No boating this Spring - or ever again?

Tracy D'arth

Featured Posts

Looking at the long list of stoppages and getting more 'emergency' ones by the day, it looks like most of March is already a write off with Winter stoppages being delayed or overrunning.

I am appalled at the number of canals that will be closed in March, I cannot find a through route anywhere I would want to go.

I see the recent poll on Thunderboat  clearly shows a desire to rid ourselves of Mr. Parry and his Charity as well.  Not at all surprised.

TD'

9 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I see the recent poll on Thunderboat  clearly shows a desire to rid ourselves of Mr. Parry and his Charity as well.  Not at all surprised.

But what did the Thunderboaters come up with by way of constructive suggestions for the replacement of Mr. Parry and his Charity?

• Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, David Mack said:

But what did the Thunderboaters come up with by way of constructive suggestions for the replacement of Mr. Parry and his Charity?

I dun know, go look for yourself, I only visit when very very bored.  Its even more boring than here!!!!

• Happy 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

I'm currently moored in Worcestershire.  Vaguely thinking of heading to London in spring (lockdown allowing).  The only stoppage I can see en-route is in Berko and that's due to end by 19th March.  Am I missing something?

You obviously don't want to go where Tracy does

3 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

I'm currently moored in Worcestershire.  Vaguely thinking of heading to London in spring (lockdown allowing).  The only stoppage I can see en-route is in Berko and that's due to end by 19th March.  Am I missing something?

You aren't miserable enough or looking for any reason to bash CRT like some seem to.

• Haha 2

Shropshire Union now breached, or leaking, depends which vandal report you believe. Still closed at bridge 80.

Trent & Mersey still got problems.

Oddly, the Bridgewater seldom has any problems, Brindley must have done a better job.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, twbm said:

Whoa there ... a number of contributors on Thunderboat expressing an opinion doesn't mean we all agree with them any more than it does here.   

Indeed, but I can't recall seeing anyone having the nerve to put a post supporting CRT on there*. At least here you get both sides of the argument.

*There again, I may have missed all the pro-crt posts. I only go there to follow the Tony Dunkley saga.

1 minute ago, gazza said:

Why do people like you persist in peddling untruths like that?

You are about as wide of the mark as can be.

The rift that existed has been doing a fine job of being left in the past until people like you decide to poke the hornets nest once more.

What do you get out of behaving like this? a weird sense of moral superiority? A pat on the head and a biscuit for towing the fake news party line?

Im genuinely baffled, your picture shows you to have been on the planet long enough to know better.

Oh crap. I have no quarrel with TB as I have said many times - so why come out with a barrel  of (typical TBish) abuse? Presumably because you're too thin skinned to take any comment.

If there has been a raft of praise for anything CRT have ever done on TB it's exceedingly well hidden. Nowt wrong with that, informed criticism of any organisation is important and valuable, but your pretence that anyone would get a balanced view of CRT from TB is ridiculous.

The idea that there is a "rift" betwen the two forums is as pathetic as the supposed one that exists between CCers and home moorers, or widebeams and nbs. It's nonsense - in thirty years of boating I've seen no evidence of the former, and the fact that so many are members of  both belies the latter. The two forums are different and therefore valuable each in its way.

The chip on your shoulder is showing  and it's time you grew up and learnt that commentary is acceptable, and sometimes valid, and doesn't need such a childish response.

• Greenie 1
  • Angry 1

45 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Oh crap. I have no quarrel with TB as I have said many times - so why come out with a barrel  of (typical TBish) abuse? Presumably because you're too thin skinned to take any comment.

If there has been a raft of praise for anything CRT have ever done on TB it's exceedingly well hidden. Nowt wrong with that, informed criticism of any organisation is important and valuable, but your pretence that anyone would get a balanced view of CRT from TB is ridiculous.

The idea that there is a "rift" betwen the two forums is as pathetic as the supposed one that exists between CCers and home moorers, or widebeams and nbs. It's nonsense - in thirty years of boating I've seen no evidence of the former, and the fact that so many are members of  both belies the latter. The two forums are different and therefore valuable each in its way.

