non bio wash

dreadnought

Featured Posts

hi guys l,hope everyone is safe and well,we are hoping to get away for a few months later in the year and are sorting a few things now,on board we have a little twin tub washing machine and are looking for a low temperature wash powder to use,is there any recommendations out there,many thanks in advance

Fairy non bio pods is what we use at home and on the boat. I have had an allergic reaction to bio. Never use powder as it can build up deposits especially in washer dryers, always use a liquid.

Only place we use bio is instead of blue in the Thetford.

57 minutes ago, wandering snail said:

You just get cleaner germs with a cool wash, said a scientist on the radio.

You never kill all the germs with a super hot wash. It just mean that the survivors are the toughest, meanest and nastiest ones, who are now sworn to revenge themselves on you for slaughtering their families and friends.

Just thought you should all know that...

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

On 27/01/2021 at 12:06, LadyG said:

Ecover, is the brand to use if you are green.

But a hot wash is best. Heat kills germs and washes better. 

When we had our first shareboat one of the other shareholders was an industrial chemist.

He reckoned that it was the itratrs and phosphates that were the problem and commercial washing up liquid and washing powders were free from these anyway. Hence Ecover was marketing rubbish, claiming to be nitrate and phosphate free.

Phosphates do appear in dishwasher tablets though.

• Greenie 2

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/19048287.morrisons-tesco-boots-issue-urgent-safety-warning-product/

A laundry product is being recalled from UK stores including Tesco, Morrisons, Waitrose and Boots, over health and safety concerns.

1.5 liters bottles of Laundry Liquid are being recalled amid reports it contains a “dangerous” chemical that could cause skin burns.

Some bottles of Ecover 1.5 litre zero non-bio laundry liquid may contain a dangerous level of potassium hydroxide with Tesco and Boots among the UK retailers who sell it.

"The affected bottles contain potassium hydroxide at hazardous levels that can cause the bottle to leak,” the statement reads.

“Contact with the liquid could result in harm to skin and eyes, including causing skin burns or eye damage.

“We are taking this risk very seriously, and are recalling affected bottles from retailers and consumers immediately.”

Not for me thank you

Edited by Loddon

3 hours ago, cuthound said:

When we had our first shareboat one of the other shareholders was an industrial chemist.

He reckoned that it was the itratrs and phosphates that were the problem and commercial washing up liquid and washing powders were free from these anyway. Hence Ecover was marketing rubbish, claiming to be nitrate and phosphate free.

Phosphates do appear in dishwasher tablets though.

But it says Eco on the label. I had the same conversation from someone from the Blue green imitative saying that Broads hire boats supplied Eco washing liquids but couldn't answer if they were any better than major brands because they hadn't actually investigated it, again going by the sales hype 

But a hot wash is best. Heat kills germs and washes better. 

Ecover is not what is once was, since being absorbed, it has become little more than a well marketed brand for a bigger commercial company.

My domestic crew assure me that the stuff to buy these days is Surcare Liquid.

The good news is that for anyone suffering with skin allergies etc. it is probably the safest available.

10 hours ago, NB Alnwick said:

Ecover is not what is once was, since being absorbed, it has become little more than a well marketed brand for a bigger commercial company.

My domestic crew assure me that the stuff to buy these days is Surcare Liquid.

The good news is that for anyone suffering with skin allergies etc. it is probably the safest available.

I'll try that, though I tend to go for what's on offer but rinse thoroughly with a sanitising rinse.

I did notice my Ecover wash up liquid is not as efficient as it was, I mostly use Fairy with anti bacterial.

On 29/01/2021 at 15:40, Loddon said:

A laundry product is being recalled from UK stores including Tesco, Morrisons, Waitrose and Boots, over health and safety concerns.

1.5 liters bottles of Laundry Liquid are being recalled amid reports it contains a “dangerous” chemical that could cause skin burns.

Some bottles of Ecover 1.5 litre zero non-bio laundry liquid may contain a dangerous level of potassium hydroxide with Tesco and Boots among the UK retailers who sell it.

"The affected bottles contain potassium hydroxide at hazardous levels that can cause the bottle to leak,” the statement reads.

“Contact with the liquid could result in harm to skin and eyes, including causing skin burns or eye damage.

“We are taking this risk very seriously, and are recalling affected bottles from retailers and consumers immediately.”

The original Ecover formulation used saponified dolphin blubber as an eco-friendly renewable ingredient. That is why it used to have pictures of dolphins on the label. Changed after the animal lovers kicked up a fuss. This is the result. ??

On 30/01/2021 at 07:37, LadyG said:
On 29/01/2021 at 19:08, Nightwatch said:

Don’t we need germs in our systems?

Only the good ones, not the kind that give yoU BO

Typical human centric bias on CWDF. No one sees it from the germs point of view. Good and bad germs are only our morally relative interpretation on a rich  and diverse petri dish culture. "Bad" germs have rights too, except for Covid-19 of course. Anyway, BO helps with (anti)social distancing. ?

• Haha 1