Ok I messed up I need a battery key

GHE

Featured Posts

Hi all so I kind of messed up getting in to the engine bay I kicked off the big red key for the starter battery and it flung out somehow and ended in the water it’s gone and lost for ever it seems. I’m just near Daventry before the buckby top lock and wondering if any one knows where to buy one at the moment or if anyone has a spare to help for now thank you in advance 

Would it be possible to put up a photo of what is remaining, I'm not sure exactly what you need. Or perhaps a photo of what type it is. 

I assume it's not the small red plastic thing with a bit like an elephants ear. No one would describe them as large. ASAP supplies should have most spares, all you need now is a postcode or even post restante. 

Edited by LadyG

7 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Wilton marina at the bottom of Buckby or Weltonfield on the Leicester section.

I doubt Weltonfield would have them in stack. I would walk down the flight to Whilton, closer I think than Midland Chanlders because you would have to walk over the tunnel.

Temporary measure - put all the cables on the back of the switch onto one terminal but don't tell the BSS. get the key and reposition the cables ASAP.

12 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Temporary measure - put all the cables on the back of the switch onto one terminal but don't tell the BSS. get the key and reposition the cables ASAP.

If you do this, before you start taking a spanner to the nuts that hold the red +ve cables to each end of the isolator switch, remove the black wire from the negative terminal of your starter battery. This assumes the isolation switch is in the positive cable and the cables are the proper colours! Saves sparks and grief if your spanner accidentally touches the boat metalwork at the same time. Apologies to the OP if you already know this.

Jen

• Greenie 2

35 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Temporary measure - put all the cables on the back of the switch onto one terminal but don't tell the BSS. get the key and reposition the cables ASAP

Quick way to do this- get some bare wire and wrap it round and round the 2 terminals. No need for any tools, just make sure you don't let the other end touch anything especially the hull. If you haven't any wire, as an emergency temporary measure use twisted kitchen foil.

35 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I am a bit concerned  about suggesting this to the OP. He is possibly not very well informed about isolator switches and electrics judging by his erroneous description of the switch as a "battery key" .

I hope that he is very careful to disconnect and not short his battery/s out and frighten himself or start a fire.

If you can’t get one tomorrow repost here and I’ll get you one on sunday

I have a spare switch on the boat but while I am very near you, the boat is near Southam. I’d have to cycle to boat pick up key and then ride back home via buckby.

Not a huge issue, but if you can get to Braunstone or whilst on would be better

• Greenie 3

1 minute ago, Keeping Up said:

Quick way to do this- get some bare wire and wrap it round and round the 2 terminals. No need for any tools, just make sure you don't let the other end touch anything especially the hull. If you haven't any wire, as an emergency temporary measure use twisted kitchen foil.

I hope that his starter current doesn't set the foil on fire!

1 minute ago, Keeping Up said:

Er this is the starter battery. A bit of tinfoil, or thin wire is going to get vaporised!

15 hours ago, GHE said:

Hi all so I kind of messed up getting in to the engine bay I kicked off the big red key for the starter battery and it flung out somehow and ended in the water it’s gone and lost for ever it seems. I’m just near Daventry before the buckby top lock and wondering if any one knows where to buy one at the moment or if anyone has a spare to help for now thank you in advance 

Hello??

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Maybe he tried wrapping foil around the terminal and the boat burst into flames.

I'd be willing to bet that a tinfoil wrap would work a lot better than the cheap jump-leads that I bought from Halfrauds a few years ago!

• Greenie 2