New '5-minute charge' BEV batteries.

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

When working out the cost of running these electric cars per mile does anyone put in the depreciation here or are we assuming ( wrongly ) that they dont depreciate? and or the cost of replacing the battery pack to make them saleable when a few years old?

46 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

When working out the cost of running these electric cars per mile does anyone put in the depreciation here or are we assuming ( wrongly ) that they dont depreciate? and or the cost of replacing the battery pack to make them saleable when a few years old?

My cost per mile is just the electric, what the depreciation will be in several years time is anyone's guess, same for battery, I am an early adopter so expect to gamble on the future just for the chance of going electric, comparing costs at this early stage of EVs is pointless. 

If you're doubtful about the future of EVs you'll just have to plod on with ICE and wait and see.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, nb Innisfree said:

My cost per mile is just the electric, what the depreciation will be in several years time is anyone's guess, same for battery, I am an early adopter so expect to gamble on the future just for the chance of going electric, comparing costs at this early stage of EVs is pointless. 

If you're doubtful about the future of EVs you'll just have to plod on with ICE and wait and see.

This is what I fully intend to do. Zero depreciation and better the devil and all that. Luckily I am of an age that will have stopped driving b4 lectric is all thats available. I am not in doubt that lectric or something else will come to fruition just pleased its not for a few years yet. I dont plod on though I assure you I pass more Teslas on the motorway than pass me as they are always in the middle lane worried about range, honestly try it when you are next out and you will see what I mean.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Secondhand EVs command a premium Tim I have been looking recently as my savings in reality are going down not up! I would rather save running costs than money in the bank. 

Just now, peterboat said:

Secondhand EVs command a premium Tim I have been looking recently as my savings in reality are going down not up! I would rather save running costs than money in the bank. 

Very sensible. Having loads of  money in the bank to leave behind when you die is a numpty thing. The five saddest words in a phrase being " He died a wealthy man "

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

This is what I fully intend to do. Zero depreciation and better the devil and all that. Luckily I am of an age that will have stopped driving b4 lectric is all thats available. I am not in doubt that lectric or something else will come to fruition just pleased its not for a few years yet. I dont plod on though I assure you I pass more Teslas on the motorway than pass me as they are always in the middle lane worried about range, honestly try it when you are next out and you will see what I mean.

Tim the Tesla's I see are normally blurs as they leave other cars for dead!

When I was in London before Christmas electric cars were very prolific and on the motorway there and back we saw more Tesla's than Jags common as muck they are 

Just now, peterboat said:

Tim the Tesla's I see are normally blurs as they leave other cars for dead!

When I was in London before Christmas electric cars were very prolific and on the motorway there and back we saw more Tesla's than Jags common as muck they are 

I suggest you google in reality how many MILLIONS and MILLIONS and MILLIONS of ice cars are on our roads as against how many electric there are, even if you add pretend electric with internal combustion engines in them. As for genuinely electric its a miniscule amount, growing yes but still miniscule. :P

9 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I suggest you google in reality how many MILLIONS and MILLIONS and MILLIONS of ice cars are on our roads as against how many electric there are, even if you add pretend electric with internal combustion engines in them. As for genuinely electric its a miniscule amount, growing yes but still miniscule. :P

Petrol and diesel going up in price weekly here and EV sales are outselling diesels its changing 

2 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

For me the satisfaction I get from driving a quiet, fast cheap to run and rustproof car after decades of slowly rotting cars and complicated engines is well worth the high purchase price, each to their own. 

Carbon fiber arnt they? I have a dealer friend of mine looking for a Rex for me currently 

19 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Carbon fiber arnt they? I have a dealer friend of mine looking for a Rex for me currently 

Carbon Fibre Re-enforced Plastic, only weighs 1.3 tonnes, pure CF would be too expensive. Early models were quicker 0-30mph than a BMW V8 but put too much strain on drive cogs, so they were eased off via software, result is a tad slow for the first second from standstill but then rockets away in silence, from 30/40 mph the instant torque can catch you out a bit until you get used to it. Beware any model over £40k when new as it will incur £360 pa VED from 2nd to 6th year, also applies to any car over £40k, no exception for EVs

ETA: Fabulous to drive. ?

Edited by nb Innisfree
  • Greenie 1

6 hours ago, IanD said:

That's 1.6l/100km which is still pretty damn good, far lower then any ICE. What's your battery pack capacity/electric-only range?

Sorry - I've been away from the computer so didn't see this. The advertised battery range of the Ampera/Volt is 25 to 50 miles so not great.

