Double doors on my wide beam fore and aft are really annoying?

Featured Posts

Poor bloke, sees a problem, ok not a major problem, thinks is there an interesting solution, pops the question for discussion on the forum and he gets a load of grumpy old farts telling him how long they have lived on a boat and he should just man up and put the bags down.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, tree monkey said:

Poor bloke, sees a problem, ok not a major problem, thinks is there an interesting solution, pops the question for discussion on the forum and he gets a load of grumpy old farts telling him how long they have lived on a boat and he should just man up and put the bags down.

No I didnt I told him how I sorted it on my boat

25 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

It was a general rant, not specifically aimed at you.

I don't really mind the pushback, I use it to weigh the pros and cons - In this case it is a germ of an idea, I caught my finger between the doors the other day, albeit whilst closing them, and I'm continually banging them (the doors) as they meet and so on. I don't know at this stage whether it is an idea I will pursue, I've done a smallish search on-line for small hydraulic actuators and haven't found any that really suit - I imagine the bore to be around 10 - 15 mm for the application - similar to gas strut sizes, so if anyone knows of suitable cylinders I'd be pleased to look at what is available. 

You may remember another post when I mused on the idea of a pipe drawing external air for my multi-fuel stove? There were plenty of nay-sayers there too, and that works like a charm...

Wait 'til I tell you about my rainwater harvesting system...

Edited by alistair1537
spelling
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, alistair1537 said:

I don't really mind the pushback, I use it to weigh the pros and cons - In this case it is a germ of an idea, I caught my finger between the doors the other day, albeit whilst closing them, and I'm continually banging them (the doors) as they meet and so on. I don't know at this stage whether it is an idea I will pursue, I've done a smallish search on-line for small hydraulic actuators and haven't found any that really suit - I imagine the bore to be around 10 - 15 mm for the application - similar to gas strut sizes, so if anyone knows of suitable cylinders I'd be pleased to look at what is available. 

You may remember another post when I mused on the idea of a pipe drawing external air for my multi-fuel stove? There were plenty of nay-sayers there too, and that works like a charm...

Wait 'til I tell you about my rainwater harvesting system...

My mate James has rainwater harvesting on his widebeam in London, he does it because he is moored 30 foot out from the bank and is a pain to fill. His is pre filtered before the tank and then filtered as used 

4 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Remember you may need to open those doors with no power available ether from inside or out

Sure, there'd be no power involved at all - just hydraulics - like a brake pedal - from master cylinder (at the pedal) on the one door - to slave cylinder (on a wheel) on the other door.

If the system leaks it's fluid the doors would still be opened with ease. 

17 hours ago, tree monkey said:

Yes, that's about right. Par for the course on this forum.

Edited by blackrose

6 minutes ago, blackrose said:
17 hours ago, tree monkey said:

Yes, that's about right. Par for the course on this forum.

Edited 3 minutes ago by blackrose

I like to provide some snark and light mockery to leaven the grumpy posts. ?

All part of the service.

• Greenie 1

16 hours ago, alistair1537 said:

I've done a smallish search on-line for small hydraulic actuators and haven't found any that really suit - I imagine the bore to be around 10 - 15 mm for the application - similar to gas strut sizes, so if anyone knows of suitable cylinders I'd be pleased to look at what is available. 

You could use an electric actuator, no need for messy hydraulics.

s-l1600.jpg

22 hours ago, alistair1537 said:

Point taken. You're assuming of course that the bore are equal in size? What if the slave cylinder is equal to the bore of the master, less the piston rod?

That would only work if you only coupled the two 'balanced' sides together. The other two would need to be vented to atmosphere. If you cross coupled the cylinders (as you proposed originally) it won't move.

It may be quite difficult to find cylinders where the annular area of one equals the full bore area of the other. An alternative would be to use two identical cylinders but mount them to different points on the doors to accommodate their different strokes. That would be quite an interesting exercise in trigonometry. Good Luck!

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

Will you be able to open the doors with no power?

I usually have 2 weetabix so no shortage of power.  The actuators? They are so nice I must be able to find a use for them somewhere...

Perhaps a self-lowering stern canopy with bridge sensor...

5 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

I usually have 2 weetabix so no shortage of power.  The actuators? They are so nice I must be able to find a use for them somewhere...

Perhaps a self-lowering stern canopy with bridge sensor...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stroke-L600-1000mm-Linear-Actuator-12-Volt-12V-24V-330-Pounds-lbs-Maximum-Lift/401793113307?hash=item5d8cbc5cdb:g:UbUAAOSwhJFdDlzM

23 hours ago, nb Innisfree said:

Rod across below doors with a pinion each end in mesh with crown wheels on the hinge pivots, Meccano might be ok, or heavier duty gears. 

Sorry I missed this earlier - this sounds like a good idea too - I might use this! Thanks!