HUMAX Kaput?

jenevers

Featured Posts

My HUMAX Sat+ has just wiped off all my recordings going back 6 years?

It still receives satellite channels but won’t record so I suppose the recording side of the unit is kaput.

Any suggestions as to any possible repair or a good replacement gratefully received.

Edited by jenevers

8 minutes ago, jenevers said:

My HUMAX Sat+ has just wiped off all my recordings going back 6 years?

It still receives satellite channels but won’t record so I suppose the recording side of the unit is kaput.

Any suggestions as to any possible repair or a good replacement gratefully received.

sounds like the hard drive has failed.

as it still works apart from the record/pause function i’m guessing the drive stores only recordings and not software.

take it apart, note size (2.5” laptop size or 3.5” desktop size) and type of hard drive (old IDE or modern SATA) replace with similar. (drive capacity may be locked in firmware to prevent larger ones being added so safest to replace with same capacity, brand is not important). if you can get more detail re: Humax model number theres a few websites that will tell you if larger capacity is possible.

you won’t get your recordings back but you’ll be able to make new ones.

Edited by Hudds Lad
more detail

20 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

sounds like the hard drive has failed.

you won’t get your recordings back but you’ll be able to make new ones.

1. Agree

2. Maybe stick it in a computer, it might read all or part of it. If not try a disc recovery program.

3 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

2. Maybe stick it in a computer, it might read all or part of it. If not try a disc recovery program.

from what i can remember its formatted as EXT3 so you can see it if you run Linux, the files will be encrypted though so unless they’re fully intact with no corruption and then put on the new drive they’ll be useless.

been a few years since i messed with PVR’s

7 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

from what i can remember its formatted as EXT3 so you can see it if you run Linux, the files will be encrypted though so unless they’re fully intact with no corruption and then put on the new drive they’ll be useless.

been a few years since i messed with PVR’s

It's likely to be ext3. There are utilities to read these on Windows, whether effectively I don't know.

having now read a bit more, once the box is running its new drive you can connect the old one via a suitable enclosure to the boxes USB port and copy recordings across to the new drive.

this is all moot if the original drive is firmly dead though.

Hummys will take up to 2TB drives, though I'd stick to a maximum of 1TB - the larger the drive - the more recordings you'll use.

There is a good forum - Hummy.tv and all sorts of software which might help (once you've recovered the drive if that's possible)

What sort of box is it?

The older rectangular Freeview or Freesat,

the newer curvey ones (also freeview or freesat)

2 hours ago, OldGoat said:

Hummys will take up to 2TB drives, though I'd stick to a maximum of 1TB - the larger the drive - the more recordings you'll use.

There is a good forum - Hummy.tv and all sorts of software which might help (once you've recovered the drive if that's possible)

What sort of box is it?

The older rectangular Freeview or Freesat,

the newer curvey ones (also freeview or freesat)

It’s a Humax HDR-1000S/GB/500G “Freesat+”.

must admit all the tech talk is like Chinese to me!?

Seems that Humax are getting out of the Freesat scene. I thought I could just go and buy a Freesat box made by loads of different manufacturers (Sony, Samsung etc etc) anywhere but it appears that the only one is called an Arris. Can anyone clarify the situation.

I also have a Sky box (DRX595L) but it doesn’t seem to have a “record “ facility even though the remote has. ? What going on??

Edited by jenevers

2 hours ago, jenevers said:

I also have a Sky box (DRX595L) but it doesn’t seem to have a “record “ facility even though the remote has. ? What going on??

Once you cancel the Sky subscription they remove that functionality, i think if you contact them you can get the paired card converted to a "Freesat from Sky" card for a one-off fee of about £25 which re-enables recording. Dick Turpin had nothing on Sky

On 22/01/2021 at 17:54, Hudds Lad said:

Once you cancel the Sky subscription they remove that functionality, i think if you contact them you can get the paired card converted to a "Freesat from Sky" card for a one-off fee of about £25 which re-enables recording. Dick Turpin had nothing on Sky

Thanks for that info?

• Greenie 1

• 2 weeks later...

When I was looking into buying my Humax Freesat box (HD1100S) I found some information that claimed the disk controller chip was a weak point. Don't know any more than that but if the disk shows as ok on a computer it may be  worth getting it checked out. Should be a simple fix for a competent repair person.

2 hours ago, Cruiser_Boy said:

When I was looking into buying my Humax Freesat box (HD1100S) I found some information that claimed the disk controller chip was a weak point. Don't know any more than that but if the disk shows as ok on a computer it may be  worth getting it checked out. Should be a simple fix for a competent repair person.

IIRC the problem was with the 'standard' - HD1000S; the 1100's were OK.  Given that PC disk drives are usually pretty solid, you may have been unlucky.