No boating this Spring - or ever again?

Tracy D'arth

Featured Posts

On 20/01/2021 at 14:06, Arthur Marshall said:

But re TB's poll, you really wouldn't expect them to come out in favour of CRT over anything, seeing as how the majority left here because we didn't hate CRT enough.

Nice try at rewriting history.

Much like the TD saga. There are plenty of views on his threads that support CRTs actions and some balanced ones too. 

A poll of what 10 people is hardly representing of anythimg.

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Shropshire Union now breached, or leaking, depends which vandal report you believe. Still closed at bridge 80.

Trent & Mersey still got problems.

Oddly, the Bridgewater seldom has any problems, Brindley must have done a better job.

You missed the breach on the Aire and Calder that is stopping commercial traffic and all but closed down Goole docks! No doubt our license fees will be paying Goole docks fees for non operation?

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, peterboat said:

You missed the breach on the Aire and Calder that is stopping commercial traffic and all but closed down Goole docks! No doubt our license fees will be paying Goole docks fees for non operation?

I was not suggesting an exhaustive list of closed canals and  stoppages ------------------------------------------------------ It would have taken too long!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I was not suggesting an exhaustive list of closed canals and  stoppages ------------------------------------------------------ It would have taken too long!

You are right it would have taken a long time to read! My point is though the breach is going to rob us of funds to repair the system for a long time if they dont do something about it sharpish! Its also costing companies their livelihoods and massively increasing pollution  using road transport to move goods that used to move by boat

5 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Are you sure about that, and do you have any proof?

I have been told so but I will get a definitive answer, CRT supply water to ABP [Goole port] in return ABP allow us to use the docks for passage.ABP have had to hire in 8 huge pumps to try and get a level without success. I was chatting to the maintenance manager at Exol and they are really pissed off with CRT as their delivery lorries are blocking up the area, because the Exol pride cant operate, he felt sure that they would be seeking costs. ABP arnt a small outfit so will have a very good contract with CRT

Just a thought about praising CRT. Fair enough praise them all you want, but that won't stop the system going to rack and ruin. 

Anyone want a proper lengthsmans job, walking the cut looking for potential breaches, dropping the pound if it's too high? 

One good thing about the latest breach, it will allow CRT to claim they've spent even more on the infrastructure, on top of Todbrook. How many of those millions could have been saved, spending some employing knowledgeable staff to do preventive/precautionary maintenance. Or even Maintenance! 

• Greenie 3

2 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Thanks. I do try not to.

Actually, it was a cornet I went to see, not a trumpet, and sadly the tuning slides were stuck, so I came home empty handed.

I'm not seing Gazza's posts any more, so if he's still waffling it doesn't matter.  To interpret what I originally said, which I think was fairly obvioously an irreverent and good-tempered comment, as a vicious attack on everything nice people stand for does, I think, show a pretty weird attitude,

Anyway, back on topic, I can't see why we shouldn't get some boating in around Easter. The hire firms will be desperate for it, the vaccination programme should be having a substantial effect by then - and, if it doesn't, then we're just going to have to live with Covid, get on with stuff and accept the consequences. Admittedly the sytem is slowly falling to bits, but we've know that for years.

Fill it with Plus Gas and hang it up for a few days.

Thread a cloth through the loops on the slides,and pull while keeping the slides in the steam from a boiling kettle.

1 hour ago, thebfg said:

Nice try at rewriting history.

Much like the TD saga. There are plenty of views on his threads that support CRTs actions and some balanced ones too. 

A poll of what 10 people is hardly representing of anythimg.

My dear chap, I'm not rewriting anything. You have obviously forgotten this is a discussion forum. I merely stated an opinion, based on what I've seen. It is possible that I am wrong, and I look forward to seeing the many CRT supporting posts on the other side (though they do appear to be terribly easy to miss). I shall keep an eye out specially for them.  It is also possible that, in misrepresenting what I said, you just enjoy trying, but in your juvenile way failing,  to insult people.  But there again, you may just be not very good at understanding what you read.

Sadly, this excuse is belied by your last sentence which, of course, is entirely correct, and is actually the first sensible comment that sheds some light on this poll. Not, you understand, that this has anything to do with the topic under discussion, but then that appears virtually irrelevant when compared with the aggressive insecurity shown by you and your thunderous friends.

