Jump to content

Stoppage by Anderton boat Lift?


Norm55

Featured Posts

50 minutes ago, agew said:

On topic, the Soot Hill landslip....

 

Hilariously I've asked CRT what is going on, and whether the third party landowner (or insurers) has been notified of all the costs being incurred / lost by boat owners......

 

Looking seriously at Plan B road transport....ho hum..... I can send them the bill for the sake of a stamp/email......  ?

Can't you go via the Ashton/Peak Forest/Macclesfield instead?

 

MP.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, BEngo said:

When Lock 12 on the Aylesbury Arm collapsed BW arranged and paid for  three separate  lifts for the boats trapped below the collapse. Tuckeys transported them between Aylesbury and Willowbridge in MK.

 

N

 

 

 

That is a little bit different.  No one is actually trapped by this landslip, certainly inconvenienced, but you can go another way.

 

That all said I can not see why enough debris can not be cleared to allow one way working on the towpath side, how hard can it be to do that?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, BEngo said:

When Lock 12 on the Aylesbury Arm collapsed BW arranged and paid for  three separate  lifts for the boats trapped below the collapse. Tuckeys transported them between Aylesbury and Willowbridge in MK.

 

N

 

 

 

Was that not a wee bit different in that the boats stuck down the arm couldn't go anywhere? With the landslip at Anderton, there are still plenty of cruising routes available. 

 

haggis

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, john6767 said:

That is a little bit different.  No one is actually trapped by this landslip, certainly inconvenienced, but you can go another way.

 

That all said I can not see why enough debris can not be cleared to allow one way working on the towpath side, how hard can it be to do that?

I saw a rumour (on here or on facebook?) that this was being considered, to permit occasional supervised passage, but needs the stability of the remaining bank to be look at properly first I'd imagine?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

I saw a rumour (on here or on facebook?) that this was being considered, to permit occasional supervised passage, but needs the stability of the remaining bank to be look at properly first I'd imagine?

I hope so.  If the release plan goes OK and we are allowed, we were thinking of going to Llangollen, and then to Liverpool.  But I think I am right that there is a stoppage on the Shroppie as well, and with this one it would get a bit contorted, lots of up and down the T&M, and probably 100 locks more than we need to do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 08/03/2021 at 14:43, MoominPapa said:

Can't you go via the Ashton/Peak Forest/Macclesfield instead?

 

MP.

Could do, a lot further and much longer, and we need her South pretty soonish....

 

And do chill folks, wow no- one died, and do recognise tongue in cheek humour (or any sort of humour...?)....

 

Yes, truck and crane is proving to be even more expensive than I thought, and perhaps twice the cost of motoring down the cut.  Yes I kind of would expect CRT and the landowner responsible to have some awareness, sense of some urgency, but I’m not losing sleep over it.

 

Peace love and harmony to all.......?

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 08/03/2021 at 20:18, john6767 said:

I hope so.  If the release plan goes OK and we are allowed, we were thinking of going to Llangollen, and then to Liverpool.  But I think I am right that there is a stoppage on the Shroppie as well, and with this one it would get a bit contorted, lots of up and down the T&M, and probably 100 locks more than we need to do.

The route you would take, T & M to Middlewich, Middlewich branch To Hurleston, would not be affected by any stoppages on the Shroppie. The current stoppages are Bridge 80 near Audlem which should be completed by Easter and the other major stoppage is between Whartons Lock and Beeston Lock which is expected to be in place until Summer. Neither would affect your proposed trip.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, jam said:

The route you would take, T & M to Middlewich, Middlewich branch To Hurleston, would not be affected by any stoppages on the Shroppie. The current stoppages are Bridge 80 near Audlem which should be completed by Easter and the other major stoppage is between Whartons Lock and Beeston Lock which is expected to be in place until Summer. Neither would affect your proposed trip.

Yes I know that, although the Shroppie stoppage it slated to be done by Easter.  My preference would be up the Shroppie , Llan, accross to T&M and then up the Liverpool.  With th3 stoppage t Anderton, will have to come down the T&M, then Mac to get to Manchester.  That is a ton of additional locks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

This an update issued by CRT today. I wonder whether any locals have more of an insight on when passage may be possible. 

