Possible breach near Wharton's Lock, Shropshire Union

rgreg

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, David Mack said:

No "possible" about that! CRT need to drop the pound level a few inches ASAP, but that won't be easy in the current conditions.

The initial verbal report I heard was "possible".. the photo I posted indeed confirms the breach.

From CRT's perspective it's getting better & better because (1) it improves their status of the ratio of unforeseeable issues to preventable faults - thus increasing the managers' annual bonuses - and (2) it would cause plenty of upsets and therefore help their pleas for crowd-funded repair contributions.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

At the moment a single sheet of 8 x 4 ply backed up by a dozen sandbags would hold the job.  By the time CRT get to it it will be a £multi millions breach.

They will have to wait for the right weather so they can get that chopper in and drop sandbags all over the shop. Always looks good on the telly.?

CRT stoppage notice:

Notice Alert

Shropshire Union Canal
Starts At: Lock 10, Wharton's Lock
Ends At: Lock 11, Beeston Iron Lock

Thursday 21 January 2021 09:30 until further notice

Type: Navigation Closure
Reason: Structure failure

Original message:

Please be advised, as a result of Storm Christoph, canal navigation and towpath are currently closed between Lock 10, Wharton's Lock and Lock 11, Beeston Iron Lock on the Shropshire Union Canal.

Our teams are onsite inspecting the breach in the canal wall and an update will be provided tomorrow, Friday 22 January.

You can view this notice and its map online here:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/19052/lock-10-to-lock-11-shropshire-union-canal

You can find all notices at the url below:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices

13 hours ago, matty40s said:

I'm quite sure Chas Hardern will have reported it.

Good lord - is he still going?

Must be nearly forty years since we worked our way through his hire fleet (and even longer since he repaired Magpie the Elders outboard motor while us children lounged in the sun!)

3 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

There's a video on FB from this morning showing the bank had now gone completely.  I can't work out how to download the video and post it here. Maybe it's not allowed.

Facebook don't like you downloading videos from them, you have to use tricksy websites that you paste the URL into to snag them. Said websites are usually full of pop-ups and spam, best to ensure any shields are fully up before venturing onto them.

1 minute ago, Hudds Lad said:

Facebook don't like you downloading videos from them, you have to use tricksy websites that you paste the URL into to snag them. Said websites are usually full of pop-ups and spam, best to ensure any shields are fully up before venturing onto them.

Thanks, but I don't think I'll bother. The screenshot will have to do.

48 minutes ago, 1st ade said:

Good lord - is he still going?

Must be nearly forty years since we worked our way through his hire fleet (and even longer since he repaired Magpie the Elders outboard motor while us children lounged in the sun!)

Yes, about 40 years ago...

He started with camping boats almost 50 years ago .

Heres me in 1981

20210121_105727.jpg