Navigating London to Bristol (in lockdown!)

Featured Posts

On 30/01/2021 at 22:44, Chris John said:

Oh so some people aren’t taking it seriously....so carry on. Maybe that’s why we’re in the mess we are ...

Yes, how does a national hero who's 100 years old get infected with covid-19 and why does nobody in the media seem to be asking that question today? Clearly someone wasn't being as careful as they should have been, but in the UK that's seen as normal. I'm sure NZ, South Korea or Japan wouldn't allow their Captain Toms to get infected quite so casually.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

42 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Yes, how does a national hero who's 100 years old get infected with covid-19 and why does nobody in the media seem to be asking that question today? Clearly someone wasn't being as careful as they should have been, but in the UK that's seen as normal. I'm sure NZ, South Korea or Japan wouldn't allow their Captain Toms to get infected quite so casually.

We still have poorly paid carers moving from house to house looking after vulnerable old people who live at home. They have not been vaccinated and if they think they have got the virus probably can't afford  not to keep on working. I was told of one recently who thought she had the virus but was instructed by her agency boss to keep on working.

...........Dave

2 minutes ago, dmr said:

We still have poorly paid carers moving from house to house looking after vulnerable old people who live at home. They have not been vaccinated and if they think they have got the virus probably can't afford  not to keep on working. I was told of one recently who thought she had the virus but was instructed by her agency boss to keep on working.

...........Dave

There are also a lot of care workers refusing the vaccine....at least 3 in my Dads care home.

At least he has had his now so might just suffer from staffing when they stiff it.

Captain Tom (confined to care home)decides to treat his family to a final holiday in very low risk Barbados free of charge, why not. Comes back to the miserable, wet cold grey UK and gets pneumonia at 100, quite unexceptional. In a pandemic, older people die. 

Hes had a great life, a fantastic year, will be remembered for a long time.

Well done Sir.

7 minutes ago, matty40s said:

There are also a lot of care workers refusing the vaccine....at least 3 in my Dads care home.

At least he has had his now so might just suffer from staffing when they stiff it.

Captain Tom (confined to care home)decides to treat his family to a final holiday in very low risk Barbados free of charge, why not. Comes back to the miserable, wet cold grey UK and gets pneumonia at 100, quite unexceptional. In a pandemic, older people die. 

Hes had a great life, a fantastic year, will be remembered for a long time.

Well done Sir.

The virus is scary but peoples behaviour is even scarier. I bet many of those refusing the vaccine are happy to drink any alcohol they can find and probably buy untested drugs off strangers on a Saturday night out. ?

Everyday during this crisis I realise just how lucky we are to be living on a boat.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, dmr said:

The virus is scary but peoples behaviour is even scarier. I bet many of those refusing the vaccine are happy to drink any alcohol they can find and probably buy untested drugs off strangers on a Saturday night out. ?

Er, but people are not having Saturday nights out.

35 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

apart from those getting fined at boat parties, house parties, illegal raves etc. you mean?

That's correct, because most venues where people can go o Saturday nights - pubs, restaurants, cinemas - are closed, so most people are staying at home., "self isolating".

So I bought the boat & now waiting patiently for lockdown to lift and for the boards to change too. This is where I'm looking right? http://riverconditions.environment-agency.gov.uk/#listC

I'm hoping to do this trip mid March from Uxbridge (where I'm getting a recon engine put in) to Saltford Marina where I got a mooring :)I realise I may have to wait it out for a while though. Is it mostly just the 5 mile tidal stretch that I need to worry about?

17 minutes ago, Jentreefication said:

So I bought the boat & now waiting patiently for lockdown to lift and for the boards to change too. This is where I'm looking right? http://riverconditions.environment-agency.gov.uk/#listC

I'm hoping to do this trip mid March from Uxbridge (where I'm getting a recon engine put in) to Saltford Marina where I got a mooring :)I realise I may have to wait it out for a while though. Is it mostly just the 5 mile tidal stretch that I need to worry about?

I did send email address, but no reply with survey, why does it need a new engine??

3 minutes ago, Jentreefication said:

The River Kennet is actually the most worrying part, it can be an evil little river..

The Brentford tidal and semi tidal bits of the Thames are actually very easy and very very pleasant, its just that because its tidal you have strict deadlines to meet so can't afford an engine failure (and if it all goes wrong you get swept away to France with a huge number of forms to fill in now we have left the EEC). 

