Jp3 air filter

sparrowcycles

Featured Posts

Sorry to ask another question of you all, folks! 

This one is a really boring one too.. 

Does anyone know the name of the type of air filter normally fitted to JP engines? Prince's is a sealed canister type and has very much passed its prime. 

I had a stuck valve (carbon deposit on the inlet valve) the other day so have stripped and decoked all the heads and manifolds as well as lapping the valves but I cannot find the air filter online anywhere because, in this modern world, its all about knowing your search terminology :)

If someone could please tell me the type I'd be grateful! 

15 minutes ago, sparrowcycles said:

Sorry to ask another question of you all, folks! 

This one is a really boring one too.. 

Does anyone know the name of the type of air filter normally fitted to JP engines? Prince's is a sealed canister type and has very much passed its prime. 

I had a stuck valve (carbon deposit on the inlet valve) the other day so have stripped and decoked all the heads and manifolds as well as lapping the valves but I cannot find the air filter online anywhere because, in this modern world, its all about knowing your search terminology :)

If someone could please tell me the type I'd be grateful! 

How about some photos? Its difficult without?

Just now, David Mack said:

Just looks like a bog standard aftermarket air filter that MPS fit to their conversions and rebuilds:

lister_jp2_engine_007.jpg

Yes that is the type! But for the life of me I can't find them for sale online. If I knew the name to search for... 

Can't even find them on mps site and couldn't get through on the phone. 

12 minutes ago, sparrowcycles said:

Yes that is the type! But for the life of me I can't find them for sale online. If I knew the name to search for... 

Can't even find them on mps site and couldn't get through on the phone. 

Theres nothing actually inside the canister as far as Im aware...its just screwed onto the manifold.... @steamraiser2 is MPS so they might have a supply if yours is really poorly

31 minutes ago, frangar said:

Theres nothing actually inside the canister as far as Im aware...its just screwed onto the manifold.... @steamraiser2 is MPS so they might have a supply if yours is really poorly

Yes, but in this case there is quite a bit of gunky particle-y stuff in there and I'm pretty certain it was a bit of that which held the valve open so I'm not going to put it back on.. 

Slightly worried about sucking a leaf/ small child or my cat up that pipe though.. 

11 minutes ago, sparrowcycles said:

Yes, but in this case there is quite a bit of gunky particle-y stuff in there and I'm pretty certain it was a bit of that which held the valve open so I'm not going to put it back on.. 

Slightly worried about sucking a leaf/ small child or my cat up that pipe though.. 

Take the manifold off and leave it in some parts cleaner or similar overnight then swill it out and dry. 

We have had a few new ones mostly ex MOD ones. Some, made as air cleaners, had some fine mesh inside. The empty ones were exhausts. As an air cleaner they are pretty useless. If you have room, fitting a 90 degree elbow and and AC Delco type oil bath filter is both functional and technically accurate being a factory option anyway. Not that oil baths in good order are that easy to find these days either.

26 minutes ago, frangar said:

Take the manifold off and leave it in some parts cleaner or similar overnight then swill it out and dry. 

Yes, I've done that to the manifold but the air filter itself is sealed and I can see the same gunk in there but can't clean it out. I could cut it open and weld back together but I'd rather not. 

1 minute ago, steamraiser2 said:

We have had a few new ones mostly ex MOD ones. Some, made as air cleaners, had some fine mesh inside. The empty ones were exhausts. As an air cleaner they are pretty useless. If you have room, fitting a 90 degree elbow and and AC Delco type oil bath filter is both functional and technically accurate being a factory option anyway. Not that oil baths in good order are that easy to find these days either.

OK that makes sense, I've seen some exhausts with the same thread but didn't want to get the wrong one. 

I'll look into oil Bath filters. 

Thanks! 

1 minute ago, steamraiser2 said:

So should they unscrew from the manifold to get to the mesh?  I’ve no reason to think mines an exhaust but there’s no mesh inside. Is there much to be gained from a filter?