I really don't understand why you care? No-one on this forum gives a toss what is said about it on TB, so why do the members of that forum care so much about what is said on this? They are different, both serving a purpose for their members and helping people enjoy boating. There really isn't a problem. We can make jokes about TB, you can do the same there, should there be anyone who understands the concept.

2 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Fill it with Plus Gas and hang it up for a few days.

Thread a cloth through the loops on the slides,and pull while keeping the slides in the steam from a boiling kettle.

The owner's going to do something like that, but apparently Yamahas are very prone to getting very badly stuck  and this hasn't been played for eight years. If he comes down on the price I'll take it to the guy who fixed my trombone when I dropped it. But we hadn't thought of Plusgas - I'll pass it on.

13 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

My dear chap, I'm not rewriting anything. You have obviously forgotten this is a discussion forum. I merely stated an opinion, based on what I've seen. It is possible that I am wrong, and I look forward to seeing the many CRT supporting posts on the other side (though they do appear to be terribly easy to miss). I shall keep an eye out specially for them.  It is also possible that, in misrepresenting what I said, you just enjoy trying, but in your juvenile way failing,  to insult people.  But there again, you may just be not very good at understanding what you read.

Sadly, this excuse is belied by your last sentence which, of course, is entirely correct, and is actually the first sensible comment that sheds some light on this poll. Not, you understand, that this has anything to do with the topic under discussion, but then that appears virtually irrelevant when compared with the aggressive insecurity shown by you and your thunderous friends.

I really don't understand why you care? No-one on this forum gives a toss what is said about it on TB, so why do the members of that forum care so much about what is said on this? They are different, both serving a purpose for their members and helping people enjoy boating. There really isn't a problem. We can make jokes about TB, you can do the same there, should there be anyone who understands the concept.

Kind of contradicting yourself with the above highlighted words, you must read a fair bit of it to be so sure that there are no kind comments for CRT?

26 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

Kind of contradicting yourself with the above highlighted words, you must read a fair bit of it to be so sure that there are no kind comments for CRT?

It's such a shame you can't read. "an opinion, based on what I've seen", comes really, really, near the start.

Try harder, it's only letters, one after another, arranged in different ways.  You can have lessons.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

It's such a shame you can't read. "an opinion, based on what I've seen", comes really, really, near the start.

Try harder, it's only letters, one after another, arranged in different ways.  You can have lessons.

So you make opinions on very little research.

Bet car sellers love you.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

?  I AM REALLY SORRY THAT i STARTED THIS TOPIC. ?

It has degenerated into an unpleasant slanging match and that was never my intention.

Please stop it.

If you have nothing constructive to say please pass by.   ?

I'm afraid that, once we start a topic, we cannot control where it wanders off to, though by further posting we may seek to influence its direction.

Different people may have different notions of what is "constructive" and, as long as they stay within our guidelines (as, I think, everyone has so far) they may post what they will.

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

?  I AM REALLY SORRY THAT i STARTED THIS TOPIC. ?

It has degenerated into an unpleasant slanging match and that was never my intention.

Please stop it.

If you have nothing constructive to say please pass by.   ?

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions!

Know where you're coming from,I started a post defending a member,and the result was that member got even more abuse.

• Greenie 1

I find the subject of the relationship between Thunderboat and here puzzling. To my mind, there is room for both and like many others I often read both. No harm in that and it seems to happen in both directions. Ok we may have a preference for one or the other and see something on the other side we are not comfortable with but most of us just shrug our shoulders and move on. Occasionally though, someone voices an opinion and it seems like all Hell is let loose. 

Take this example where a remark on here was taken exception to by someone on the other side and not content with just saying so on here, they put up a post on Thunderboat and it was  like lighting the blue touch paper. The last  time I looked no less than three people who frequent CW DF were being slated in that thread. I think that is one of the differences between the two sites. On here we don't really go in for character assassinations whereas the other side seem to enjoy them. A shame as without it there is no reason why the sites can't exist quite happily together.

Haggis

• Greenie 3

I'd just like to say, as a probable slate (beats being a brick, or something consonantally close), that I agree with everything Haggis says above. And, if I am one of those being discussed elsewhere, as seems possible, it is my opinion that they have every right to do so and I'm sure it's being conducted in a thoughtful, positive and non-abusive manner. Just as we have the right, on here, to comment about anything elsewhere. 

And it would be nice to get back to the topic...

• Greenie 2