Prospective buyers paid for BSS then backed out of sale

SallyG

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I'm not sure what needs to be changed here. Your boat now has a valid BSS certificate (I'm surprised you didn't do this prior to selling anyway)

Thanks for your response.  We did actually have a valid BSS certificate due to run out in July 2021. 4 years ago the same surveyor had said regarding the BSS "get these few (simple) jobs done and next time there'll be no problem" We thought we'd sell it with a recent certificate not realising that things that had passed the inspection last time (ie wiring loom) wouldn't pass this time! Nothing had changed on the boat but I assume the rules have changed.

13 hours ago, matty40s said:

The BSS has been paid for, and if the works are done to the surveyors satisfaction, will stand against the boat for 4 years who-ever owns it or buys it.

(Unless changes are made to electrical, gas, ventilation or fuel systems in the interim)

I must have misunderstood in that I thought the new BSS certificate  had not been registered by the surveyor . 

• Greenie 1

I'm slightly confused by this thread. Is the OP talking about a bss inspection ? In which case I'd say perspective buyer pays for bss and pulls out ... result! 

Or 

Is it a buyer's survey which is a different thing altogether.... if the bss had advisories why would you need to get the inspector back ? They were advisories  not fails...

Just seems all a bit jumbled up and something not quite ringing true to me 

Just saying....

Edited by jonathanA

3 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

I'm slightly confused by this thread. Is the OP talking about a bss inspection ? In which case I'd say perspective buyer pays for bss and pulls out ... result! 

Or 

Is it a buyer's survey which is a different thing altogether.... if the bss had advisories why would you need to get the inspector back ? They were advisories  not fails...

Just seems all a bit jumbled up and something not quite ringing true to me 

Just saying....

I agree

The situation may be this ...........

I think the surveyor was asked by the buyer (who pulled out) to comment on the BSS  compliance  in his report but the surveyor has not necessarily been asked to register a fresh BSSC. 

I had a similar situation when I bought my present boat . There were failure points and  a fresh BSSC could not be  processed following the pre purchase survey.

On 22/01/2021 at 02:06, SallyG said:

Hi, Does anyone know the situation with BSS certificates when a buyer has backed out of the sale. Our boat is up for sale and an interested person has paid for a survey and a BSS examination then had second thoughts and backed out of the sale.  We proceeded to get the advisories carried out and now need the new certificate. Will the surveyor supply us with the certificate as the prospective buyer is no longer interested?  Thanks

For clarity, this is the OP. It certainly looks like a BSS was issued and advisories identified and carried out by the seller. The OP also mentions a "new" certificate, after the advisories are completed, which suggests they had sight of the "old" certificate.

So... I agree.... there is some confusion here.

21 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

It certainly looks like a BSS was issued 

It looks like a surveyor has been engaged to carry out a pre purchase  survey and has noted some BSS advisory matters in his report.

2 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

For clarity, this is the OP. It certainly looks like a BSS was issued and advisories identified and carried out by the seller. The OP also mentions a "new" certificate, after the advisories are completed, which suggests they had sight of the "old" certificate.

So... I agree.... there is some confusion here.

The OP can check on her CRT account what the current BSC expiry date is. If that is 4 years away then there is a new certificate, and if I was in her position and looking to sell I wouldn't worry about having the actual certificate - having it recorded by CRT is enough.

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

It looks like a surveyor has been engaged to carry out a pre purchase  survey and has noted some BSS advisory matters in his report.

Then the solution is simple... the OP/seller just gets any BSS inspector to do a BSS and the thread would have ended after a couple of posts.

It will be interesting to hear what is actually going on, from the OP :) 

2 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Then the solution is simple... the OP/seller just gets any BSS inspector to do a BSS and the thread would have ended after a couple of posts.

No need  since the pre-existing BSS doesnt expire until July.