Navigating London to Bristol (in lockdown!)

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Chris John said:

You do understand the term Lockdown I take it? 

Most people are still driving to work every day. Boating is restricted to essential journeys only but this could include going boating to buy food. If the OPs new boat is her home and she works in Bristol then she could make a reasonable essential journey argument. 

.........Dave

Just now, dmr said:

Most people are still driving to work every day. Boating is restricted to essential journeys only but this could include going boating to buy food. If the OPs new boat is her home and she works in Bristol then she could make a reasonable essential journey argument. 

.........Dave

What the I’m going to do it in chunks because of work bit......not really in the sprit of the lockdown is it? 

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, Chris John said:

What the I’m going to do it in chunks because of work bit......not really in the sprit of the lockdown is it? 

We aren't actually in a lockdown, just restricted movement. You seem to have missed most of the thread, might be worth reading how the discussion with the op has developed before just deciding to be  unpleasant. Sometimes people discuss stuff because they want to find things out, novel though you may find it.

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Chris John said:

I agree, its not, but then a lot of people are not taking this lockdown too seriously and moving a boat is not that bad.

We don't know the ops circumstance, if she just fancies living on a boat then its naughty, but if she is about to become homeless and need the boat then I would say its ok.

We are trying very hard to isolate ourselves in a quiet out of the way place, but CRT have still threatened us with a 6 month licence. A boater I know who is seriously at risk has been threatened with no licence at all due to not moving enough. He has taken a temporary mooring but it appears that still violates the terms of his CC licence.

These things are not black and white ?.

...........Dave

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

I think by the time you're allowed to do this sort of thing you'll have waited for at least couple of months and then you might as well take it by water. 

Ray Bowern will be the cheapest boat mover. He's a broker. I reckon it could still cost as much as £1.5k to move a small boat your size. Call him on Monday and see what he says about moving it by road at the moment. 07860 729522

Thanks, I'll try him on Mon for more info

I'm trying to figure out the least impactful way for me to move onto a boat that is in London to live on whilst still working as a key worker and being in lockdown in Bristol. There are many factors that I have to take into consideration so weighing up options and seeking advice. It's a mega headf**k and really confusing. Thank you for supportive comments and advice ?

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Rebotco said:

There is also a suitable crane at Hilperton (Nr Bradford on Avon)

See https://www.hilpertonmarina.com/services/

I forgot about that one, we've moored right next to it a couple of times to get a pumpout.

London to Bath is a lovely journey so if the boat is river-worthy and the OP can wait till spring then boating would be the way to do it.  Brentford to Teddington is the most risky bit (and the best) and that comes first so would need confidence in the boat, or to travel with another boat with a nice big engine.

...................Dave

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, dmr said:

I forgot about that one, we've moored right next to it a couple of times to get a pumpout.

London to Bath is a lovely journey so if the boat is river-worthy and the OP can wait till spring then boating would be the way to do it.  Brentford to Teddington is the most risky bit (and the best) and that comes first so would need confidence in the boat, or to travel with another boat with a nice big engine.

...................Dave

This would be my preferred option but I am buying the boat at the end of February and cant leave it on its own in London until I'm able to come and make a leisurely journey to get it. I also cant afford to pay both rent and boat loan off so I'd have to buy end of February and get it to Bristol/Bath asap.

5 minutes ago, Jentreefication said:

This would be my preferred option but I am buying the boat at the end of February and cant leave it on its own in London until I'm able to come and make a leisurely journey to get it. I also cant afford to pay both rent and boat loan off so I'd have to buy end of February and get it to Bristol/Bath asap.

Moving a boat by road always feels very wrong to me, you pay £2000 to move a boat by road whilst others pay £2000 to hire a boat for a week ?.

But, it sounds like you don't have many options. Can you delay the purchase till maybe mid-March? With a bit (lot) of luck the lockdown might have eased a little and the stoppages might just be over. There are various "boat movers", including a couple on the forum, who might move the boat for less than the cost of lorry/crane and you could either join them when you can or do some of the journey by yourself.

Are you Sure the boat is structurally sound?, there are many stories of London boats with lovely interiors but wafer then steel hulls.

................Dave

15 hours ago, dmr said:

But, it sounds like you don't have many options.

Yes this is the issue. I cant delay the purchase as otherwise the boat will be sitting on its own in London. I had hoped there could be some leeway re timing but that's not possible unfortunately.

