger anything up to 10 year's against water ingress, sometimes 5 or 6. You have to have a ^habitation' service annually but the cost of fixing damp can run into thousands.

As a second or third owner you normally dont get as long and if you intend to keep it a decent length of time you could end up forking out.

New might just be the way to go especially if the price differential is not that great.

11 minutes ago, peterboat said:

That's what he said he got his redundancy and pension so he was happy really, as we have heard on the news urynal air were screwing the pilot's on wages

Ryanair's boss is an @rse.

He once justified trying to screw down the wages of his pilots by saying that he didnt know what the big deal about being a pilot was, 'after all, computers do all the flying'.

14 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Have a check of the warranty situation on your intended putchase. Often when first owner of a MH you ger anything up to 10 year's against water ingress, sometimes 5 or 6. You have to have a ^habitation' service annually but the cost of fixing damp can run into thousands.

As a second or third owner you normally dont get as long and if you intend to keep it a decent length of time you could end up forking out.

New might just be the way to go especially if the price differential is not that great.

Yes we had looked into all this over the last 18 months when we were looking to buy previously.

The water ingress warranty is 10 years on the motorhome that we want but you are right you do need a hab check every year to keep the warranty. Not a problem as we would just have that done when we have the engine serviced. If we end up buying used we will probably not bother with the hab check every year.

9 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Yes we had looked into all this over the last 18 months when we were looking to buy previously.

The water ingress warranty is 10 years on the motorhome that we want but you are right you do need a hab check every year to keep the warranty. Not a problem as we would just have that done when we have the engine serviced. If we end up buying used we will probably not bother with the hab check every year.

Have it done honestly leaks are much more common than you think! If their is a forum for the brand join it, I am talking from experience here 

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

I presume you have looked at Newark (Apparently the largest Motorhome seller in the UK, and possibly Europe)

Motorhomes For Sale | New and Used Motorhomes | Brownhills Motorhomes Limited

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I presume you have looked at Newark (Apparently the largest Motorhome seller in the UK, and possibly Europe)

...and not too far from where the Cals live - whether they're allowed to rive over there I'm not sure.

27 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Motorhomes For Sale | New and Used Motorhomes | Brownhills Motorhomes Limited

Yes we have had a good browse around there.

The dealers for the brand we want are even closer to home though. They are a 10 minute drive up the A57 to Dinnington.

https://www.marquisleisure.co.uk/locations/south-yorkshire

13 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

I did wonder that, and of course she's a series production boat not a one-off narrowboat so a more knowable starting point.

Anyone doing any internet searching for Naughty Cal will find out just how well she's been looked after over the years too.

When we sold our previous boat over 4 years ago the new owners had read our blog and knew all about its maintenance history!

• Greenie 1

Just now, Naughty Cal said:

Yes we have had a good browse around there.

The dealers for the brand we want are even closer to home though. They are a 10 minute drive up the A57 to Dinnington.

https://www.marquisleisure.co.uk/locations/south-yorkshire

And thats the other thing. It always pays to buy from a dealer close to home as they are the ones who do your warranty stuff. As you will know Motorhomes and caravan dealer networks dont work like car ones. For the habitation stuff in a motorhome and a caravan the supplying dealer does the warranty work, if another dealer for the same manufacturer is approached to do warranty stuff they will rarely if ever oblige.

People get caught out doing 'deals' at the big annual shows often with a dealer sometimes a hundred or so miles away only to find the savings they made are eaten up in the fuel costs and inconvenience of returning it when things need fixing.

Someone in our Club has got a new Bailey motor home due for delivery next month and has sold his 3 year old one for a profit. The market is crazy at the moment.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, NB Alnwick said:

Earlier in this topic there was mention of Rugby Boats - I know that Dominic Miles is no longer a director there, does anyone know where Dominic is now?

Didn't he move to France??