Navigating London to Bristol (in lockdown!)

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

Looking at the helpful threads here, your ability to physically get the boat to its destination is more relevant than Covid restrictions.

The Thames and first part of the Kennet on flood or even yellow is dubious, and going out at Brentford upstream for Reading is hard .

Does it help to go the other way?  Move the boat out of its immediate area to somewhere canal based where you can leave it for 14 days. That buys you time from restrictions of both types. In 28/ 42 days after the end of feb I suspect movement will be allowed. After all once schools are opened movement becomes normal ( mummies taking children to school have to buy fuel coffee lottery tickets and ballet lessons so the normal roaring around restarts.)

It means you can do the trip mainly on the canals and downstream on the Thames.

I know it will take longer, but navigation issues rather than Covid restrictions are more of an issue at the moment.

Joke is if it was someone’s job to move the boat for you, it could be done legally I believe.

The issue with that is that I would need to leave it there whilst I am back in Bristol working and I wouldn't want to risk it. Also as I said I cant be paying boat loan and rent at the same time...

1 hour ago, Chris John said:

Yes she is. Then she wants to move it to the other side of the country.......umm during lockdown!  How sensible is that......well it’s not is it! 

Moving house in lockdown is legal - the OP's boat is her home and she needs it somewhere other than where it is - the move is therefore legal (and in this case essential), you're comments are getting in the way of a sensible discussion

16 hours ago, Jentreefication said:

This would be my preferred option but I am buying the boat at the end of February and cant leave it on its own in London until I'm able to come and make a leisurely journey to get it. I also cant afford to pay both rent and boat loan off so I'd have to buy end of February and get it to Bristol/Bath asap.

Buy the boat end of Feb, plan on leaving it in London for March, move it as soon as the navigations reopen.

I know you are nervous about leaving it alone, but many people leave boats unattended for months or even years - as long as it's insured comprehensively you don't need to panic.  During lockdown you don't need to move it every 14 days either.  If it needs one move during March, could/would the current owner move it for you if necessary?

I know you don't want to be paying for the boat and rent at the same time, but an extra month on your rent might be less than the cost of trucking the boat across the country.

If you want this particular boat in the next month, that seems the best way to go about it to me.

Oh, and continue ignoring the grumpies.  Buying a boat to live on and moving it to where you need it is allowed, it's just not possible until mid/late March because of winter maintenance.

• Love 1

32 minutes ago, Jentreefication said:

She does have an updated survey with correct info. I deleted the screenshot as I didn't request permission to share

Does the survey have a section on measured hull thickness (bottom and sides) and depth of pitting? and do the numbers look ok?  If you want to share them we can comment.

You could Google the surveyors name and confirm its a proper reputable person.

I am assuming you are buying this boat without your own survey so do check out as much as can.

.........Dave

1 hour ago, Jentreefication said:

... I deleted the screenshot as I didn't request permission to share [the survey]

and I didn't write down the Index Number from the survey while I had the chance.. _sigh_ Was it 47200, by any chance?

"

Stella Built by Cole Craft Eng. Ltd - Length : 10.97 metres ( 36 feet ) - Beam : 2.07 metres ( 6 feet 9 inches ) - Draft : 0.55 metres ( 1 foot 10 inches ). Metal hull N/A power of 27 HP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 47200 as a Powered Motor Boat.  ( Last updated on Wednesday 22nd May 2013 )

"

Listing from Canalplan's rather dated boatlisting extract from BW/C&RT There are a dozen Stellas but not too many by ColeCraft

2 minutes ago, PeterScott said:

and I didn't write down the Index Number from the survey while I had the chance.. _sigh_ Was it 47200, by any chance?

"

Stella Built by Cole Craft Eng. Ltd - Length : 10.97 metres ( 36 feet ) - Beam : 2.07 metres ( 6 feet 9 inches ) - Draft : 0.55 metres ( 1 foot 10 inches ). Metal hull N/A power of 27 HP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 47200 as a Powered Motor Boat.  ( Last updated on Wednesday 22nd May 2013 )

"

Listing from Canalplan's rather dated boatlisting extract from BW/C&RT There are a dozen Stellas but not too many by ColeCraft

image might still be stored in your browsers cache file if on a desktop, just skim through all the image files stored there

39 minutes ago, PeterScott said:

"

"

34 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

image might still be stored in your browsers cache file if on a desktop, just skim through all the image files stored there

Hhmm why do you need to know? I've removed it for a reason so would prefer you not to then try and dig it out, that's just being nosy and disrespectful

1 hour ago, dmr said:

Does the survey have a section on measured hull thickness (bottom and sides) and depth of pitting? and do the numbers look ok?  If you want to share them we can comment.

You could Google the surveyors name and confirm its a proper reputable person.

I am assuming you are buying this boat without your own survey so do check out as much as can.

.........Dave

No I will try and get a survey. Waiting for that info :)

20 minutes ago, Jentreefication said:

Hhmm why do you need to know? I've removed it for a reason so would prefer you not to then try and dig it out, that's just being nosy and disrespectful

If the survey did not measure hull thickness then its not really a survey, maybe a knowledgeable friend having a quick look and then writing a survey style report?. Many people request that the surveyor measures hull thickness and little else.

Its an oldish boat, you really do need to get the steel thickness checked. Trouble is this means getting the boat out of the water so lifting/drydock plus survey is going to cost about £1000.

You can take a risk and not get the boat without a survey, many people do, but they usually have a fair bit of boaty experience. I think you said that you were getting a loan to buy this boat so that makes its even more important to make sure that its sound. Losing money is bad but losing money that you don't actually own is worse ?.

