Diesel Blown Air Heater Location

Nobag

Featured Posts

Hello, does anyone have their heater installed inside the living area of the boat, fitted with a gas tight exhaust connected to a skin fitting.

I was thinking that if one was fitted in a central position, you could have air blown in both directions and not have cold spots in the boat.

Looking on YouTube, there are a few videos showing these heaters with CO detectors installed on sea going boats and in what appears to be living space.

Thanks for any Thoughts.

15 minutes ago, Nobag said:

Hello, does anyone have their heater installed inside the living area of the boat, fitted with a gas tight exhaust connected to a skin fitting.

I was thinking that if one was fitted in a central position, you could have air blown in both directions and not have cold spots in the boat.

Exactly how ours is installed. but under the floor, not actually within the 'living area'.

The exhaust is thru a sealed hull fitting, and the hot air goes both F'wds and B'wards via a T piece.

We have 6 outlets (2 in the aft cabin, 1 in the saloon, 1 in the dining room, 1 in the fwd bathroom and 1 in the forward cabin)

If you don't want (or need) an area heating then you simply close the 'flap' over that vent.

43 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

They make a noise.

Yes, but i think when they reach the set temp they quieten down, lots of camper vans seem to have them.

Thanks

31 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Exactly how ours is installed. but under the floor, not actually within the 'living area'.

The exhaust is thru a sealed hull fitting, and the hot air goes both F'wds and B'wards via a T piece.

We have 6 outlets (2 in the aft cabin, 1 in the saloon, 1 in the dining room, 1 in the fwd bathroom and 1 in the forward cabin)

If you don't want (or need) an area heating then you simply close the 'flap' over that vent.

I have a cupboard where a Alde boiler used to live and was thinking it may be a suitable place, but not sure about the gas tight exhaust.

Thanks

4 minutes ago, Nobag said:

Yes, but i think when they reach the set temp they quieten down, lots of camper vans seem to have them.

Thanks

I have a cupboard where a Alde boiler used to live and was thinking it may be a suitable place, but not sure about the gas tight exhaust.

Thanks

The 'proper' fittings are gas tight, otherwise wherever the heater unit is the boat would fill up with CO and exhaust fumes.

The noise levels are dependent on the type/quality of the exhaust fitting, but you do get a 'bit of a jet engine' noise from the exhaust. It doesn't keep us awake,

We have an Eberspacher 2kw blown heater in our motorhome.  Best thing we ever did. We spent the last NZ winter in the deep south, similar temperatures to the UK.

Although it can be noisy on start up, it quietens down to a purr. I found that keeping it on 24/7 was more efficient than turning it on and off. The thermostat worked perfectly. The closer you get to the set temperature the fan slows to almost nothing. 

At night we'd put the thermostat to 14C and crank it up in the mornings. 

On a boat I'd figure using a 4kw or greater. 

Battery usage was minimal. Although it can draw about 12 amps on start up, this lasts less than 30 seconds once the glow plug is warmed.

If several outlets are going to be used then I would recommend insulating the ducting.  This made a big difference to ours.

• Greenie 1

18 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

but you do get a 'bit of a jet engine' noise from the exhaust. It doesn't keep us awake,

It doesn't keep me awake either, although that might be more because you moved the boat to Wales rather than the exhaust arrangements... ;)

• Love 1

41 minutes ago, Jim Wortelhock said:

We have an Eberspacher 2kw blown heater in our motorhome.  Best thing we ever did. We spent the last NZ winter in the deep south, similar temperatures to the UK.

Although it can be noisy on start up, it quietens down to a purr. I found that keeping it on 24/7 was more efficient than turning it on and off. The thermostat worked perfectly. The closer you get to the set temperature the fan slows to almost nothing. 

At night we'd put the thermostat to 14C and crank it up in the mornings. 

On a boat I'd figure using a 4kw or greater. 

Battery usage was minimal. Although it can draw about 12 amps on start up, this lasts less than 30 seconds once the glow plug is warmed.

If several outlets are going to be used then I would recommend insulating the ducting.  This made a big difference to ours.

Thanks, its good to know that they run fairly quiet.