Stoppage by Anderton boat Lift?

Norm55

Featured Posts

32 minutes ago, Norm55 said:

Friend of mine moving his boat to enable medical treatment has reported stoppage at Anderton. Nothing on CRT site. Anyone know where to get further news?   

Is it this one https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/19054-bridge-200-soot-hill-anderton-trent-and-mersey-canal

Bridge 200, Soot Hill, Anderton, Trent & Mersey Canal

Detail

From Date: 21/01/2021 10:00

To Date: On-going

Type: Navigation Closure

Reason: Structure failure

2 hours ago, Norm55 said:

Friend of mine moving his boat to enable medical treatment has reported stoppage at Anderton. Nothing on CRT site. Anyone know where to get further news?   

Yes, sorry but it's all on CRTs website.

As reported the T&M is closed just the top side of the Boat Lift because of a landslide, and the Lift is closed because the pump room was flooded by Storm  Christof or whatever his name was, not that it hasn't happened before I'm told.

So  the pumps have been taken out and sent away to be sorted and the Lift is closed till they are.

Shambles.

Have recently bought a boat from Nantwhich,  have secured a mooring at Overwater, but of course cant get there due to culvert collapse and can't go North due to works at Beeston. 

Global warming or poor maintenace by CRT

There was a similar serious landslip near there, years ago. It was on the Anderton side of Barnton road bridge. At the time there was a danger of a number of buses falling into the canal from the parking area above. You can still see where a new narrowed channel was constructed at great expense. There was a long legal argument about who was responsible and the repair works took months (years?) to do. Clearly the cost of  repair lies with the land owner, but C&RT will have to sort it out.

A lot of years ago, a house fell into the Ashton Canal, shortly after   the canal had been dredged next to the property, in that case the canal authority (London & North Eastern Railway) were held responsible.

2 minutes ago, billh said:

A lot of years ago, a house fell into the Ashton Canal, shortly after   the canal had been dredged next to the property, in that case the canal authority (London & North Eastern Railway) were held responsible.

I should add that the street the deceased house was at the end of was and is KELVIN street?

I walked passed the landslip on Monday and it’s a fairly significant one. The footpath at the top of the bank looks a bit precarious and I think there’s a gas main close so i doubt its  going be a quick fix. CRT have cleared a channel to allow water flow. 

31D1C89A-3D1B-4299-B01B-314AA8E69F51.jpeg

C06845B0-28BF-4866-9B6E-BBE88E039076.jpeg

• Greenie 1

I organised a 3rd party job there, tree on top on the high pressure gas main needed to be felled, LV line outage and temp traffic lights to replace those off because of the LV outage, nightmare job.

Anyway I do remember the land ownership was complicated a mix of Council/parish Council and a chap who lived miles away and had no idea what to do with it

• 2 weeks later...

Well I’ve just received a stoppage update and it’s not looking like a quick fix.

CRT have installed a pipe against the towpath  to maintain water levels but aren’t able to remove material blocking the navigation as it risks destabilising the cutting further. 
And quoting from the email ‘ any further works onsite are subject to third party assistance’

It sounds like the embankment will need to be shored up before removing the blockage. I’m no civil engineer but it looks like a sizeable task.

Currently my boat is at Nantwich booked into Overwater but cant get there till Easter. Cant go North as works at Beeston locks and wont get far on Barbridge link as have works ongoing on a bridge near Middlewhich.     It appears i have bought a very expensive static caravan.....

I've got to get my new (to me anyway) boat home to Leeds from Cheshire as soon as lockdown eases. After dallying over the route home for a while, I finally plumped for a route and it goes right through there. Typical. 

The "third party" bit does indeed suggest a long process. If anymore goes down, a couple of houses could end up in the cut so maybe things will have some sense of urgency.

• 3 weeks later...

Rumours circulating, following CRTs update today, that this won't be open until at least mid summer, although there was also mention of organising some one way controlled passages before then. :( Bosley and Marple will be busy when lock down ends!

8 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

Rumours circulating, following CRTs update today, that this won't be open until at least mid summer, although there was also mention of organising some one way controlled passages before then. :( Bosley and Marple will be busy when lock down ends!

They might be for a couple of weeks... till the water runs out...

• Haha 1

Article in Northwich Guardian posted in my Google feed today,  suggests it will be 18 months before works start, after summer 2022 all being well. Posted twice in case link thing doesn't work. 

https://www.northwichguardian.co.uk/news/19119522.major-refurbishment-project-cards-anderton-boat-lift/

https://www.northwichguardian.co.uk/news/19119522.major-refurbishment-project-cards-anderton-boat-lift/