This is what I know so far 

"37.6ft 1990 Colecraft boat, fitted out by Kate boats and a refurb and re-work in Summer 2020. Including fresh paint throughout, and fittings.
Surveyed June 2020 - sound hull, no overplating, all works that were required doing in the survey have been completed to a high standard including a new gas locker at the front, new stern drainage and fully clear channels, I have de-rusted and extensively cleaned, and painted the bilge and engine bay. The engine has had a full service with a new air filter, new fan belt and new exhaust pipe (June/July 2020)
Hull Blacked June 2020, BSS 2023
Three new batteries July 2020.
Brand new solar power system installed July 2020 - 2 x 360 watt latest tech panels, Victron 1200 multiplus inverter, app based readings. 3 new batteries (July 2020).
Water is heated by a calorifier.
Engine is a Mitsubishi K4D engine, as mentioned it had a full service and works well on a daily basis. I run my engine for 1-2 hours daily and it is fine. However there is work that will be need to be done to the engine at some point, and I have accorded for this in the price."

It is a friend of mine that is selling
15 hours ago, Jentreefication said:

Yes this is the issue. I cant delay the purchase as otherwise the boat will be sitting on its own in London. I had hoped there could be some leeway re timing but that's not possible unfortunately.

"37.6ft 1990 Colecraft boat, fitted out by Kate boats and a refurb and re-work in Summer 2020. Including fresh paint throughout, and fittings.
Surveyed June 2020 - sound hull, no overplating, all works that were required doing in the survey have been completed to a high standard including a new gas locker at the front, new stern drainage and fully clear channels, I have de-rusted and extensively cleaned, and painted the bilge and engine bay. The engine has had a full service with a new air filter, new fan belt and new exhaust pipe (June/July 2020)
Brand new solar power system installed July 2020 - 2 x 360 watt latest tech panels, Victron 1200 multiplus inverter, app based readings. 3 new batteries (July 2020).
Engine is a Mitsubishi K4D engine, as mentioned it had a full service and works well on a daily basis. I run my engine for 1-2 hours daily and it is fine. However there is work that will be need to be done to the engine at some point, and I have accorded for this in the price."

Edited by Athy
At poster's request.

57 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

We aren't actually in a lockdown, just restricted movement. You seem to have missed most of the thread, might be worth reading how the discussion with the op has developed before just deciding to be  unpleasant. Sometimes people discuss stuff because they want to find things out, novel though you may find it.

I think you may find the government call it lockdown. You are not supposed to leave home unless you can’t work from home, are exercising or need essential shopping, but you didn’t need me to tell you that now did you? How novels that! 

55 minutes ago, dmr said:

I agree, its not, but then a lot of people are not taking this lockdown too seriously and moving a boat is not that bad.

We don't know the ops circumstance, if she just fancies living on a boat then its naughty, but if she is about to become homeless and need the boat then I would say its ok.

We are trying very hard to isolate ourselves in a quiet out of the way place, but CRT have still threatened us with a 6 month licence. A boater I know who is seriously at risk has been threatened with no licence at all due to not moving enough. He has taken a temporary mooring but it appears that still violates the terms of his CC licence.

These things are not black and white ?.

...........Dave

Oh so some people aren’t taking it seriously....so carry on. Maybe that’s why we’re in the mess we are because of advice like that! 

• Greenie 1

Aw you're so helpful. Thank you ?

3 minutes ago, Chris John said:

I think you may find the government call it lockdown. You are not supposed to leave home unless you can’t work from home, are exercising or need essential shopping, but you didn’t need me to tell you that now did you? How novels that! 

Oh so some people aren’t taking it seriously....so carry on. Maybe that’s why we’re in the mess we are because of advice like that! 

Aw you're so helpful. Thank you ?

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Chris John said:

11 minutes ago, Jentreefication said:

144494845_2915296155462473_5570560934900529297_n.jpg

144829497_460201524987538_7893304744140910155_n.jpg

1990 means the boat is now 30 so its getting on a bit. Colecraft make good boats but the baseplate is only 8mm whilst 10 is now standard (but many were only 6). The stitch welding below the rubbing strakes is a big potential for serious rust, all recent boats are continuously welded. The report suggests it has already failed in one location.

Why was the boat surveyed in 2020 and was this a genuine and impartial survey?  My guess is it was to get insurance, was it done by a sympathetic friend of a friend?  Ideally you should get your own survey but that costs and is not always easy to do with lockdown and stoppages.

Batteries and inverters etc etc are not that important, a few hundred £ will always sort them out. The engine is important but the condition of the steelwork is what really matters. Can you say how much you are paying? and will you have a hefty bit leftover just in case you need some big welding????

Have you had a good look at adverts to see what a comparable boat sells for? I assume your friends are giving you an honest price but because they live in London they might themselves have an "optimistic" view of what boats are worth.

...............Dave

1 hour ago, Jentreefication said:
Engine is a Mitsubishi K4D engine

So why does the survey say it is a Perkins?

1 hour ago, dmr said:

The stitch welding below the rubbing strakes is a big potential for serious rust, all recent boats are continuously welded.

And almost all working boats were stitch riveted.

