Buckingham Canal Flyby

1st ade

Featured Posts

I've lived in this area on and off for most of my life, and that's new to me too! I always thought the A5, Old Stratford and Deanshanger made getting to Buckingham a non-starter - didn't realise that there was a route round mapped out. Looks a better bet than MK to Bedford now!

This looks to me like an old route flyby. I still cant see how, without raising the A5 they will get under it.

I believe the only way is to drop down onto the Gt Ouse and back up again near 'shanger.

12 minutes ago, Loddon said:

This looks to me like an old route flyby. I still cant see how, without raising the A5 they will get under it.

I believe the only way is to drop down onto the Gt Ouse and back up again near 'shanger.

From https://www.buckinghamcanal.org.uk/restoration-projects/future-projects/

initial investigations are being undertaken and discussions held with the relevant bodies and landowners of Passenham Quarry. This could lead to the establishment of a channel for the canal through the site as part of the necessary environmental reinstatement which will take place at the end of the abstraction license.

A5 crossing
Initial discussions with the Highways Agency look to be creating an opportunity to cross under the A5 adjacent to the River Ouse.
Old Stratford
As a most of the canal is lost to housebuilding, an alternative route has been designed to run alongside the river and link Passenham to Cosgrove. Funding and planning advice options are being evaluated.
Passenham Quarry
Initial investigations are being undertaken with a view to putting a new canal channel here as part of work when the quarry activities allow.

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

There was a proposal for MK Dons Football Club to build a new training facility by bridge 1 at Cosgrove. Part of the "sweetner" was to be a small marina, a hotel and (from memory) five locks down to the river. I assume there would have been some sort of pumpback scheme to avoid the Grand Union running out of water... That could have then led to moorings in Old Stratford or Stony Stratford so a definite "end" to a cruise rather than just doing it "because it's there".

Can’t remember exact date but in the 70s the Northampton IWA branch started work clearing the bed of the canal from Cosgrove to Old Stratford. We had agreement from the then owner of Cosgrove hall to cross his land and the owner of the old wharf to work there.

When the road plans were published we lodged an objection to the height of the bridge which would not allow for a level navigation under it. At the public enquiry myself and Rodney Hardwick presented our case backed up by local boat clubs and users but unfortunately not MK development corporation. 
At the time the gentleman living in the wharf house had photos and indeed remembered the steam boats that were built in Stoney Stratford being launched there.

12 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:

We had agreement from the then owner of Cosgrove hall to cross his land and the owner of the old wharf to work there.

Should I be worried that the first Google hit on "Cosgrove Hall" is Dangermouse!

9 minutes ago, 1st ade said:

Should I be worried that the first Google hit on "Cosgrove Hall" is Dangermouse!

Don’t know about that but the then owner was house builder called Mackenzie Hill. We went to see him on a Sunday after tramping about along the canal and were invited in to the lounge and told no need to take off your boots . He just said to leave any big pieces of firewood and do what you like. We never really looked into who owned the bed and he assumed he did.

The house was destroyed in a fire in 2016.