And those figures are optimistic (probably OK in California but not in the UK) I have only once reached 50 miles before the petrol generator kicked in  and during cold wet UK winters the range can drop as low as 23 miles - having said that, the car is designed to only ever use about 10.5 kWh from a battery capacity of 16.5 kWh - this means the charging system cuts out when the battery is at 80% charge and the generator cuts in when it gets down to around 20%. There was one occasion when I managed to get onto the M6 toll road by mistake (don't ask) with the battery exhausted and only a few litres of fuel left for the petrol generator.  The car reverted to battery power when the petrol ran out and I was able to get off the motorway and drive a total of 8 miles to a petrol station. It was a foolhardy experiment because I passed a motorway service station (petrol very expensive) but I remain impressed that the car allowed me to do it.

When I started off again the generator ran without issues and recharged the battery up to 50% capacity in 'mountain mode'.

There is more info on these amazing vehicles here.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Mine's a lease car so I'm not the slightest bit interested ? but the battery is warranted for 8 years - and the software allows you to monitor performance. I'll let you know in a couple of years how  it is doing.

The other big financial benefit is benefit in kind. Mine is a 'company car' despite only doing a bit of work!......but at present that means nothing to pay on what we used to call company car tax. It will change shortly but I should get 2-3 years of benefit.

Edited by Dr Bob

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I dont plod on though I assure you I pass more Teslas on the motorway than pass me as they are always in the middle lane worried about range, honestly try it when you are next out and you will see what I mean.

I tend to do 70mph in the middle lane now 'cause the autopilot can then do most of the work. It makes driving very easy. You'll find a lot of the teslas you see are doing the same thing.

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I tend to do 70mph in the middle lane now 'cause the autopilot can then do most of the work. It makes driving very easy. You'll find a lot of the teslas you see are doing the same thing.

And, if you are doing 70 mph on a motorway, the only people who overtake you will either be emergency vehicles or criminals . . .

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Dont you mean 50? do 70 and they will only be able to go to the shop and back before needing a re charge ?

8 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Dont you mean 50? do 70 and they will only be able to go to the shop and back before needing a re charge ?

Personally I think the speed limit would be better set at 50 than 70. We live almost three miles from the M40 but the constant drone of vehicles is clearly audible from our boat and it goes on all through the night. It is obvious that the noise is more than just engine noise it is mostly tyre noise and that means that there is a high degree of friction caused by rolling resistance which all adds to pollution. What do you think happens to all that dust/debris that is rubbed off the tyres? This is especially the case with modern so called SUVs that seem to be fitted with tractor tyres. Cutting the speed of traffic would significantly reduce pollution as well as reducing the noise. This could easily be achieved by the compulsory fitting of speed limiting devices.

12 minutes ago, NB Alnwick said:

Personally I think the speed limit would be better set at 50 than 70. We live almost three miles from the M40 but the constant drone of vehicles is clearly audible from our boat and it goes on all through the night. It is obvious that the noise is more than just engine noise it is mostly tyre noise and that means that there is a high degree of friction caused by rolling resistance which all adds to pollution. What do you think happens to all that dust/debris that is rubbed off the tyres? This is especially the case with modern so called SUVs that seem to be fitted with tractor tyres. Cutting the speed of traffic would significantly reduce pollution as well as reducing the noise. This could easily be achieved by the compulsory fitting of speed limiting devices.

So rather than slow everyone down, reduce the max weight of passenger cars, and get rid of overweight polluting cars.  

• Greenie 2

7 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

So rather than slow everyone down, reduce the max weight of passenger cars, and get rid of overweight polluting cars.  

That is one way - I can't see the logic of making cars heavier and fitting them with bigger and wider tyres - all of which simply adds to pollution.

As an example, if I want to ride faster on a bicycle, I choose a lightweight model with the thinnest tyres.

Edited by NB Alnwick
predictive text.

4 minutes ago, NB Alnwick said:

That is one way - I can't see the logic of making cars heavier and fitting them with bigger and wider tyres - all of which simply adds to pollution.

As an example, if I want to ride faster on a bicycle, I choose a lightweight model with the thinnest tyres.

I agree but what about little Petunia being dropped at the school gates by yummy mummy? If its not the latest piece of crap Range Rover it simply will not do. Personaly I do my bit by only buying very old cars in well maintained condition therefore unlike " Green " people who buy the up to date electric stuff I arnt contributing to the huge amount of pollution made when building these " Green " vehicles.

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I agree but what about little Petunia being dropped at the school gates by yummy mummy? If its not the latest piece of crap Range Rover it simply will not do. Personaly I do my bit by only buying very old cars in well maintained condition therefore unlike " Green " people who buy the up to date electric stuff I arnt contributing to the huge amount of pollution made when building these " Green " vehicles.

Your an angel smelly, a shining beacon of light in a dark immoral world ?

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

If peeps bought a decent EV then they would have no problem!:P

30 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

I fully agree. There is no need for SUVs. Just whack a load of tax on them - £1000 per year.......or maybe restrict them to 50mph.

22 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Mine's white not green.

• Haha 1