quiz - Which Canal

mark99

Featured Posts

Give Biscuit a Biscuit.

Tavistock. I was going to bung the property on canalside homes for sale.... the estate agent carried no image of the canal on the property land however.

Edited by mark99

On 21/01/2021 at 13:27, Dharl said:

Basingstoke....? 

(yes it is open to navigation some of the times....) 

We had a lovely time on the Basingstoke in 2016.  It's by no means derelict but the locks leak like crazy so you need to be accompanied by and lock keeper/lengthsman who seals up the gates when you have worked through a lock.  He drags leafy silt agains the sills and that reduces the leak from a torrent to a trickle.

N

1 hour ago, Theo said:

We had a lovely time on the Basingstoke in 2016.  It's by no means derelict but the locks leak like crazy so you need to be accompanied by and lock keeper/lengthsman who seals up the gates when you have worked through a lock.  He drags leafy silt agains the sills and that reduces the leak from a torrent to a trickle.

N

It is a technique that dates way back and was not uncommon. It was sometimes known as 'ashing' and, the only time I have seen it done (by CaRT when stopping off a lock to check the ground paddles, the best ash is from a local steam railway!

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/01/2021 at 15:51, Theo said:

until recently lived at Fleet at the canal was a frequent dog walking location, however in 10 years can count on one hand the number of boats we saw moving on it.     Often used to drive up to Aldermastern to walk along the K&A and see a bit more boating action! 

17 hours ago, Heartland said:

Tavistock does have a problem connecting to the main network, but is a nice waterway all the same. I wonder if a trail boat would fit !

Something like the old Shetland cruisers might (570?)

Canoe would be easier though! Just don't get sucked into the tunnel, there is quite a flow!

35 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

Canoe would be easier though! Just don't get sucked into the tunnel, there is quite a flow!

And a hydro electric power station at the far end, as far as I can remember, the last time I was there was for a site visit in about 1992

2 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

I know quite a few who've gone through the tunnel in a kayak, going downhill is fine, it's getting back again that's the problem ! 

I've got a friend who walked through it a few years ago, after SWW drained it for maintenance, unfortunately all his photos are too dark to see any detail of the inside.

On 27/01/2021 at 17:01, Mike Todd said:

It is a technique that dates way back and was not uncommon. It was sometimes known as 'ashing' and, the only time I have seen it done (by CaRT when stopping off a lock to check the ground paddles, the best ash is from a local steam railway!

It's always been known as "racking" round these parts.

On 27/01/2021 at 17:01, Mike Todd said:

In the past we observed 'ashing' on the Caen Hill flight of locks, just below the tea room. I'm assuming this was used each night until new facings /lock gates were repaired