We are currently trapped in the Frozen North but if this virus ever goes away we might see you on the K&A one day.

.................Dave

• Greenie 1

49 minutes ago, Jentreefication said:

erm, i don’t need to know, i cant dig it out as i never saw it in the first place, i thought i was offering a possible solution to data two of you seemed to want but had lost.

how is that “nosy and disrespectful” ??

enjoy the view from that conclusion you’ve jumped to ;) 

• Greenie 2
  • Horror 1

21 hours ago, Chris John said:

I think you may find the government call it lockdown. You are not supposed to leave home unless you can’t work from home, are exercising or need essential shopping, but you didn’t need me to tell you that now did you? How novels that! 

Oh so some people aren’t taking it seriously....so carry on. Maybe that’s why we’re in the mess we are because of advice like that! 

Strange how you are so forthright about it today, when just on Friday you were completely the opposite.....

Screenshot_20210131-180722_Chrome.jpg

Edited by matty40s
  • Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

erm, i don’t need to know, i cant dig it out as i never saw it in the first place, i thought i was offering a possible solution to data two of you seemed to want but had lost.

how is that “nosy and disrespectful” ??

enjoy the view from that conclusion you’ve jumped to ;) 

Sorry!! Misunderstanding there, my bad. I still have the info I just didn't ask my friend to share so don't want too put that out there without permission and thought you were trying to just find it for your own curiosity. Apologies for jumping to wrong conclusions eek ?

• Greenie 1

Just now, Jentreefication said:

Sorry!! Misunderstanding there, my bad. I still have the info I just didn't ask my friend to share so don't want too put that out there without permission and thought you were trying to just find it for your own curiosity. Apologies for jumping to wrong conclusions eek ?

no problem, like i said, never saw it

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Buy the boat end of Feb, plan on leaving it in London for March, move it as soon as the navigations reopen.

I know you are nervous about leaving it alone, but many people leave boats unattended for months or even years - as long as it's insured comprehensively you don't need to panic.  During lockdown you don't need to move it every 14 days either.  If it needs one move during March, could/would the current owner move it for you if necessary?

I know you don't want to be paying for the boat and rent at the same time, but an extra month on your rent might be less than the cost of trucking the boat across the country.

If you want this particular boat in the next month, that seems the best way to go about it to me.

Oh, and continue ignoring the grumpies.  Buying a boat to live on and moving it to where you need it is allowed, it's just not possible until mid/late March because of winter maintenance.

Thank you, yep good point. It might be more cost effective in the end. I'll have a think on that 

39 minutes ago, dmr said:

If the survey did not measure hull thickness then its not really a survey, maybe a knowledgeable friend having a quick look and then writing a survey style report?. Many people request that the surveyor measures hull thickness and little else.

I think this was all measured last year, I just haven't seen the survey yet but hopefully can check it out tomorrow 

1 hour ago, PeterScott said:

... Index Number from the survey ... Was it 47200, by any chance?

"

"

1 hour ago, Jentreefication said:

Hhmm why do you need to know? ...

3 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

I have some photos of that Stella and have Xmas-card-contact with an ex-owner (from around 2009) which might be interesting, and maybe even helpful.

So taking HuddsLad suggestion, there's just the twentythousand files in the browsercache, and after a bit of (electronic) searching, it is that index-number, (anything uploaded to t'internet can't ever be deleted, of course ? ) so here's one of those photos:

L1500_20090207_0212s.jpg.5febfe55d86a5784d5e6f756f915cce4.jpg

Braunston Marina in Feb 2009, where Stella had been moored for five ?? years, after which she was on the mainline offside outside the marina for a while.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

I've worked on that boat!!

Some more information about it.

1630.pdf 2.32 MB · 19 downloads

And I've steered it. Steerer's-eye view of overhanging branch clearance during the Braunston Historic Boat Gathering, 27 June 2009. @Tim Lewis will have a photo looking in the opposite direction!. PICT0695.JPG.821489db0fc2adfde30b2b5562f48dec.JPG

• Greenie 1

20 hours ago, matty40s said:

Strange how you are so forthright about it today, when just on Friday you were completely the opposite.....

Screenshot_20210131-180722_Chrome.jpg

Well done.......however this is not moving a boat from one side of the country to the other with very little experience........never mind keep trying to be clever ??

1 hour ago, Chris John said:

Well done.......however this is not moving a boat from one side of the country to the other with very little experience........never mind keep trying to be clever ??

That is entirely irrelevant; and he was not "trying to be clever", he was succeeding.

On 31/01/2021 at 20:24, matty40s said:

I've worked on that boat!!

Some more information about it.

1630.pdf 2.32 MB · 56 downloads

Hey Matty,

Would be great to know more. I've pm'ed :)

On 31/01/2021 at 20:15, PeterScott said:

I have some photos of that Stella and have Xmas-card-contact with an ex-owner (from around 2009) which might be interesting, and maybe even helpful.

So taking HuddsLad suggestion, there's just the twentythousand files in the browsercache, and after a bit of (electronic) searching, it is that index-number, (anything uploaded to t'internet can't ever be deleted, of course ? ) so here's one of those photos:

L1500_20090207_0212s.jpg.5febfe55d86a5784d5e6f756f915cce4.jpg

Braunston Marina in Feb 2009, where Stella had been moored for five ?? years, after which she was on the mainline offside outside the marina for a while.

Oooh yes thank you. Can you PM me?

20 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

Funny you should say that ?

433 Braunston Historic Boat Rally 27th June 2009.jpg

Nice harvest