L.T.C. Rolt

jaime66

Featured Posts

Just finished reading Narrowboat by Mr Holt and after reading the conclusion at the end  he talks about man becoming slaves of a scientific Techocracy in 1939 what would he think of us now ?With most of the younger generation glued to there smart phones ...and missing the point of life ..to get out and taste life and enjoy the great British country side .

I’ve often wondered what Tom Rolt would have made of the modern boating scene. The world he knew has almost vanished. I read the book as a youth in the 60s and his description of old school craftsmanship struck a chord which echoes still.

• Greenie 1

18 minutes ago, dave moore said:

I’ve often wondered what Tom Rolt would have made of the modern boating scene. The world he knew has almost vanished. I read the book as a youth in the 60s and his description of old school craftsmanship struck a chord which echoes still.

Or what he would make of heritage railways - a movement that he started when he and a group of friends took charge of the Talyllyn Railway in 1951 . . .

6 hours ago, NB Alnwick said:

Or what he would make of heritage railways - a movement that he started when he and a group of friends took charge of the Talyllyn Railway in 1951 . . .

6 hours ago, dave moore said:

Unfortunately or fortunately the past can rarely be preserved in its original form. I have similar views to Dave, it would be a shame if the past would be forgotten both of steam railways and canals.

Looking at them with a dispassionate eye both were hard, sometimes dangerous work that few would do today. But the men and women were brought up in that way of live and knew little different.

I have spoken to both retired boating men and women. If they could live their lives again most of the men would go back to the cut like a shot, but not so the women.  In the latter years many boaters were unhappy with their lack of academic education and wanted better for their children.

I am thankful that in both preserved railways and those who lavish time and money on ex working boats that we still have a glimpse into the past. 

Some of that past seems all too familiar to me.

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1