4 minutes ago, David Mack said:

So why does the survey say it is a Perkins?

And almost all working boats were stitch riveted.

Is there any such thing as continuous rivting :clapping:

Boats like yours are made from a steel that is much closer to iron? and much less prone to corrosion.

So, as this is a discussion forum an interesting topic would be "why are we now building boats out of a metal that appears inferior to what was used 100 years ago"

.................Dave

20 minutes ago, LadyG said:

You just sit on here and snipe at people I take it?

If you bothered to read the OPs posts you would see she is trying to buy a boat to live on rather than live in rented accomodation. 

Unhelpful and misleading statements are only going to confuse anyone who is already under stress, particularly if making a major life decision.

Unfortunately this is the way a lot of newbies are treated on here. 

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

Looking at the helpful threads here, your ability to physically get the boat to its destination is more relevant than Covid restrictions.

The Thames and first part of the Kennet on flood or even yellow is dubious, and going out at Brentford upstream for Reading is hard .

Does it help to go the other way?  Move the boat out of its immediate area to somewhere canal based where you can leave it for 14 days. That buys you time from restrictions of both types. In 28/ 42 days after the end of feb I suspect movement will be allowed. After all once schools are opened movement becomes normal ( mummies taking children to school have to buy fuel coffee lottery tickets and ballet lessons so the normal roaring around restarts.)

It means you can do the trip mainly on the canals and downstream on the Thames.

I know it will take longer, but navigation issues rather than Covid restrictions are more of an issue at the moment.

Joke is if it was someone’s job to move the boat for you, it could be done legally I believe.

• Greenie 1

13 hours ago, dmr said:

Foxes hire base right at the bottom of Devizes (Caan Hill) locks.

Yes, there is a slipway at Foxhangers, just below Caen Hill locks - at least, there was in 2001 when our last boat was launched there.

13 hours ago, Chris John said:

You do understand the term Lockdown I take it? 

Ah, but that doesn't apply to Me

or Me

or Me.

That's one of the reasons why the virus is spreading and spreading more effectively in Urban areas - where the Mes  are closer together...

• Greenie 3

5 hours ago, LadyG said:

If you bothered to read the OPs posts you would see she is trying to buy a boat to live on rather than live in rented accomodation. 

Unhelpful and misleading statements are only going to confuse anyone who is already under stress, particularly if making a major life decision.

Unfortunately this is the way a lot of newbies are treated on here. 

Yes she is. Then she wants to move it to the other side of the country.......umm during lockdown!  How sensible is that......well it’s not is it! 

25 minutes ago, Chris John said:

Yes she is. Then she wants to move it to the other side of the country.......umm during lockdown!  How sensible is that......well it’s not is it! 

Would you like to have a direct conversation with me about my situation and why I'm needing to figure this out? Would it make you feel better to understand and perhaps you can relax a bit? I can give you some attention if that's what you need. 

• Greenie 3

3 minutes ago, Jentreefication said:

Would you like to have a direct conversation with me about my situation and why I'm needing to figure this out? Would it make you feel better to understand and perhaps you can relax a bit? I can give you some attention if that's what you need. 

No not at all......you keep doing what YOU think is right, I’ll keep commenting on the fact we are in Lockdown during a pandemic ? 

14 hours ago, dmr said:

1990 means the boat is now 30 so its getting on a bit. Colecraft make good boats but the baseplate is only 8mm whilst 10 is now standard (but many were only 6). The stitch welding below the rubbing strakes is a big potential for serious rust, all recent boats are continuously welded. The report suggests it has already failed in one location.

Why was the boat surveyed in 2020 and was this a genuine and impartial survey?  My guess is it was to get insurance, was it done by a sympathetic friend of a friend?  Ideally you should get your own survey but that costs and is not always easy to do with lockdown and stoppages.

Batteries and inverters etc etc are not that important, a few hundred £ will always sort them out. The engine is important but the condition of the steelwork is what really matters. Can you say how much you are paying? and will you have a hefty bit leftover just in case you need some big welding????

Have you had a good look at adverts to see what a comparable boat sells for? I assume your friends are giving you an honest price but because they live in London they might themselves have an "optimistic" view of what boats are worth.

...............Dave

Thank you Dave.

The survey was done by an independent professional before she bought it last year. A lot of the work has been done by a boat yard and by my friend. I'm just waiting for that paperwork to be sent. She has extensively derusted it but yes would be something to keep a close eye on and stay on top of. 

5 minutes ago, Chris John said:

No not at all......you keep doing what YOU think is right, I’ll keep commenting on the fact we are in Lockdown during a pandemic ? 

Very kind of you to point out the obvious, I'm so glad that you've reminded me. You must be very proud of your service. I'm a front line worker but your role is much more useful to keep us safe

• Greenie 1