BMC 4 cyl diesel model unknown

Frank30

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, David Mack said:

The ones on mine weren't. The old one I took out and the replacement sourced from the local Unipart dealer were like this:

bmc-aec876.jpg

https://www.asap-supplies.com/products/engine-core-plug-for-bmc-leyland-engines-34mm-od-bmc-aec876

Beg pardon, yes, those are and zinc plated.

Further thoughts about the burned exhaust.

If it was run long enough to do that it is very likely the inner skin of the exhaust hose will have overheated or even started burning. In itself this is not a problem but if the inner skin burned through it can de-laminate and drop down into the exhaust stream.  if it does that it tends to pass exhaust gas at low seed but as you speed up the gas flow pushes it down and partially blocks the exhaust. this causes excess back pressure that pushes the Jabsco wings down and stops it pumping so the engine overheats. So if the exhaust starts hissing and producing a spray of water rather than a flow and its overheating consider a problem with the exhaust hose.

Thanks for thoughts on cooling fault options - useful stuff. Unexpectedly yesterday Lancing Marine did pick up the phone - after 4 failed attempts. I had to submit my issue in an email and soon got a detailed answer from the designer of these conversions. The work was done practically 50 years ago and Mike had trouble recollecting all the details, but I did get a very comprehensive answer. I have asked for permission to post the 'authorative' description of the Lancing direct cooled BMC 1500 on here.

The solar/alternator charging system I'm sure can be sorted out satisfactorily. There are thousands of boats kitted out that way.

Chris

Following is a copy of reply direct from Mike Bellamy of Lancing Marine, the designer of the direct cooling system on my boat. This may be of wider interest.

===============================

Hi,

Oh!
This is old.
The manifold is one that I made about 50 years ago, definitely early '70s, for the 1.5 with direct cooling.

As far as I remember at this rather late stage, the water circuit was:-
Seacock
Oil cooler(s)
Jabsco pump mounted on the port front mount bracket.
Into block, but I can't remember where we made the connection. Probably on to the circulation pump inlet, but I can't be sure.
Out through the thermostat to the exhaust manifold that had an internal water injection port to cool the gas and enable use of exhaust hose.
There was also a by-pass pipe from the cylinder block drain plug into another connection on the back of the exhaust manifold to provide a water flow when the stat was closed.

All the connections I can see look to be as intended way back then.
The sizes of the various parts were carefully selected to get appropriate water flow rates

As it has worked for 50+ years, I suggest you just go through all connections and find out where the blockage is.