Northwich Quay Marina evacuated

frangar

Featured Posts

It seems from Facebook that Northwich Quay Marina...next to Waitrose...has been evacuated due to rising levels on the Weaver and the boaters taken to a local Premier Inn.

I do wonder why they evacuate when the pontoons are on rising bollards....although Im guessing the design with the boats moored 'Beam on" to the flow doesnt help.

Not good either way....hope all owners and boats make it through.

When Northwich last flooded a year or two ago the flood defences in the town centre were breached and seem to remember the pontoons were close to reaching the top of the bollards. The weaver near Acton Bridge is currently rising and there's no sign of the rain easing. I'm on the T &M near there and the water level is higher than i've ever seen it.

42 minutes ago, Foggy66 said:

When Northwich last flooded a year or two ago the flood defences in the town centre were breached and seem to remember the pontoons were close to reaching the top of the bollards.

If the river gets high enough for the pontoons to come off the top of the piles, there will be an interesting raft floating off downstream!?

5 minutes ago, wandering snail said:

140662150_10224741144337475_431623660127Pictures from friends who are unfortunately on that pontoon by the Odeon. They've packed their grab bags!140742809_10224741145017492_316801554236

Id sit tight!....theres a fair bit of rise left on the posts....Id tie on well and make sure the rope was back to the boat.....It does show the advantage of mooring up with the bow pointing into the flow on a river!...Not much to be gained by leaving the boat in my opinon.

Just now, frangar said:

Id sit tight!....theres a fair bit of rise left on the posts....Id tie on well and make sure the rope was back to the boat.....It does show the advantage of mooring up with the bow pointing into the flow on a river!...Not much to be gained by leaving the boat in my opinon.

Look at the angle of the access ramps near the marina gate.  By the time the pontoons are near the top of the posts, there is going to be no way off the boat if you suddenly need to.

Just now, TheBiscuits said:

Look at the angle of the access ramps near the marina gate.  By the time the pontoons are near the top of the posts, there is going to be no way off the boat if you suddenly need to.

Thats why you should be prepared...Make sure you've got full water/gas and empty toilet then sit it out....part of the joy of a boat is you should be self sufficient...even if you lose shore power etc...With a full water tank I could quite happily sit it out for a couple of weeks without worry

17 minutes ago, frangar said:

Thats why you should be prepared...Make sure you've got full water/gas and empty toilet then sit it out....part of the joy of a boat is you should be self sufficient...even if you lose shore power etc...With a full water tank I could quite happily sit it out for a couple of weeks without worry

They are currently talking risk-to-life evacuation, not a full cassette ...

You'd be the other side of this barrier!

ErsdZmQXAAAY4m0?format=jpg&name=4096x409

48 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

They are currently talking risk-to-life evacuation, not a full cassette ...

You'd be the other side of this barrier!

ErsdZmQXAAAY4m0?format=jpg&name=4096x409

I’d still rather be on the boat!  I’m not actually sure if the powers that be can order you to move. 

14 minutes ago, frangar said:

I’d still rather be on the boat!  I’m not actually sure if the powers that be can order you to move. 

A little googling suggests they can under certain circumstances one of which is protecting human life health or safety.   Interestingly it seems legislation can be created on the spot by "by an appropriately authorised person without approval of parliament."

1 hour ago, frangar said:

Having been moored for 4 days on a pontoon on the Weaver (near the Anderton lift) when the river was in flood (although not as bad as it is now) you become very aware how dependant you are on your ropes or chains not breaking free. I don't give much for the chances of a narrow boat loose on the river when it is flooding like this. 

A boat can be replaced. A life can't. 

haggis 

• Greenie 2

Here's hoping that the occupants  of the boatyard just upstream of the marina are OK. The crew of Spey told me that during the floods last year they lashed down the new, as yet unfitted, planks ashore when it looked like the river would  come right over the top of the island.

MP.

We ended up leaving Emily Anne on the lock landing just below Vale Royal late 2019.

The plan was to go further but the locky was called elsewhere, and then the level came up 2ft over night and we could move no more!

One of the safest places on the whole river I expect. 

Daniel

14 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

Here's hoping that the occupants  of the boatyard just upstream of the marina are OK. The crew of Spey told me that during the floods last year they lashed down the new, as yet unfitted, planks ashore when it looked like the river would  come right over the top of the island.

MP.

A boat was sunk in the wet dock there last time it flooded