The chip on your shoulder is showing  and it's time you grew up and learnt that commentary is acceptable, and sometimes valid, and doesn't need such a childish response.

I’ll quote this.

Abuse? Nope.

Thin skinned? Nope.

Who cares it brings nothing to this forum whether ther is or isn’t praise for CRT on TB

Never said there was or was not balanced option on CRT over at TB

The rift exists exactly because of people like you - to deny it is nonsense.

Chip on my shoulder - pull the other one!

Grew up - must try harder

Childish response? - you need new specs.

You are aware your most of your post is pretty close to breaching your beloved forums rules and guidelines aren’t  you?

Edited by gazza
  • Greenie 2

39 minutes ago, gazza said:

I’ll quote this.

Abuse? Nope.

Thin skinned? Nope.

Who cares it brings nothing to this forum whether ther is or isn’t praise for CRT on TB

Never said there was or was not balanced option on CRT over at TB

The rift exists exactly because of people like you - to deny it is nonsense.

Chip on my shoulder - pull the other one!

Grew up - must try harder

Childish response? - you need new specs.

You are aware your most of your post is pretty close to breaching your beloved forums rules and guidelines aren’t  you?

Would have merited the usual one word reply on TB. Luckily, we're more grown up here. Sorry,  won't be continuing this polite discussion (on a forum where differing opinions are allowed) with you, but please don't take it as due to anything but lack of time and interest. I've got to go and see a man about a trumpet.

1 hour ago, gazza said:

Assuming that you mean "You're aware that...", which parts precisely? Prompted by your assertion, I have re-read Arthur's post carefully and can fin nothing which comes close to breaching our rules.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

Assuming that you mean "You're aware that...", which parts precisely? Prompted by your assertion, I have re-read Arthur's post carefully and can fin nothing which comes close to breaching our rules.

Thanks. I do try not to.

Actually, it was a cornet I went to see, not a trumpet, and sadly the tuning slides were stuck, so I came home empty handed.

I'm not seing Gazza's posts any more, so if he's still waffling it doesn't matter.  To interpret what I originally said, which I think was fairly obvioously an irreverent and good-tempered comment, as a vicious attack on everything nice people stand for does, I think, show a pretty weird attitude,

Anyway, back on topic, I can't see why we shouldn't get some boating in around Easter. The hire firms will be desperate for it, the vaccination programme should be having a substantial effect by then - and, if it doesn't, then we're just going to have to live with Covid, get on with stuff and accept the consequences. Admittedly the sytem is slowly falling to bits, but we've know that for years.

28 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Thanks. I do try not to.

Actually, it was a cornet I went to see, not a trumpet, and sadly the tuning slides were stuck, so I came home empty handed.

I'm not seing Gazza's posts any more, so if he's still waffling it doesn't matter.  To interpret what I originally said, which I think was fairly obvioously an irreverent and good-tempered comment, as a vicious attack on everything nice people stand for does, I think, show a pretty weird attitude,

Anyway, back on topic, I can't see why we shouldn't get some boating in around Easter. The hire firms will be desperate for it, the vaccination programme should be having a substantial effect by then - and, if it doesn't, then we're just going to have to live with Covid, get on with stuff and accept the consequences. Admittedly the sytem is slowly falling to bits, but we've know that for years.

Bless.

if it makes you feel better I had paint to watch while It dried.

• Greenie 2

6 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Oddly, the Bridgewater seldom has any problems

They seldom publicly report any problems, but that's not quite the same thing.

I got stuck at Barton Swing Aqueduct for 25 hours when the tank jammed open last June.  Because the Rochdale was closed for maintenance at the time the water levels dropped about 18" in Castlefield Basin overnight.  Neither the stuck tank or the water level issue were reported on the Bridgewater website or any other official channel. 

CRT would have put a stoppage notice up as soon as they knew there was a problem, with an estimate of when the next update would be.  It wouldn't have changed the time it took to fix, but it would have kept boaters informed.

18 minutes ago, gazza said:

18 minutes ago, gazza said:

The last line is a corker ?

As the last line says "and guidelines are subject to change", it is hard to see what is corking about it.

Edited by Athy