Cutting discs for aluminium

Featured Posts

I have not cut ali with a disc, but have done quite a bit of grinding/shaping. The problem is that the ali melts and clogs the disc. You could try water cooling but I suspect that could be messy and even dangerours with electricity. Just going very slowly is probably the answer.

...............Dave

An ordinary jigsaw works quite well, provided you invest in the right blades.  For really thin work you may also need a bit of sacrificial ply to back up the metal. If you need a supplier Saxton Blades are usually good, and quick service 

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

Is there any danger of an ordinary metal cutting disc shattering if used for cutting aluminium?

If you mean an ordinary steel or stainless cutting disk, no, unless you are really ham fisted in which case it would have shattered in steel too.  Wear rate will be higher, because the bond of steel cutting discs is softer than for stone cutting discs so the abrasive grains are both pulled out more easily and more readily grabbed by the softer aluminium.

N

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, blackrose said:

Is there any danger of an ordinary metal cutting disc shattering if used for cutting aluminium?

Yes....

I was trained by a cutting disc company...and a standard disc can heat...clog and shatter.

They showed me some film of it...and its not pretty.

The fragments easily penetrate a protective mask.......right down your forehead.

There are special thin....aluminium discs available (type it in Ebay)

You can also use an ordinary fine toothed.....carbide tipped wood/hand saw if the ally isn't too thick...you need to clamp it well..

I ended up just using an ordinary 3mm metal cutting disc today - I didn't fancy using a 1mm slitting disc in case it shattered.

The 3mm disc was fine, you just take it slowly. Not quite as neat as cutting steel, with a thin slitting disc, but fine for what I wanted.

6 hours ago, Ray T said:

When I made some ally door panels for my track day toy I didn't even try a cutting disc, I used a power fretsaw then filed the edge

Looks like a nice job. I was cutting 5mm ally and I think a disc is probably quicker.

Aluminium is soft, and cuts readily with a hand saw. A few years ago one of the Men's Shed members was trying to cut a 1/8" thick 6ft  sheet of aluminium into two pieces, and was making a right pigs ear of the job. I suggested a hand saw but he was unwilling to try it, so I volunteedred to do the job. I chose a fairly fine hard point panel saw and cut the panel as if it were a sheet of plywood,. The job took no more than acouple of minutes , and there was virtually no swarf edge left to tidy up.

2 hours ago, Bobbybass said:

You can also use an ordinary fine toothed.....carbide tipped wood/hand saw if the ally isn't too thick...you need to clamp it well..

You beat me to it!

Edited by David Schweizer

We use a jig saw and wd40 sprayed on the blade as you cut the aluminium 

You can buy disks for cutting aluminium that fit mini grinders  you should not use steel cutting disc’s the aluminium clogs the discs 

the same as you would never grind brass /copper etc

Graham

On 29/01/2021 at 18:46, jonathanA said:

I'd have just used a jigsaw with fine tooth metal cutting blade 

I've used a jigsaw before but I find it quicker and easier with an angle grinder.

3 hours ago, jacko264 said:

We use a jig saw and wd40 sprayed on the blade as you cut the aluminium 

You can buy disks for cutting aluminium that fit mini grinders  you should not use steel cutting disc’s the aluminium clogs the discs 

the same as you would never grind brass /copper etc

Graham

I didn't have any problems using an ordinary steel cutting discs

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

I've used a jigsaw before but I find it quicker and easier with an angle grinder.

I didn't have any problems using an ordinary steel cutting discs

I've been talking about this to some workmates, looks like everybody who has been on an angle grinder course has seen that photo of a broken disc that went right through a face shield and embedded in the blokes forehead. Did this even really happen? I have shattered a couple of cutting discs, it was a big anti-climax, maybe I was lucky.

...............Dave