Oil leak lister petter

Craigyamahamad

Featured Posts

Hi totaly new to this iv got a lister petter alpha had to remove from the boat to try find oil leak.iv cleaned the engine spotless but only play that looks wet is just under the water pump someone says theres oil behind it and the gaskets give up could anyone advise of this please id be grateful for any help

18 minutes ago, Craigyamahamad said:

Hi totaly new to this iv got a lister petter alpha had to remove from the boat to try find oil leak.iv cleaned the engine spotless but only play that looks wet is just under the water pump someone says theres oil behind it and the gaskets give up could anyone advise of this please id be grateful for any help

Which model is it ?
I have workshop manuals for most of them, happy to provide a Pdf copy if I have the relevant one.

Lister Petter » Alpha Series

Assuming its not a Jabsco type water pump or an traditional engine. tTere is no oil behind the typical engine water pump. It just coolant water & antifreeze). Your symptoms are typical of a leaking water pump shaft seal as long as the wet is basically water and not oil. If its oil then its more likely a leak from close by, not the pump or pump gasket.

Pump shaft seal leaks are horribly unpredictable. Sometimes they only leak while running, some thime only when stationary and sometimes only when it thinks it will. Then it suddenly dumps all you coolant into the bilge.

My guess is it needs a new pump and gasket to fit it ASAP.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If it is, as he says, an Alpha series then it is an LPW or LPWS water cooled rather than a 'traditional' Lister.

Then my diagnosis stands until I know more. To be honest I rather tend to be suspicious of engine identification given by new members  because much misinformation id passed on - even from brokers. Remember the discussion about that EX Rose hire boat and the BMCs that turned out to be something else when photos were posted.

That is why I specifically said "if its not a Jabsco type pump". If it is the as you show there will be at least oil mist behind it but the OP ha snot given enough information. if you look at your diagrams you will see the alternator belt going vertically upwards fro the right of the crankshaft pulley, That means there is an engine water pump. If its a narrowboat then there is a better than 50% chance there is no Jabsco type pump because its tank cooled.

If it is a Jabsco then they usually have a shaft seal with a tell tail port along the body so diagnosing the oil end shaft seal rather the mounting gasket is still the more likely fault. Undisturbed gaskets tend not to start leaking unless the crank case breather is blocked.

I think the OP needs to post a photo or two

59 minutes ago, Craigyamahamad said:

Hi thanks for replys its a lpws2 with a burgess water pump.

I still think that you need to post a photo so we can be sure. As far as I can tell from Google images you are talking about the engine water pump, not a raw water pump that many inland boats do not have so my diagnosis in the third post is the most likely.

You need to be differentiate between an oil leak (black) and a coolant leak (clear, rusty, blue, red, yellow depending upon antifreeze).

Remember we can only work on what you tell us so if in doubt post a photo. We also have no idea about any member's ability, knowledge or experience so you asking about an oil leak and then talking about "wet" without specifying if its oil or coolant means I suspect you do not have much experience.

1 hour ago, Craigyamahamad said:

Hi thanks for replys its a lpws2 with a burgess water pump.

Can you provide any more information and pictures of the pump, I can find no reference to Burgess water pumps being used on, or even suitable for boats.

All pictures of Burgess pumps seem to be irrigation pumps or agricultural slurry pumps,

I put "burgess water pump" into Google Images and an image of a engine water pump labelled Burgess came up. Further down was this image that said it was for an LPSW 2

751-41022 751-41021 Water Pump for Lister Petter LPW LPWS LPWT Engine  Genset | eBay

I have never heard of Burgess water pumps but then I have always been more focused on the engine make and model. but seemingly they exist and I get the impression its a US company.

10 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I put "burgess water pump" into Google Images and an image of a engine water pump labelled Burgess came up. Further down was this image that said it was for an LPSW 2

751-41022 751-41021 Water Pump for Lister Petter LPW LPWS LPWT Engine  Genset | eBay

I have never heard of Burgess water pumps but then I have always been more focused on the engine make and model. but seemingly they exist and I get the impression its a US company.

Good find - my Google search was a failure (except for slurry pumps)

I've found your image - its is manufactured in China by a company called "Friday Parts"

Sold on ebay, Ali-Express etc etc under various names.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Just now, Eeyore said:

LPW is the direct injection variant of the engine, and LPWS is the indirect injection variant (with heater plugs). Both are available in marine builds, with the LPWS being used for the Canalstar range. I had a factory marinised LPW in my ex hire fleet boat, which was replaced like for like when it finally expired. The LPW based marine engines were I think referred to as Alpha for a while.

I am aware of that.

Yes - if you look at the link I provided (in an earlier post) it shows the Alpha range as being the LPW, and the LPWS was specifically designed for 'canal boats'.

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I am aware of that.

Yes - if you look at the link I provided (in an earlier post) it shows the Alpha range as being the LPW, and the LPWS was specifically designed for 'canal boats'.

Sorry, caught out by the small print ☹️

• Happy 1

41 minutes ago, Craigyamahamad said:

Hi thanks for replys for my lister petter LPW2  turns out the leak is oil its coming from the houseing plate that the oil pressure switch bolts to.

It sounds as if you are talking of the crankcase door. Be careful when refitting. Make sure all remains of the old gasket are removed. Use a new gasket. Do not use jointing compound and torque to 8 lb ft. The reason for this is that all the oilways are in this door, so any internal or external leaks could give a reduced or no oil pressure.

2 minutes ago, Craigyamahamad said:

Thanks alot for the info im bit blind as never worked on these engines before im a motorbike guy but trying help my sister out would there be anything that could pop out by removing the crankcase door or is it just a cover caseing regards

No there is nothing that will fly out. The only one thing is the fuel lift pump push rod. Once you have removed the pump this will just pull out. Then you should be fine. As I said before just make sure everything is clean and use a new joint.

5 minutes ago, Craigyamahamad said:

Thanks alot for the info im bit blind as never worked on these engines before im a motorbike guy but trying help my sister out would there be anything that could pop out by removing the crankcase door or is it just a cover caseing regards

Message me with you email address and I'll send you the full workshop manual.