Cleaning rope fenders

MartinW

Featured Posts

Having finally got the keys to my boat I am noticing more and more things to add to my list. Both front and rear rope fenders are about as green as Popeye's diet. Could I please have any suggestion for the best cleaning technique and materials? My first thought was diluted bleach and a scrubbing brush but fear that I might end up with a rotting, frizzy mess (and a T-shirt that looks like a tie-dyed Dalmation .

9 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

take ‘em off the boat and have at it with a pressure washer?

Go easy with the pressure washer - it'll shred old rope fenders if you're not careful.  I'd wash off the worst of the muck then dunk them in creocoat.

15 minutes ago, koukouvagia said:

Go easy with the pressure washer - it'll shred old rope fenders if you're not careful.  I'd wash off the worst of the muck then dunk them in creocoat.

Creosote may damage "rope" fenders unless they're real rope. It's no good for polymer ropes and of no benefit either. 

If they can't take a bit of pressure washing they're probably on their way out anyway.

Edited by blackrose

If you do pressure wash them go to one of those car wash pressure wash places with the different settings for soap and water etc etc. Two quids worth will sort em good and proper and no pissing about with all the muck and watter at home.

all good clean fun, thanks! I have my brush and rods ready to sweep the chimney as my first job so I can recommission the Squirrel. I may well take the chimney off in the summer as it needs painting (as does virtually every other inch of the boat, but I knew that) so that'd be a good time to jet-wash my flue, matron.

''Patio Magic'' or similar such as ''Doff Patio Cleaner '', ''Wet and Forget '', Wilko Green Free''

It has to be applied on a dry day when no rain is expected . Dilute as per instructions (can be bought as concentrate or ready mixed) and spray on using a garden sprayer.  

I also use it on side decks and window channels that are prone to algae growth or moss and on canvas canopies .

It takes a while to take effect 

Not good for the aquatic environment so minimise any run off into the water but not so polluting as other chemicals mentioned above.

https://www.lovethegarden.com/uk-en/product/patio-magic-25-litres?gclid=Cj0KCQiA0rSABhDlARIsAJtjfCeqDiC6jNaRdvmi2LJ0Tpx1l9imrUK_34B_r1cP311TkB8EUPRqT5IaAuUcEALw_wcB

https://www.aldi.co.uk/doff-path-%26-patio-cleaner-2l/p/069689342141702

https://www.therange.co.uk/garden/fencing-and-landscaping/decking/doff-path-and-patio-decking-cleaner/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA0rSABhDlARIsAJtjfCc75eDq-8LqoTnGXWuGixNDGQQFD7Mk_zRGGvJGa1sTbrBXTWK5UIMaAgUDEALw_wcB#797812

https://www.wilko.com/wilko-green-free-concentrate-2l/p/0490982?gclid=Cj0KCQiA0rSABhDlARIsAJtjfCdvsPgJO3jc9xUR8-a4UgvzSCwqqfiLb2_wvz5cr7kQ7tLpL7t8BGcaAsQ6EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

If you do pressure wash them go to one of those car wash pressure wash places with the different settings for soap and water etc etc. Two quids worth will sort em good and proper and no pissing about with all the muck and watter at home.

two quid? when’s the last time you washed a car at a garage forecourt? :D 

i’d make sure it’s not your regular garage too if not doing it at home, bound to be a lot of gunk left when you’re done ;)