 

06/04/2021 16:29

Starting tomorrow, our contractors will be onsite between Bridge 200, Soot Hill and Bridge 201 on the Trent & Mersey Canal to undertake works that will help us to explore ways in which we can safely allow boat movement through the affected area without destabilising the embankment, slipped material within the canal or the above gas main.

A further update will be provided by Tuesday 20 April.

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Derek Porteous said:

This an update issued by CRT today. I wonder whether any locals have more of an insight on when passage may be possible. 

 

06/04/2021 16:29

Starting tomorrow, our contractors will be onsite between Bridge 200, Soot Hill and Bridge 201 on the Trent & Mersey Canal to undertake works that will help us to explore ways in which we can safely allow boat movement through the affected area without destabilising the embankment, slipped material within the canal or the above gas main.

A further update will be provided by Tuesday 20 April.

I seems positive to me, at least they are trying to workout if it is going to be possible, which hopefully it will.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, John Wareing said:

Just had an update on this. They are now saying that they hope to have a one way working system in place early next week (w/c 19/4/21). Another update is promised on Friday.

Which way will they be going, towards the Bridgewater or back to Middlewich?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, John Wareing said:

Just had an update on this. They are now saying that they hope to have a one way working system in place early next week (w/c 19/4/21). Another update is promised on Friday.

Saw that so that one hopefully is positive, and it will be able to stay open all summer..  Now just need them to fix the Llangollen  and I think we are good to go with our plans.  Well assuming the Avon opens in the next month, and the Middlewich branch is only a short stoppage, and nothing else breaks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

Update on 14/04/2021:

 

Our contractors have been working carefully on site to clear a navigable channel between Bridge 200, Soot Hill and Bridge 201 on the Trent & Mersey Canal and yesterday they removed a significant obstruction to successfully clear a channel. Whilst there is still a considerable amount of work required to install protection to the landslip to prevent further erosion and another closure, we are aiming to test and confirm our operational arrangements for managing a single file, restricted passage through the affected area by the end of this week.

Dependant on the progress of the erosion protection works and if the operational trials are successful we aim to re-open the navigation early in the week commencing Monday 19 April.

We will need our customers patience and support to adhere to some strict navigation requirements such as speed limits past the affected area and we will confirm these with the next update which will be provided on Friday 16 April.

We appreciate the lack of certainty will be frustrating for our customers but adopting this careful approach is to ensure we are providing a safe passage for our customers and once we get the navigation open, to keep it open throughout the summer.

 

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Update on 16/04/2021:

Works to clear a navigable channel between Bridge 200, Soot Hill and Bridge 201 on the Trent & Mersey Canal are not yet complete, however testing of a restricted passage through the affected area has proven successful and we are now able to provide some details into the passage requirements.

From 10am, Wednesday 21 April, our teams will be onsite daily to ensure a safe and controlled one-way passage.

Customers must slow down to a maximum speed of 2mph or tick-over if possible, remain in single file through the restricted channel, with only 1 boat allowed to pass through at any one time. Please note, priority will be given to boats heading from the tunnels to Anderton.

All customers must adhere to the safety instructions given by the team and signage onsite.

Please note, visitor moorings either side of the affected area have been suspended to allow boats to moor whilst waiting for passage. This will be signposted onsite.

Whilst works are still ongoing to prepare the site for restricted passage ready for Wednesday, boats must not go through unaided as this may cause further erosion and delay the reopening.

This is to maintain the safety of all our customers and to protect the landslip from any deterioration.

This restricted passage will remain under review and should any changes need to be made, we will endeavour to provide as much notice as possible.

 

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/19054-bridge-200-soot-hill-anderton-trent-and-mersey-canal

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, John Wareing said:

There's a vital piece of information missing on that. It says that you can't go through unaided, presumably by one of the team. But there is no indication as to what times the team will be on duty.

From 10am, presumably working hours. I liked the bit about only one boat going through at a time, but it must be in single file.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.