CAD drawings / 3D models

cairanvanrooyen

Featured Posts

Happy lockdown everyone!

I have seen an old post on this forum for AutoCAD drawings, but that post was around 15 years ago and there was not much in the way of useful content, so I am starting a new thread. I am after a CAD drawing or 3D model of a narrowboat similar to mine, so I can mock up a new painting design. This same resource could be hugely valuable to others i imagine.

Does anyone have any of the following:

1. AutoCAD (.dwg, .dxf etc) AutoCAD drawings for narrowboats?

2. Vector based drawings for narrowboats (for Adobe Illustrator)?

3. 3D files for Rhino 3D or Fusion 360

Can't help with the drawings, and I doubt there are many out there, because the industry is based in craft skill and experience rather than in formal design. Steel is cut to wooden templates and things like that.

However, you can take good quality photos  of the parts you want a paint scheme for and use Photoshop to try your ideas out.

N

• Greenie 1

None of the above but I did a too scale drawing of the side of my boat in the GIMP, a photoshop like drawing package when I was working out the paint scheme. Just did the cabin sides as I knew what the rest would look like. .Found this gave as much information to make decisions as a CAD approach, but quicker to do. It was to scale, 1 pixel equalled one unit of distance, I can't remember which, or even if it was metric, or imperial. I did make 2D CAD drawings of things like internal layout and positions of windows, roof vents, services etc. I have mentioned them on CWDF before and it may be these you found in your search. I may have imported the CAD drawing of window positions as a start for my pixel based colouring in session in the GIMP. At the time I was using 3D CAD for work, but 13 plus years ago free 3D cad packages were not available for home use for any reasonable price, like free, with reasonable functionality. Again, at the time I'd not got my head round vector drawing, though these days I use it a lot.

It depends how good your visual imagination is as to how easy it is to mentally translate a 2D picture in to a 3D full size boat. I agree with @BEngo, the chances of a drawing of someone else's boat being useful for yours is low.

Jen

• Greenie 1

I am confused because if you have the 2D packages you list then what not draw your own, especially if the cabin side has an upturn at the stern. If those packages are too complicated for you then there are much simpler vector drawing programs about. Inkscape is cross platform and free. FWIW I use a very old program called Designworks or Draw3 but that uses a proprietor file format.

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

I am confused because if you have the 2D packages you list then what not draw your own, especially if the cabin side has an upturn at the stern. If those packages are too complicated for you then there are much simpler vector drawing programs about. Inkscape is cross platform and free. FWIW I use a very old program called Designworks or Draw3 but that uses a proprietor file format.

I do have the packages listed and feel most at home in AutoCAD, so, indeed my intention was to draw my own elevation of the boat if I cannot find an example/starting point.

I was asking, on the off chance that there was a drawing very similar to my boat in someone's possession - Pinder and others made loads of my style of boat for hire fleets up and down the country.

Edited by cairanvanrooyen

• 1 year later...

I have a Fusion 360 model of a friends boat that I created for writing a manual but its too large to upload to this site. (20.4MB) (40MB as a STEP file)

Could share via Microsoft 365 if you still require / what a model

Mollie.png