Where's that snow bomb now?

LadyG

Featured Posts

Gusty all night, I'd tried to move the boat yesterday, and failed, so was tied fore and aft on tight chains. Sun peeking out from clouds, sky blue.

Mergus merganser

Pair of comon mergansers in prime breeding plumage, not sure if they are considering residency, they've been paddling up and down for a few weeks.

Edited by LadyG

18 minutes ago, twbm said:

I have developed a theory that yellow weather warnings are sent out by the folks who manage our county's gritters. If you see one the weather's not going to be too bad. 

You remind me that, although we live on a 'bus route which is normally kept clear, I can't remember the last time I saw a gritting lorry going past - an indication of how lucky we've been with our winter weather these last few years.

1 hour ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Where's the snow bomb?  It's here, but not a bomb really - more of a damp squib.

Snow Bomb.jpg

We, in Livingston, have a lot more than that! It is about 6 inches deep this morning. Not a lot but when the snow plough goes past and pushes the snow from the road across your drive, it is a lot of snow to move! Villagers all out shovelling snow.  It is melting but not as fast as it did yesterday. The pattern seems to be snow during the night then thaw the next day ready for more snow . I would rather have snow than the flooding you are having in Englandshire though. 

Stay safe folks

haggis

• Greenie 1

I'm not flooding, and would rather be anywhere but Livingston New Town, snow in Central Belt is slush, horrid stuff.  I d rather be  North, or South, but not Central. I'm never going back!

Edited by LadyG

2 hours ago, Athy said:

You remind me that, although we live on a 'bus route which is normally kept clear, I can't remember the last time I saw a gritting lorry going past - an indication of how lucky we've been with our winter weather these last few years.

A bus route, you are so last century, lol

In another life, I was out of bed at 05.45 following the gritter lorry up Sutton Bank, all worked 'till the day I came across the stalled lorry and 18" mound of grit. I had to overtake the grit lorry, and I was glad I'd opted for  Town and Country tyres,, it was quite exciting on the top, I loved my Mini.

Edited by LadyG

9 minutes ago, LadyG said:

A bus route, you are so last century, lol

What do you mean? Councils usually treat roads which have 'bus routes as a priority when they are gritting or snow-ploughing in bad weather. 

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

I'm not flooding, and would rather be anywhere but Livingston New Town, snow in Central Belt is slush, horrid stuff.  I d rather be  North, or South, but not Central. I'm never going back!

Oh, I don't know if Livingston is all that bad. It has beautiful woods and rivers and open spaces and I can assure you our snow doesn't fall as slush ?. Ok I agree that snow at road sides does get pretty nasty with the muck from vehicles but that happens everywhere. The one thing Livingston doesn't have is a canal but there is one very near. 

I think your view is being affected by living in the west of the country ?

Haggis

4 hours ago, Athy said:

What do you mean? Councils usually treat roads which have 'bus routes as a priority when they are gritting or snow-ploughing in bad weather. 

True.

One of our commumity hospitals was on a hill and regular pleas to the local authority to grit the road for safer patient and staff access regularly fell on deaf ears.

Then a local bus service started, just with one of those buses not much bigger than a mini bus. Loh and behold the gritters would grit the road. Staff in their cars could easily get in and out along with ambulances.

Then they pulled the plug on the bus service.........and guess what stopped the winter afterwards.

Make sure you live on the route that the head of the council roads department takes in to work. ?

Some councils are just better at dealing with snow than others. I lived within Staffordshire Moorlands District Council and they knew how to cope. Gritters out just before it dropped below freezing. Main routes ploughed. On a snowy day you could tell exactly where the border with Stoke council was as you drove. Every year snow was a complete surprise for Smoke on Stench City Council.

25 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Make sure you live on the route that the head of the council roads department takes in to work. ?

Some councils are just better at dealing with snow than others. I lived within Staffordshire Moorlands District Council and they knew how to cope. Gritters out just before it dropped below freezing. Main routes ploughed. On a snowy day you could tell exactly where the border with Stoke council was as you drove. Every year snow was a complete surprise for Smoke on Stench City Council.

I found that when I lived on the outskirts of Wrexham, driving to work one morning I crossed the county border and I thought my steering had gone, I could hardly control the car, pulled over and got out to check and fell over on the black ice, it was fine in the village.

I didn't have land on my arse with a  crash 

4 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

And likewise some give the sense that any weather event, no matter how benign and expected in the context of longer-term climate patterns, is the next entirely unforeseen calamity delaying your journey home for entirely unforeseeable reasons.

I spend a lot of time in snowy places. Some bits of this country do well — but some bits really, really don't. ?