BW on the case?

Denis R

Featured Posts

Went for a cruise over the Ouse aqueduct last weekend an moored overnight on the 14 day at Cosgrove. Before 8am on the Sunday morning a BW officer had been along and left me a note welcoming me to the visitor moorings, giving me a number to call with any concerns or enquiries, reminding me that I could only stay for 14 days and finished off with a have a nice day sir.

Wow! Now that's what I call service. If I hadn't have been lazing in bed I'd have made a pot of tea!

Reading the screed on N*************d it seems this is part of an organised campaign to clamp down on licence evaders and overstayers.

Can I expect this benevolent care all along the GU now?

We had that in August, as previous mentioned on these forums. The difference was though that we're a Bridgewater boat. The BW guy knocked on the side of the boat to tell us that the BW plates which are still screwed to the boat are matching up with a license which has expired some time ago.

I explained that we've been here for 1 day, and only 48 hour moorings so we weren't breaking any rules and regs even though he said there was no such reciprocal agreement. That's another story however, as I'm going off topic but it would be interesting to see what would happen if you called the number which he left to see how helpful he really was :lol:

it would be interesting to see what would happen if you called the number which he left to see how helpful he really was :lol:

I've always found patrol officers to be helpful, usually above and beyond etc.. (with two notable exceptions). By far the majority of front line BW staff will bend over backwards to assist.

It wasn't a tongue in cheek comment. With being on the Bridgewater for most of the time I don't really get to chat to a lot of BW guys when I venture through the tunnel but the ones I have seen have always smiling and friendly.

I've always found patrol officers to be helpful, usually above and beyond etc.. (with two notable exceptions). By far the majority of front line BW staff will bend over backwards to assist.

This is the only experience we have had of BW, we haven't even got an exception! :lol:

Went for a cruise over the Ouse aqueduct last weekend an moored overnight on the 14 day at Cosgrove. Before 8am on the Sunday morning a BW officer had been along and left me a note welcoming me to the visitor moorings, giving me a number to call with any concerns or enquiries, reminding me that I could only stay for 14 days and finished off with a have a nice day sir.

Wow! Now that's what I call service. If I hadn't have been lazing in bed I'd have made a pot of tea!

Reading the screed on N*************d it seems this is part of an organised campaign to clamp down on licence evaders and overstayers.

Can I expect this benevolent care all along the GU now?

When we came through Coscrove the scarce short term moorings were taken up by a mooring warden's boat and a boat with wares for sale on top. We didn't stop.

Sue

Thant must have been above the lock Sue? I was moored below, between the aqueduct and the lock - it's a pretty long stretch of 14 day. Admittedly during the summer it was pretty busy, but last weekend I could just see another boat through my binoculars.

Perhaps BW could extend the scheme further north. Met a couple recently who described themselves as bridge hoppers and were complaining bitterly about the other bridge hoppers who don't bridge hop!!

This guy (IIRC is called Mick) recently moved to Cosgrove from being the mooring warden at Marsworth where he used to do the same thing - note, have a pleasant stay, 14 days only etc. He also makes and sells rope fenders etc.

Chris