Would really appreciate an opinion on this boat.

OTL

Featured Posts

Looks very tidy and well presented from the pictures, maybe slightly on the high side price wise but having had a recent repaint as long as it was done well probably justifies the price. It would be interesting to know where it was repainted.

8 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Looks very tidy and well presented from the pictures, maybe slightly on the high side price wise but having had a recent repaint as long as it was done well probably justifies the price. It would be interesting to know where it was repainted.

Cheers, Rob!

I must say it is at the top end of my budget, Would you value it more around the 45k mark?

You don't mention what you will use it for e.g. holidays, living aboard?  If it's the latter then you might want to research whether an ALDE boiler is for you i.e. the costs of gas consumption, servicing, safety checks etc. compared to a diesel boiler for example.  It may be possible to retro fit a diesel boiler.

There is also some lazy brochure work going on..... Inverter = Yes   !!

12 minutes ago, GRLMK38 said:

You don't mention what you will use it for e.g. holidays, living aboard?  If it's the latter then you might want to research whether an ALDE boiler is for you i.e. the costs of gas consumption, servicing, safety checks etc. compared to a diesel boiler for example.  It may be possible to retro fit a diesel boiler.

There is also some lazy brochure work going on..... Inverter = Yes   !!

Hi there,

I intend to use it as a liveaboard. I'll have to look into ALDE boilers. I've heard them mentioned a few times before as fairly pricey to operate.

Thanks for the reply

It doesn't say how old it is.

With a BMC engine fitted it's probably getting on a bit.

If it has been well looked after then the age is not that important.

But as I am sure others will advise too,commission your own survey and make your offer subject to satisfactory survey.

The price does sound a bit topside,but boats suitable to livaboard seem to be selling.

21 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

It doesn't say how old it is.

With a BMC engine fitted it's probably getting on a bit.

If it has been well looked after then the age is not that important.

But as I am sure others will advise too,commission your own survey and make your offer subject to satisfactory survey.

The price does sound a bit topside,but boats suitable to livaboard seem to be selling.

1997 on the brochure ?

very nice boat as for the asking price thats what it is up for ,another thing is will it go for that ,i think so .my thoughts on bmc engines. if looked after they will go on for ever and ever .otl if you like what your looking at and you get as much info and still like it . go for it and good luck .theres not a boater on canaloworld who have  brought a boat thinking that it was a great boat for great money wrong .they all still come with problems in one way or another .theres no such thing as plane sailing .good luck and enjoy regards

Looks very pretty inside and out. Squirrel is in the right place. Alde boiler is bad news gas wise but it should be  an easy job to fit a very cheap Chinese Planar diesel heater.

Bath is a waste of space and water.  Only my opinion..

Check for rust in and under the semi trad bit. Maker of the shell?

Get the hull surveyed, 24 years afloat is a fair bit if its not been properly maintained all the time.

BMC 1.8D is a fine engine, if its sound now and maintained in future its a cracker, easy spares and everyone knows them. Be nice if it has a hydraulic gearbox rather than a mechanical one, see if it has a gearbox oil cooler near the engine, if so its hydraulic.

Watch yourself with GH boat sales, ask who owns the boat, it may be themselves, Be very careful paying deposits that are none returnable, there are threads on here.

I would consider £40K to £42K a good price if its all sound.

• Greenie 1

imho fifty k buys you a boat ten years newer than that of a higher spec. Its nice enough though and stuff is selling at a bonkers rate. Find a no nonsense seller and if you are a no nonsense buyer you can still do well.

42 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Looks very pretty inside and out. Squirrel is in the right place. Alde boiler is bad news gas wise but it should be  an easy job to fit a very cheap Chinese Planar diesel heater.

Bath is a waste of space and water.  Only my opinion..

Check for rust in and under the semi trad bit. Maker of the shell?

Get the hull surveyed, 24 years afloat is a fair bit if its not been properly maintained all the time.

BMC 1.8D is a fine engine, if its sound now and maintained in future its a cracker, easy spares and everyone knows them. Be nice if it has a hydraulic gearbox rather than a mechanical one, see if it has a gearbox oil cooler near the engine, if so its hydraulic.

Watch yourself with GH boat sales, ask who owns the boat, it may be themselves, Be very careful paying deposits that are none returnable, there are threads on here.

I would consider £40K to £42K a good price if its all sound.

I was always happy with my Alde boiler but I did fill my own gas bottles so it was cheap enough to use

Thank you for the all the replies,

Regarding the Alde gas boiler, Is this used to heat the water as well as heat up the boat via the centrel heating?

I plan to use the stove for the majority of the heating purposes so will the aldi still be costly if it's used just to heat the water?

Thanks

6 minutes ago, OTL said:

Thank you for the all the replies,

Regarding the Alde gas boiler, Is this used to heat the water as well as heat up the boat via the centrel heating?

I plan to use the stove for the majority of the heating purposes so will the aldi still be costly if it's used just to heat the water?

Thanks

Mine wasn't it's just a lever at the back I think?

The problem I suppose is the pilot light is always on which wastes gas.  If moving normally the engine will heat up the calorifier