Yes, keep a close eye on Thames conditions and stoppages (and CRT stuff about the Kennet) and it should be OK. We used to wait till April/May before doing the Kennet/Thames but March might be OK if climate change does not interfere.

A much bigger problem is that in March the pubs will likely still be shut. Brentford has gone a bit trendy so there is scope for some good drinking before hitting the tidal bit, but most important of all if you get through Woolhampton (K&A) unscathed a meal and several pints at the Rowbarge is a tradition.

..............Dave

• Greenie 1

Oh did you? I didn't see that. Sorry and thanks!! I went for new engine as I could buy one and get it installed for the same price as the estimated repairs so decided to go for it to minimise potential for major engine works. Made sense whilst I have a chunk of money at the beginning 

12 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I did send email address, but no reply with survey, why does it need a new engine??

Just checked and you didn't reply to my message asking for your email... Maybe it didn't send. Sorted now anyways but thanks 

I would allow 3 days for the Thames (after Teddington) and 3 days for the Kennet, though you might do it in two.

Reading, especially Fobney Lock, used to be a bad place on the Kennet  (the only bad place on the K&A) but less so these days.

We usually spend our last Thames day on the moorings just above Sonning Lock.

Next day make an early start (especially if your Thames Licence has just run out) and get up the Kennet through Reading as far as the Cunning Man (a mediocre pub but safely beyond Reading). If things are going well maybe go further. Woolhampton Lock can be a tricky lock so don't do it at the end of a tiring day.

Things get much much easier at Newbury, Newbury,  Hungerford and Bedwyn are all very nice towns/villages for an overnight stop.

The Waterfront at Pewsey and Barge at Honeystreet are both essential stops, but they are pubs and neither place is anything if its pub is closed.

................Dave

• Greenie 2

On 03/02/2021 at 11:18, Athy said:

That's correct, because most venues where people can go o Saturday nights - pubs, restaurants, cinemas - are closed, so most people are staying at home., "self isolating".

Staying at home in the evenings because the country is in lockdown and self-isolating are two different things.

People self isolate when they have symptoms, a positive test result, or if they have come into contact with others who've had symptoms or tested positive. It means not going out at all for 10 - 14 days. 

I'm amazed that people are still confused about this a year after it started.

Edited by blackrose

2 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Staying at home in the evenings because the country is in lockdown and self-isolating are two different things.

People self isolate when they have symptoms, a positive test result, or if they have come into contact with others who've had symptoms or tested positive.

I am self isolating, or shielding, which is much the same thing, because I don't want to die (yet). ?

25 minutes ago, dmr said:

I am self isolating, or shielding, which is much the same thing, because I don't want to die (yet). ?

Yes shielding is the other reason to self isolate, but again it's not what most people are doing when they're at home in the evenings due to lockdown.

7 hours ago, blackrose said:

People self isolate when they have symptoms, a positive test result, or if they have come into contact with others who've had symptoms or tested positive. It means not going out at all for 10 - 14 days. 

I'm amazed that people are still confused about this a year after it started.

It is surprising, yes, though perhaps you too are a little confused.

Having just competed a fortnight's self-isolation, I know exactly what it is. It is certainly not confined to people with symptoms of the bug, nor to people who have come into contact with those who are infected or who have tested positive.

3 hours ago, Athy said:

Having just competed a fortnight's self-isolation, I know exactly what it is. It is certainly not confined to people with symptoms of the bug, nor to people who have come into contact with those who are infected or who have tested positive.

Indeed, a couple of months ago Mrs Hound and I had to self isolate for 2 weeks prior to me having an operation and then again for 2 weeks after I was released from hospital.

• Greenie 1

On 07/02/2021 at 08:11, Athy said:

No I'm not confused. I never said self isolation was confined to those people and wasn't giving an exhaustive list. However it's certainly not what most people are doing at the moment as you said, so perhaps you were confused. 

Edited by blackrose

10 hours ago, blackrose said:

No I'm not confused. I never said self isolation was confined to those people and wasn't giving an exhaustive list. 

Actually, that came across as being precisely what you said.

However, for the avoidance of any argument, let us agree that I'm not confused and you aren't either.