Spray foam

CLAN1

Featured Posts

Hi hope everyone ok n keeping safe. Im starting to get stuff ready for as n when we can get about AND better weather. Received good advice on here some time ago about stopping condensation, want to get some spray foam cans to fill gaps round our polystyrene insulation. Looking on line there seems to be different types, any advice on which type n where to get it most welcome.I am not interested in stripping out to get company to fully foam spray.Cheers.

19 minutes ago, CLAN1 said:

Hi hope everyone ok n keeping safe. Im starting to get stuff ready for as n when we can get about AND better weather. Received good advice on here some time ago about stopping condensation, want to get some spray foam cans to fill gaps round our polystyrene insulation. Looking on line there seems to be different types, any advice on which type n where to get it most welcome.I am not interested in stripping out to get company to fully foam spray.Cheers.

1   Get closed cell foam

2  Get a separate applicator nozzle which you can change from can to can

3  Larger cans are more cost effective but not if you can't use the whole can at one time so get some small ones as well

4  You can get cans of nozzle cleaner to blow a used nozzle clear after use - this is an expense but a useful one.

Screwfix no nonsense stuff, in the gun grade,  is fine. Equivalent own brands from any big  builders merchant will be similar.  Try it on polystyrene first though, in case it eats it as these are polyurethane foam.

Don't  bother with the fire type foams.  They are designed to expand and seal in a fire rather than to stick and insulate.

N

I'm about to do the same, probably going to Screwfix tomorrow to get some. Will probably get a few different ones and experiment.

From what I have read its much better to get a gun and gun grade stuff rather than straight from the can. There is some foam that expands much much less than others which should be better/less messy for doing small gaps. I have read that the fire-rated stuff expands less than standard (but more than the low expansion stuff) so it might be an option, though BEngo says otherwise and he is usually right. Note that polystyrene is not fully waterproof, the damp slowly soaks in (I confirm this really does happen) so unless you have a good vapour barrier this can be a problem, so make sure that your foam repairs do not permanently trap any moisture, maybe best to do it in the summer.

.............Dave

I know of one young tradesman using sprayfoam in a narrowboat last year, who was working near his log burner stove.

The fumes from the foam suddenly exploded in his face.

He is now disfigured and disabled for life, and will probably never work again.

Whatever you do, take exreme care.

• Greenie 1

I have read that the gas that it gives off whilst it is setting is very flammable/potentially explosive so suitable precautions should be taken, good ventilation no naked flames etc.

..............Dave

I know a bloke who tried to paint his stove with a spray can of stove paint while the stove was alight!

The spray ignited and blew back to the can. So he threw the burning can into the kitchen sink but the the plastic button had melted and he couldn't put it out. He was lucky it didn't explode but it burned all the wood in his kitchen above the sink before he managed to put it out with a fire extinguisher. 

F@cking idiot!

25 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

That's interesting, I can't find those or the gun, where from? 

Screwfix    also extra stick grade. You need solvent too to clean the gun.

https://www.screwfix.com/c/sealants-adhesives/expanding-foams/cat850108?brand=no_nonsense&foamtype=gun_grade&volume=750_ml&cm_sp=managedredirect-_-sealantsadhesives-_-nnfoamgungrade750ml

5 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Yes I have some of those but can't find a gun anywhere. 

6 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

Thanks, but.. its a standard inverted canister gun, you said you had the type that uses a canister in the upright position! 

25 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Or do you mean it can be used upright and inverted? 

10 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

Thanks, but.. its a standard inverted canister gun, you said you had the type that uses a canister in the upright position! 

I see what you mean.

Try this   Vertical foam gun technique 

2 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I see what you mean.

Try this   Vertical foam gun technique 

Amazon   sell these    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Foambeak-Vertical-Expanding-Insulation-Inches/dp/B01EAZJWG8/ref=asc_df_B01EAZJWG8/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=427881625368&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2904057704448331712&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006912&hvtargid=pla-570711349423&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=99265833763&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=427881625368&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2904057704448331712&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006912&hvtargid=pla-570711349423

Edited by Tracy D'arth